Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legislation to make organ donations automatic

Options
  • 02-01-2019 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭

ORGAN donation after death will be automatic unless stated otherwise under new laws set to be drafted in next month.

Health Minister Simon Harris will introduce the legislation to make Ireland an “opt-out country”.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/legislation-make-organ-donations-automatic-15617891

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Sensible idea

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Decision rests with the family, as it always did.
    Welcome move though

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Great and I hope this helps, opt out is a fantastic idea. It looks like the family can however prevent the donation. I would be mightily p!ssed if my wishes were for donation and they were not followed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Surely this goes against one of the main ideas of GDPR. No database should list someone, with an opt-out to remove them from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Decision rests with the family, as it always did.
    Welcome move though

Not necessarily.
    If a person is on the opt-out register, their next-of-kin will not be asked to discuss organ donation.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Surely this goes against one of the main ideas of GDPR. No database should list someone, with an opt-out to remove them from it.

The database would contain the name of those that opt out, everyone else is "in" without the need to be listed individually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I wont be donating any of my organs .

Medication I'm on stops me being of value in this regard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Snotty wrote: »
    The database would contain the name of those that opt out, everyone else is "in" without the need to be listed individually.

You can't put someone down by default and make them opt out. It has to be opt in.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You can't put someone down by default and make them opt out. It has to be opt in.

You can and it very much doesnt have to be opt in.

Plenty of places are opt out.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Only the people who opt out of donations will be on any list.
    They are agreeing to be on that list, I.e. Opting in.
    Everyone else continues as normal until dead, when gdpr becomes irrelevant anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

completely in favour of organ donation and whoeverwants mine will be very welcome to them but i dont believe for one minute that Simon harris could organise a cat fight so ill hold out on this legislation til ill see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ants09

You can and it very much doesnt have to be opt in.

Plenty of places are opt out.

The GDPR lists specific requirements for lawful consent requests, but must also be given with a clear affirmative action.

In other words, individuals need a mechanism that requires a deliberate action to opt in, as opposed to pre-ticked boxes.

Although the GDPR doesn’t specifically ban opt-out consent, the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) says that opt-out options “are essentially the same as pre-ticked boxes, which are banned”.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

For inclusion on certain databases yes. It doesn't govern any time anyone uses the phrase "opt out" however.

GDPR doesn't govern opting out from organ donation unless there's a database involved (and legislation could possibly make that use GDPR exempt anyway). If you opt out from organ donation you're opting in to be included on the list. Different uses of the phrase.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Only the people who opt out of donations will be on any list.
    They are agreeing to be on that list, I.e. Opting in.
    Everyone else continues as normal until dead, when gdpr becomes irrelevant anyway.

You can't agree to be on the list by default. Under GDPR you have to opt in.

TheChizler wrote: »
    For inclusion on certain databases yes. It doesn't govern all uses of the phrase opt out however.

Opt-out options “are essentially the same as pre-ticked boxes, which are banned”.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,667 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'm kind of on the fence with it, one part of me says what's the point in putting perfectly good body parts in the ground which could save someones life, another part of me says what right has the goverment to harvest a body for parts. I think each person in the country should have to specify either for or against what they want to become of their body and be legally required to do so before X date.

ants09 wrote: »

What he's saying is that the list is for those who don't want to be donors. I. E. You are opting in to the non-donor database

Opt-out options “are essentially the same as pre-ticked boxes, which are banned”.
    For a specific meaning in relation to databases. It doesn't come in to play any time someone says "opt out".

For instance I could opt out of this conversation any time, that didn't mean there's been a GDPR breach as the appropriate protocols weren't followed when I joined the conversation, I'm just using a phrase. That meaning has a much to do with GDPR as saying you don't want to donate your organs.

People bring up GDPR at every turn, it really has to be one of the most widely and incorrectly invoked in conversation regulations ever, no offence intended to anyone.

What he's saying is that the list is for those who don't want to be donors. I. E. You are opting in to the non-donor database

Clearly you don't understand GDPR

For a specific meaning in relation to databases. It doesn't come in to play any time someone says "opt out".

What part if GDPR are you relying on.

As under GDPR you have to opt in not opt out.

Just because some places use the opt out thing, doesn't make it legal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 dave699

Think its a great idea. Should've been brought in years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

there is no list.

Only the people who opt out of donations are on a list.

What part if GDPR are you relying on.

As under GDPR you have to opt in not opt out.

Just because some places use the opt out thing, doesn't make it legal
    You're opting in to inclusion on the list of people who do not wish to donate organs. This statement has GDPR connotations.

Another way of saying this is that you're opting out of organ donation (note no mention of a list). This has no direct GDPR connotations.

You're not opting out of being on a list, you're option or if doing something.

It's English people...

GreeBo wrote: »
    there is no list.

Only the people who opt out of donations are on a list.

There is no list.
    But then you say only the people who opt out be on the list.
    So yes there is a list
    Then GDPR is applicable and you can't opt out to be on that list.
    Simon Harris is in cloud co co land and yes he bring this to the dial.
    The AG will advise him that you can't opt out to be on a list.

There is no list.
    But then you say only the people who opt out be on the list.
    So yes there is a list
    Then GDPR is applicable and you can't opt out to be on that list.
    Simon Harris is in cloud co co land and yes he bring this to the dial.
    The AG will advise him that you can't opt out to be on a list.
    Please tell me you're winding us up! :D

You're opting in to inclusion on the list of people who do not wish to donate organs. This statement has GDPR connotations.

Another way of saying this is that you're opting out of organ donation (note no mention of a list). This has no direct GDPR connotations.

You're not opting out of being on a list, you're option or if doing something.

It's English people...

You can't be on a list by default ie organ donation and then have to opt out if you don't want to donate your organs.

GDPR is very specific, you have to be given the option to opt in not opt out.

Clearly you don't understand GDPR

<snip> Here it is in plain English. Everybody who wants to keep their organs after death has to opt-in to a database stating they wish to do so.

Please tell me you're winding us up! :D

As if.

Clearly you're being a condescending wind up merchant. Here it is in plain English. Everybody who wants to keep their organs after death has to opt-in to a database stating they wish to do so.

You a problem with my message report it.

• Advertisement

You can't be on a list by default ie organ donation and then have to opt out if you don't want to donate your organs.

GDPR is very specific, you have to be given the option to opt in not opt out.

There is no list of organ donors. There is a list of those who don't want to donate.

Advertisement