Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresh Chillies, where to buy?

Options
  • 25-12-2018 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭

Anyone know a good place to buy these around Dublin. Looking to try my hand a making a 'tobbasco' type sauce so want a decent amount.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,336 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Tesco usually have a few varieties of chilli. Aldi had a medium and hot selection.

Asian supermarkets are the only way to go for fresh chillies. There is an excellent one on parnell st, opposite the Shakespeare (near the corner with Marlborough St) who do a rake of different ones for very cheap.

You could also buy dried chillies from Picado Mexican Pantry up near the Bernard Shaw pub. They sell all kinds of dried Mexican ones, but they need to be boiled before making them into sauces. That's what I use, as they have some serious flavour. Then add super hot ones for heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yep second Asian supermarkets. They'll have a good selection and the hot varieties like pinhead and scotch bonnets if that floats yer boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

You could also buy dried chillies from Picado Mexican Pantry up near the Bernard Shaw pub. They sell all kinds of dried Mexican ones, but they need to be boiled before making them into sauces. That's what I use, as they have some serious flavour. Then add super hot ones for heat.

I have used dried ones myself, even bulked out the mix with powder I had around. Very happy with the results. Fermentation is my next experiment, I will visit those places you recomended.

Smiles35 wrote: »
    I have used dried ones myself, even bulked out the mix with powder I had around. Very happy with the results. Fermentation is my next experiment, I will visit those places you recomended.

The results, I've found, are that bit thicker when you use dried fruit. You end up having to use more vinegar or oil to get the consistency correct. Little tip: a little lime juice or something sweet like a bit of mango goes a long way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 JobsMan

Does anyone have a recipe/process for making hot sauce? Should I cook my chillies or just mash them up in pestle and mortar. I'm assuming i'd need to get rid of the skins?

Advertisement