Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Total beginner

Options
  • 18-12-2018 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all. I've been lurking a bit lately and decided to sign up to see if I can get some answers to a couple of questions.

Quick bit of background regarding my own situation. Late 20s, salary of 35k, putting 1k p/m into savings a/c and contributing to a pension. Considering dropping the 1k p/m down to 800 and then investing the 200 balance (should this 200 be invested each month or only annually?)

- I've had a search around here (and askaboutmoney) for a "guide" of sorts for people with zero experience in investing but I didn't find what I'm looking for. Is there one out there? Failing that, is there a particular post/thread that I should give a good read over which I might have missed?

- I find the whole area of CGT and investing confusing. Those who know the ins and outs of this: did you get professional advice or is it something you just know at this stage? Again, is there a guide out there or something similiar that you would recommend reading?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭beaner92

romalo wrote: »
    Hi all. I've been lurking a bit lately and decided to sign up to see if I can get some answers to a couple of questions.

Quick bit of background regarding my own situation. Late 20s, salary of 35k, putting 1k p/m into savings a/c and contributing to a pension. Considering dropping the 1k p/m down to 800 and then investing the 200 balance (should this 200 be invested each month or only annually?)

- I've had a search around here (and askaboutmoney) for a "guide" of sorts for people with zero experience in investing but I didn't find what I'm looking for. Is there one out there? Failing that, is there a particular post/thread that I should give a good read over which I might have missed?

- I find the whole area of CGT and investing confusing. Those who know the ins and outs of this: did you get professional advice or is it something you just know at this stage? Again, is there a guide out there or something similiar that you would recommend reading?

Thanks.

For 200 pm I would say just dollar average into a mutual sp500 index fund. or a 2x leveraged etf. You wont see sky high returns but it would be alot better returns than your KBC savings account long term.

Now there is blood in the water in the markets this period will last at least till mid 2019 in my opinion . Start to buy 200 each month, regardless of the price.. You can do this yourself no need to consult a broker. Just open an account with interactive brokers .

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Shai

Interactive Brokers' fee structure is pretty bad for a long-term investor. DeGiro will be better.

Advertisement