Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2012 Cooking Club Week 40: Stuffing Balls

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭RuckingSwimmer

Made a big batch of these to bring to my Mam's for Christmas dinner! My OH has a gluten intolerance so used Aldi's gluten free sausages and Lidl's gluten free bread. Was going by memory and forgot the egg but they bound together fine and my tester bit didn't fall apart. Put them in the freezer last night and into bags this morning - can't wait to eat them ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Big batch in freezer ready to go. Made up a couple of testers first. Seriously nice, can't wait to roll em in gravy, thanks for posting

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,148 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I'll be down in Kerry this year with the in laws. So no major cooking for me. Mother in law rang tonight. Wanted me to make stuffing balls, baz style, and a batch of roasties. Hey, if the lady is doing the bird, I oblige.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

heading to Aldi this evening to pick up some sausage meat and this year im thinking of making some like a meat loaf.

cook it in a tray or tin then slice it, reckon it might be perfect for sambos .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,626 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

blueshed wrote: »
    heading to Aldi this evening to pick up some sausage meat and this year im thinking of making some like a meat loaf.

cook it in a tray or tin then slice it, reckon it might be perfect for sambos .

It might just sag down to a flat pancake. Roll it in some tinfoil, twist the ends together. Put in the fridge for a couple of hours before roasting for an hour or so. Leave in the tinfoil until cold. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Daintydoll1

Awesome recipe thanks so much...always great to be able to prep as much as possible before the big day! I'm currently freezing a batch on a baking tray - can I just ask is it ok to pop them in to freezer bags once frozen through or what is the best way to store them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Awesome recipe thanks so much...always great to be able to prep as much as possible before the big day! I'm currently freezing a batch on a baking tray - can I just ask is it ok to pop them in to freezer bags once frozen through or what is the best way to store them?

I just freeze them in freezer bags, see pic below.

Then just leave them in the fridge the night before to defrost. It's important to spread them thin in the freezer bags so that they freeze and defrost quickly.

On the day I just cut open the bag(s) and score them in half, half again, etc. until they're divided into 16 even balls. I find that this is the quickest way to do them when strapped for time.

404516.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Daintydoll1

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I just freeze them in freezer bags, see pic below.

Then just leave them in the fridge the night before to defrost. It's important to spread them thin in the freezer bags so that they freeze and defrost quickly.

On the day I just cut open the bag(s) and score them in half, half again, etc. until they're divided into 16 even balls. I find that this is the quickest way to do them when strapped for time.

404516.JPG

Thanks so much! That makes more sense than making them into balls and freezing them then which is what I did🙈 I'll allow loads of time to defrost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Stuffing balls done, ready to go for tomorrow.... I'm drooling already 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭.red.

Lisha wrote: »
    Stuffing balls done, ready to go for tomorrow.... I'm drooling already 😊

Mine are done too. Got the kids to help make them. Looking forward to the feast.
    Merry Christmas everyone!

• Advertisement

Making these this morning to go with out dinner. Happy Christmas folks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭savemefrom

I'm i the only one that uses potatoes instead of breadcrumbs?

savemefrom wrote: »
    I'm i the only one that uses potatoes instead of breadcrumbs?

Huh? Potatoes? Really? Sounds a bit odd tbh.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Made these yesterday and omg they were amazing. Everyone loved them! Thanks a mill op!

These went down a treat on Christmas day. Thanks OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Had these Christmas day, really really good and can be amended further if required (I added chilli because I'm a bit odd)

We were discussing doing Christmas dinner this year before bed areir, and I wake up with a craving for these again. If you get an itch, scratch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Dearest Bazmo. I've just made a batch of these bad boys and they're in the freezer as we speak. Merry Christmas HoHoHo!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

Not made yet, but definitely on the menu!

• Advertisement

Mine are also in the freezer.
    I could honestly give a few extras of these instead of the turkey and nobody would mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

So I’m home alone tonight and not in the slightest bit sleepy (insomniac). If I make them now am I best to freeze them for Christmas Day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,626 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

So I’m home alone tonight and not in the slightest bit sleepy (insomniac). If I make them now am I best to freeze them for Christmas Day?

No, they should be fine in the fridge for a couple of days.....

Yeah they’ll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Prepped them last night to cook today. Has anyone tried airfrying them?

Edit: Yes you can. A fraction dryer maybe than the oven but yummy. Made them with pork and apple sausages this year

I did another batch of these earlier and just popped them into the freezer for the big day.
    Also did some croquettes and froze them down too. So easy and much nicer than shop bought ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

It's Christmas eve, that means Stuffing balls in our household.

I’m mad to start the stuffing balls... am trying to make room in fridge for them.

Red velvet cupcakes and stuffing balls are all I’m interested in doing now.

Lisha wrote: »
    I’m mad to start the stuffing balls... am trying to make room in fridge for them.

Red velvet cupcakes and stuffing balls are all I’m interested in doing now.

Just make them but don’t make them into balls. Easier to put into fridge that way. You could make the balls tomorrow before you cook them.

Love it Bazmo, you are like the Christmas gift that keeps on giving :)

Happy Christmas All!

Just finished another double batch of these and popped them into the freezer. I'll bag them later once they're frozen.

My tester one one ended up being my lunch, a big stuffing ball patty, into a brioche roll with some lettuce and ketchup and it was absolutely devine. Off out now for a walk to try and burn it off.

• Advertisement

Time for another batch of the famous BaZmO* stuffing balls.
    A few people who can't come for Christmas Dinner this year due to restrictions asked me to do them a little batch, hence the amount of them. I'll freeze them in the trays and bag them when solid.
    Thanks again Baz.

:)

I actually made a huge batch last night and put them in the freezer. One less task on the big day. Although I didn’t roll them into balls yet. Just put them straight into freezer bags and flattened out so they’ll freeze/defrost quickly.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    :)

I actually made a huge batch last night and put them in the freezer. One less task on the big day. Although I didn’t roll them into balls yet. Just put them straight into freezer bags and flattened out so they’ll freeze/defrost quickly.

I find them much handier premade as it's even less work on the day. I usually take them out the morning I want them and they defrost very quick. I've forgotten a few times and cooked them from frozen and they were perfect.

Big batch gone into the oven there. If they last till tomorrow night, I'll be suprised.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Oh.......I'm missing this.......always stuffed the turkey with sage and onion turkey. Are these balls as good as stuffed bird stuffing? If so, I will give it a go this year.

Just did my Christmas pudding mix this morning....it's soaking before steaming tomorrow in the pressure cooker.

Will get on to my croquette potatoes soon. Still early 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Just reviving this thread for anyone that wants to try them this Christmas, they're a family tradition in this house now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 riponhassan

A inspiring recipe that I am going to make at our restaurant. Everything is so nicely described that really helped.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,510 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Not long until we make these again.

It wouldn't be Christmas without BaZmOs balls on our table, probably our second favourite thing to eat on the day after the spiced beef.

They're in the freezer now, I'll bag them up once solid and defrost and cook on the day.

I saw something earlier about someone putting orange rind in the mix. Naturally I haven't done a test batch. What ya reckon, sound good?

• Advertisement

Too late. Its done. I probably should have chopped them up a little finer, but it worked out on the first one I tried. The 2nd, 3rd and 4th were also nice too. A little bit of sweet.

Advertisement