Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Aldi Lidl beers

Options
  • 16-12-2018 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi,
    Always hear good reports on beers from Lidl and Aldi.Which type would you recommend and what beer would they be similar to?? Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lidl's own brand Irish beers are made by Rye River in Celbridge and bear similarities to there own products, although the recipes are different - different ABV% confirms this as will Rye River staff.

Their Irish IPA is very similar to Rye River's Big Bangin IPA and is very good for its price. Their American Wheat IPA is fantastic for its cost and, if you like the taste profile of saisons, their one is also very good. The Red and Stout are fine and very similar to the RR ones. They actually sell many of the RR products too should you want to do a direct taste test.

Their only other regular beers are either known brands (some maybe not that known outside of central & eastern europe, but they aren't own-brands) or Perlenbacher which is a drinkable pilsner. They have plenty of specials.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

My favourite is Aldi's Brown Bear IPA. Brewed by station works brewery.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Big fan of the Lidl Crafty Brewing American Brown Ale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

The sasion can be vary good too

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭mikep

I'm a fan of the Dark Arts porter available in Lidl, although quality isn't that consistent..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

The O Sheas beers in Aldi are by the Carlow brewing Co. (O Haras).
    I'd love if they did an O Sheas version of the Leann Follain!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

I'd second the Crafty Brewing Irish IPA, Saison and American Wheat Ale in Lidls. The Saison is nice dry and peppery while the wheat ale has a beautiful pineapple hop aroma when fresh.

In aldi, the wheat beer by schofferhoffer is a light and refreshing example of that german style. The o hara's produced 'Golden Ale' is also lovely. The brown bear beers have improved somewhat over the last few months although still have a bit to go, and theres a 12 bears of christmas offer in there at the moment I wouldn't mind getting my hands on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Try the William's ales in Lidl as well, if you see it in your local shop. They'll knock spots off of many IPA's and are very keenly priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Tatra is lovely but Lidl usually only have it around Polish Week. Their everyday canned offerings aren't great.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

The Crafty IPA is a bedrock go-to. You'll won't get much better at the price point vs volume. Their Brown Ale is very decent too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

to be fair all the crafty range is good . easily comparable to beers 1.5 euro more expensive and a lot of the time better. aldi oshea range ok but a bit tame compared to crafty , i like the red and stout osheas .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

oblivious wrote: »
    The sasion can be vary good too

Is this at Lidl?

We don't have one handy but have lots of Aldis so just checking. Usually I go Mescan for their saison.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Is this at Lidl?
    'Fraid so.

Advertisement