Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aldi Plain Flour

• 20-12-2018 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭

I've been using the same old brown bread recipe forever but last two batches of bread didn't rise like before & were pretty heavy loaves and the only thing I've changed is that I bought Aldi plain flour & I'm wondering could that be the problem - anyone else found the same ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Anything I've ever baked with it hasn't risen well but never ruled out the yeast either.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭mmg0305

Are you making yeast bread or soda bread and what sort of flour were you using before?

I always use this flour for scones and never had an issue with it not rising (with added baking powder).

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Hi OP.
    Same question form a different angle..
    The difference in pricing between branded flour, own brand flour and basic own brand is huge.
    What is the reason? Is the flour from a different source/quality or is it all just branding?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭wildwillow

The quality of flour varies greatly.

I always pay the extra for Odlums cream flour.

Cheaper brands often have a lower proportion of gluten and therfore won't hold the rise and end up dense.
    A good test is to close your fingers on a fistful of flour, if it keeps the shape of your fingers it has enough gluten. If it falls away it is lacking in gluten and won't perform. Some own brands are good but I'm not sure which.
    Most organic flours are good also but can be very expensive.

I have often given recipies to people and find they haven't worked as expected because of inferior flour.
    You need Strong flour for yeast bread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭phormium

If you had been using Odlums cream flour then while it is not self raising it does have some added raising agent whereas the Aldi/Lidl and some other brands of plain flour do not so try adding a bit of extra baking powder.

There is definitely a difference in flours, I find the own brand fine for anything dark in colour, brown bread, chocolate cake etc but if making scones or white soda bread the Dunnes flour for example gives a much greyer looking bread than Odlums which is a much whiter bake. Can't see any difference in taste but appearance wise they are an unattractive colour, a bit dirty looking!

Advertisement