Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Go back to phantasy star 4 and panzer dragoon saga you Sega fanboy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

OMG did you just assume my console preference!?

#triggered #metoo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So found out something interesting the last few days.

The internet rumours about how Sega bolted a second cpu at the last minute on the Saturn always annoyed me. It's totally false and Sega had experience working with multiple cpu arcade systems for years. The Saturn was designed that way.

However I always never understood why Sega went for quads instead of triangles with the Saturn. Triangles were a standard on pc and most of the industry.

I thought maybe the 3DO which used quads would have been the inspiration.

Well turns out the Sega Model 1 and 2 arcade boards are also quad based. So again Sega was working off its arcade experience. The most advanced consumer system at the time, the model 2, was a quad based system.

Not only that but the model 3 board is quad based as well which is why emulating these systems has been a pain.

Another side note is apparently the DS is another quad based system but hard to find confirmation of this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Damn.
    I think my Vextrex is dead :(
    Tried to turn it on just now and nothing.
    I'll have to check the fuse.

Edit: nope, not the fuse.
    Sh1t. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Damn.

Turn it on and listen carefully for any sound ? Stone dead is often an easier fix, power supply usually.

• Advertisement

Super Smash Bros. - I really don't get it, at all.

Have tried out a few version included the new Switch version and its all just meh, wtf, jumpy about stuff. Maybe it loses a lot in solo play or whatever but nope not for me.

So, what other awesomely brilliant games the world raves about do you find are a bit, well, sh1te ? (Inspired by the Earthbound sucks post, which I agree with)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Turn it on and listen carefully for any sound ? Stone dead is often an easier fix, power supply usually.

Not a peep :(

Something to sort in the New Year, I was only trying my new multicart out!

Super Smash Bros. - I really don't get it, at all.

Have tried out a few version included the new Switch version and its all just meh, wtf, jumpy about stuff. Maybe it loses a lot in solo play or whatever but nope not for me.

So, what other awesomely brilliant games the world raves about do you find are a bit, well, sh1te ? (Inspired by the Earthbound sucks post, which I agree with)

If you're not playing multiplayer then all you've got is the nostalgia for Nintendo trivia. They do their best to make single player good but it's shoe horning in into a game that is purely multiplayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,493 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'd worry about a persons mental well being if they thought Earthbound wasn't any good :eek:

Mario Kart is the main series I really am not a fan of at all which people tend to think I'm insane every time I mention.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I loved the original Mario Kart on the SNES, played it to death. But the Purple? turtle they introduced in later games that goes after the person in 1st place really annoyed me. The original Mario Kart required a bit of skill and when you where playing people on the same level it was a great laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭frasr

I'd put Worms into the same, single player meh but with multi player passing the PS1 controller around the room...vengeance is always served, may take days,weeks to come round, but it's always served....

o1s1n wrote: »
    I'd worry about a persons mental well being if they thought Earthbound wasn't any good :eek:

Mario Kart is the main series I really am not a fan of at all which people tend to think I'm insane every time I mention.

Earthbound takes a while to get going and it's not immediately apparent how good the game is until a few hours in.

Doesn't help that the first few bosses are very tricky which puts people off.

frasr wrote: »
    I'd put Worms into the same, single player meh but with multi player passing the PS1 controller around the room...vengeance is always served, may take days,weeks to come round, but it's always served....

I used to play that with a mate on Night Duty, the first one when it was ported to the Playstation, great fun still with it's roots in the Amiga.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

You know what I like about arcade and retro? The banter. It's all good fun. We all have the same interest in retro gaming but also very different tastes. I'm not much of a Nintendo fan for example and I didn't get chewed out for suggesting Alien Trilogy was a good game, despite everyone else preferring Alien Resurrection.

Some forums can be quite toxic (*cough*motors*cough*) and talking negative about the equivalent of Earthbound or Smash Bros would result in a 5 page thread saying why you're wrong!

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I didn't get chewed out for suggesting Alien Trilogy was a good game

I must have missed that some where. That game is ****e in a bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭Doge

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Damn.

Try leaving it on for a good few minutes and see if it comes on.

Mine takes a while to turn on due the capacitor in the power supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,493 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ah no thats awful about your veccy, I hope you can get it sorted. It's the machine that spawned the bizarre Irish veccy crazy half a decade ago.

If you lads had been given a surprise one for all voucher from work and didn't own a PS4 or a switch, which would you spend it on?

I'm edging towards switch at the moment but not 100% sure as I haven't really played any PlayStation exclusives since the PS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,493 ✭✭✭Inviere

o1s1n wrote: »
    Ah no thats awful about your veccy, I hope you can get it sorted. It's the machine that spawned the bizarre Irish veccy crazy half a decade ago.

If you lads had been given a surprise one for all voucher from work and didn't own a PS4 or a switch, which would you spend it on?

I'm edging towards switch at the moment but not 100% sure as I haven't really played any PlayStation exclusives since the PS2.

Switch hands down, be nice if you could get one of the exploitable ones. I think the ones retailing now are patched though? There's very little on PS4 that'd warrant a purchase for me anyway.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I’d go with a switch too. You can pick up a secondhand PS4 on the cheap nowadays anyway. It does have a few decent exclusives but nothing that won’t still be available in a couple of years time.

Switch definitely. Although all the new ones are currently unhackable, so the obvious solution is a new PS4 and secondhand Switch :)

• Advertisement

Is the switch that good?

I would have said PS4, since that's what I'm on at the moment. Worth it alone for Bloodborne imo

I'd go with a Switch. Just a lovely machine to use and the exclusives so far have been stellar.

The PS4 is a glorified way to play games already on the PC.

The PS4 has Bloodborne and that's about it. GoW didn't blow me away. Persona 5 is on PS3 and will almost definitely come to switch. And Deception 4 is on Vita already.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I love the Switch, and it’s worth getting for the first party titles alone alongside it having become a little indie powerhouse.

That said, I find the suggestions that there’s nothing or little worth playing on PS4 baffling. Bloodborne is one of the greatest games ever made. Astrobot Rescue Mission was one of the big surprises of the year and for my money VR’s killer app - it’s Nintendo-level good, and I don’t say that lightly. You have Tetris Effect which is a gem either with a headset or without, and The Last Guardian which I adore unconditionally (*awaits Retr0 complaining about frame-rate). Resogun is one of the all-time great launch titles. Hell, I may not be the biggest fan of stuff like God of War or Spider-Man but they’re undoubtedly a cut above the typical AAA pack as well. There’s things like Tearaway Unfolded too, or the Yakuza series (which has only semi made it to PC). Frankly, it’s the same amount of ‘good to masterpiece’ exclusives I’d expect from any modern console.

Basically, I don’t think you can go wrong either way - I mean, they’re individually basically worth it for Breath of the Wild and Bloodborne alone. I just feel the suggestion that the PS4 is worthless or a mere multi-platform machine far removed from my experiences - it’s all personal taste at the end of the day, but you’d have to be really fussy to not find a couple of masterpieces in there :)

I just need to go into a time compression zone and spend a few years playing through all the games Ive missed this generation.

Either that or just bring all my games to the old folks home when I eventually won't have to do anything else but sit around all day :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

So, I've managed to snag myself a PS TV...HELP!

Is the switch that good?

I would have said PS4, since that's what I'm on at the moment. Worth it alone for Bloodborne imo

A modded Switch is. Its definitely my go to now for emulation, form-factor is just so convenient.

AAA titles are still best played on a grown up console though like PS4 or XBox

I still think last guardian is miserable on a base PS4. Borderline unplayable.

Tetris effect will be coming to everything.

Just looking at worthwhile PS4 exclusives and there's just not enough there to make me bother turning the machine on.

Bloodborne is worth the price of admission though even though I wish it was on PC as it has bad performance issues and online is literally unplayable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

If you don't have an Xbox One a PS4 is definitely worth a look. I highly recommend a Pro for the extra money.

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Just looking at worthwhile PS4 exclusives and there's just not enough there to make me bother turning the machine on.

Bloodborne is worth the price of admission though even though I wish it was on PC as it has bad performance issues and online is literally unplayable.

Git gud

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I must pick up a PS4 Pro so!

I loved The Last Guardian, and I'd be happy to run through it again, any excuse.

While SotC made it to the PS4 it's a pity Ico hasn't had the same treatment.

Advertisement