Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 best supermarket beers and why are they so special?

• 17-12-2018 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

5 best supermarket beers and why are they so special?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Oude Geuze Boon, because supermarkets don't often sell gueuze, but Fresh and SuperValu do.

Kinnegar Rustbucket, because of the double-down bitterness of fresh hops and rye.

Crafty Brewing American Brown, because of the tingly mix of fruity hops and chocolatey dark malt.

Crafty Brewing IPA, because of the liquorice bite the Australian hops give it.

Spaten, because it's helles perfection at a bargain price.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I took it to mean own brand beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

crafty ipa /brown

i'd sub the Sapten for the Grafters Kolsh in dunnes....value for money $$$$

crafty american wheat ale ....very refreshing ...value for money $$$$

Brown bear in aldi DIPA 7.5% 2.39. ...bang for buck

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Pretty much all the Crafty collection in Lidl. I keep my head down when buying them, one day they'll ask for more than €2 for a bottle. I feel like I'm robbing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

ive told numerous people who are paying big money( $3-$4) in regional offies for run of the mill english ales ( shepards neame / youngs and the like) while trying to get on the craft beer bandwagon to go straight to lidl and buy one of each of the crafty range ...job done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Crafty Brewing Pale Ale Hands Down

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Johnny Drama_11

Crafty brewing company

Irish IPA
    American brown ale
    American pale wheat ale

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Anyone have the Lidl American wheat ale recently ?? Reason I ask is that while I loved the beer and the price , last batch I got in the summer was terrible and had to bring the remaining beers back..

Wonder did they change recipe or something ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Relatively recently and it was the same as always to me. Bad batches happen

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

L1011 wrote:
    Relatively recently and it was the same as always to me. Bad batches happen

Might give it another go then .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

The Lidl American Wheat Ale is great for the price. Very drinkable.

ianob7 wrote: »
    Anyone have the Lidl American wheat ale recently ?? Reason I ask is that while I loved the beer and the price , last batch I got in the summer was terrible and had to bring the remaining beers back..

Wonder did they change recipe or something ?
    Keep an eye on the date. It has a 12-month best before so it's easy to tell how old it is when buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,749 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

keano_afc wrote: »
    Pretty much all the Crafty collection in Lidl. I keep my head down when buying them, one day they'll ask for more than €2 for a bottle. I feel like I'm robbing them.
    I think they also do crafty ciders as well? They are lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

ive told numerous people who are paying big money( $3-$4) in regional offies for run of the mill english ales ( shepards neame / youngs and the like)

You can generally get these in the multiples on the 4 for €10 deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Crafty are a brand from rye river, yeah??
    Who's making brown bear?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Crafty are a brand from rye river, yeah??
    Who's making brown bear?
    The brands are owned by the supermarkets themselves, but yes, Crafty is brewed by Rye River. Brown Bear is from Stationworks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Similarly O'Haras brew O'Sheas range of beers for Aldi

And Cottonball does Hawthorn Tales. And Stationworks does Roadworks Brewing. I think the brewery of origin is on the labels of all of them. It would be good if the non-supermarket contract beers did that :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Lads, I just tried the Lidl beers on the back of suggestions in this thread. The McGargles "Franks Beer" ( I think ) is feckin fantastic. Have just cracked open the Crafty brewing Company Irish Lager and will report in due course. Many thanks for the heads up on these!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Franks Beer better than The Crafty Brewing Company Irish lager. Its lighter and the second one is maltier.

• Advertisement
Advertisement