Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chrome style powder coating

• 17-12-2018 10:47pm

I have a bmw 2002,
    the waistline trim ,the "chrome" that wraps the car above the indicator in this pic (not my car!) has seen better days.
    Exterior6.jpg

A new set is nearly 1500e so thats not happening but I got an almost complete set off ebay uk .
    Plan to restore this set then sell on my own set when the time comes.
    Problem is this chrome is actually anodised aluminium and is quite shiny.
    I'm thinking of getting them powder coated to get a good service that looks like chrome?>
    Is this a thing ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Have a look on YouTube for Alsa Easy Chrome. Even from a rattle can it looks decent.

Have a look on YouTube for Alsa Easy Chrome. Even from a rattle can it looks decent.

have you first hand experience with it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

No, not yet but have planned to give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Give these lads a call. They did a few bicycles for some buddies of mine.

https://www.tallaghtpowdercoating.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Just get them polished

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Just get them polished

I have done that, just polish off the anodising and polish the aluminium underneath, a rub of metal polish once a year will keep it sparkling.

hi5 wrote: »
    I have done that, just polish off the anodising and polish the aluminium underneath, a rub of metal polish once a year will keep it sparkling.

Still too much work for some.................:P

Still too much work for some.................:P

I've spent 3/4 hours getting 3 of the 10 pieces dent/scratch free already:eek:
    5 grades of sandpaper to get them flat!
    caustic soda takes anodizing off also

I've spent 3/4 hours getting 3 of the 10 pieces dent/scratch free already:eek:
    5 grades of sandpaper to get them flat!
    caustic soda takes anodizing off also

Wasnt a dig at you mate..;)....youre heading in the right direction, but even a disc on a drill will be much quicker and youll still have yer fingerprints..:p...then you can ask ebay santa or some tool shops for a small polishing kit..
    BTW if you highly polish the trims lacquer or powdercoat wont stick to it..for long..

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭welder

I wonder could one of the wrapping crowds wrap them in a chrome effect vinyl

• Advertisement

welder wrote: »
    I wonder could one of the wrapping crowds wrap them in a chrome effect vinyl

oh thats interesting,
    There is a wrapping place just behind where I work.

oh thats interesting,
    There is a wrapping place just behind where I work.

It will scratch like fcuk...polish them and be done.....

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭irshmerc

Hi, how you doing

Have a read through this post from the FAQ site, many other threads on that site covering the topic.

Good luck
    Peter

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/228711-pictures-of-3m-stick-on-trim-tape/?tab=comments#comment-1286544

Thanks Irishmerc,I've actually seen that before but would rather keep the metal.
    Spend another few hours at them last night and im getting somewhere.Not quite where I want them yet but on the way.

Here is what Im dealing with.

the two on the right haven't been touched
    mRicAXt.jpg

The one on the left has been sanded (180,240,400,600,800,1200).
    Middle one is sanded and polished (peek with 150mm mop)
    Right is untouched.
    k7Inpyt.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

That's a big improvement. :)

As mentioned above, no harm in trying a rattle can on even a small part, I'd suggest.
    I've used one in the past and applied right on a good surface it can look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭irshmerc

Nice work man, keep at it, no pictures of the car then.

Good luck

irshmerc wrote: »
    Nice work man, keep at it, no pictures of the car then.

Good luck

Car is in a lock up unfortunately and uninsured :confused:
    Sit tight though ,loads coming next year as I'll be spending decent money on it :D

Advertisement