Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cypherpunk Tim May passes

Options
  • 18-12-2018 10:56am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Died of natural causes last night.

Tim May was a crypto anarchist and was the author of the CryptoAnarchist Manifesto (http://groups.csail.mit.edu/mac/classes/6.805/articles/crypto/cypherpunks/may-crypto-manifesto.html)

what's this got to do with Cryptocurrency?

well ,surprisingly he was not too fond of the direction crypto currencies were taking even if he did support the reason behind their foundation.

A lot of what he said in his last interview mirrors what a lot of the sceptical posters have been posting here but the reasoning behind the comments and the context give a less anti-crypto atmosphere to the words

https://www.coindesk.com/enough-with-the-ico-me-so-horny-get-rich-quick-lambo-crypto

I do find it strange that , seeing as this was his last interview, very few of the *coin sites are including a link to this in their reporting of his passing.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

LoLth wrote: »
    I do find it strange that , seeing as this was his last interview, very few of the *coin sites are including a link to this in their reporting of his passing.

Possible that his skepticism didn't sit well with many of the 'shillier' sites. I would have liked to read the unedited text he sent through to CoinBase rather than whatever exactly this entails;
    CoinDesk asked cypherpunk legend Timothy May, author of the “Crypto Anarchist Manifesto,” to write his thoughts on the bitcoin white paper on its 10th anniversary. What he sent back was a sprawling 30-page evisceration of a technology industry he feels is untethered from reality.

The original message is presented here as a fictional Q&A for clarity. The message remains otherwise unchanged

The 30 pages reported comes out at 4,166 words, or 7.5 pages pages in 12 point arial. While those could have been 30 handwritten pages, it leaves me wondering whether it is complete. The change of flow to suit a fictional Q&A strongly suggests editing of the original.

Advertisement