Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot 205 mi16

• 16-12-2018 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guys. I have a Peugeot 205gti mi16 that I purchased in 2009. I ran it for a few years but the bottom end started rattling so I decided to park it up because I hadn’t the money to do a proper job on doing it up. It’s been dry stored for the pat 7 years. Body is pretty good but would need a respray due to some paint fading on the roof. It has some extras like a quaiffe diff, 309gti front suspension and 306gti brakes. My question is what’s the car roughly worth as is and what would it cost me to do a good job on doing it up. Engine and body overhaul being the major costs I presume. I’m handy enough with spanners so could do some of the work myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 GavFitz

tom46 wrote: »
    Hi guys. I have a Peugeot 205gti mi16 that I purchased in 2009. I ran it for a few years but the bottom end started rattling so I decided to park it up because I hadn’t the money to do a proper job on doing it up. It’s been dry stored for the pat 7 years. Body is pretty good but would need a respray due to some paint fading on the roof. It has some extras like a quaiffe diff, 309gti front suspension and 306gti brakes. My question is what’s the car roughly worth as is and what would it cost me to do a good job on doing it up. Engine and body overhaul being the major costs I presume. I’m handy enough with spanners so could do some of the work myself.

I think like most cars nowadays most people want these standard. Body work tends to be the most expensive part obviously, and getting a good job that lasts. I have one and often wonder how much they actually fetch here in Ireland. Uk seem to get good money for decent examples, floating around the ten grand mark.

But over here I'm not so sure. I wonder myself, mines standard sorrento green limited edition. Anyone out there purchase one of late that could shed light?

39012310655_bbb4fe0baa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

Classics cars are suffering badly from Brexit at the moment as they are the type of purchase that can be put back, or off completely , so I'd imagine the market would be better here than over the water at the moment. Where that is is hard to say but for the Mi 16 as is, needing engine work and a respray id say 3-4 k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

Bigus wrote: »
    Classics cars are suffering badly from Brexit at the moment as they are the type of purchase that can be put back, or off completely , so I'd imagine the market would be better here than over the water at the moment. Where that is is hard to say but for the Mi 16 as is, needing engine work and a respray id say 3-4 k.

Is it not the exact opposite, strong euro to sterling exchange rate and a flat €200 vrt once over 30. I know of a good few classics that have been brought in recently.

Neilw wrote: »
    Is it not the exact opposite, strong euro to sterling exchange rate and a flat €200 vrt once over 30. I know of a good few classics that have been brought in recently.

Just to clarify, prices suffering in the UK that's why i said it would sell better here.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

What makes you think that? In relation to values of classics in the Uk

From what I hear the very expensive stuff has dropped but it’s the opposite in the right stuff that is relatively reasonable price wise of the 80’s/90’s/00’s is performing quiet strongly in the U.K. at present....

I think it’s to do with lack of quality vehicles available and the strong demand n the U.K which has caused prices to increase strongly in recent years to present...

• Advertisement

supervento wrote: »
    What makes you think that? In relation to values of classics in the Uk

From what I hear the very expensive stuff has dropped but it’s the opposite in the right stuff that is relatively reasonable price wise of the 80’s/90’s/00’s is performing quiet strongly in the U.K. at present....

I think it’s to do with lack of quality vehicles available and the strong demand n the U.K which has caused prices to increase strongly in recent years to present...

Simple factual indicators like stuff not making reserves on eBay classics live auctions. This leaves vendors with a choice to either withdraw from sale or slash prices , which is not the British mindset until there's a crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

Simple factual indicators like stuff not making reserves on eBay classics live auctions. This leaves vendors with a choice to either withdraw from sale or slash prices , which is not the British mindset until there's a crash.

This may be true by looking at eBay where you have a lot of dealers retailing cars or individuals selling their own pride and joy and are not as realistic as they should be relations to its value.

A good friend of mine tells me that the majority of the classic car remarketing companies have an average conversion rate of no less than 75% for the past 12 months. The market for the right stuff below £15k is very buyont apparently....

Sadly prices are not suffering in the U.K at present.... I would agree with you tho classic cars & boats etc are the first thing to go when there is an economic downturn... but values seem to be enthusiast lead for a lot of stuff so the prices should remain firm...

• Registered Users Posts: 33 GavFitz

No matter what way you look at it, the uk market is so much bigger you always have more chance of getting stronger money than here for a straight original car with a decent history.

Strongest money I know of personally of late for a 205 GTI that I have heard and know for sure was 8100 for a 1994 run out model, that was about 2 years ago maybe

Advertisement