Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A / R Awards 2018

• 17-12-2018 11:06am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Nominations will be considered from December 1st 2017 - December 24th 2018.
    Race of the Year
    Performance of the Year: Track & Field & XC
    Performance of the Year: Road/Trail/Mountains/Ultra

Please send your nominations (one per category) by PM to me by 11:59:59 on December 24th. We will then take the nominations and put up a poll for each category to determine a winner who will receive a virtual high five.

Only nominations pm'd to me will be considered, on thread nominations will not count.

As per other years, please don't slag off other peoples performances as they will not have been asked to have been selected.

Feel free to discuss and link posts, threads, race reports, reminders of performances etc in this thread to help refresh peoples memories before they nominate.

Normal Boards and A/R rules apply - no criticism of other poster's suggestions will be tolerated here.

So, the full list of categories to send nominations in:
    • Most Improved Athlete
    • Poster of the year
    • Performance of the Year: Track & Field & XC
    • Performance of the Year: Road/Trail/Mountains/Ultra
    • Race of the year
    • Training log of the year
    • Race report of the year
    • Post of the year
    Have removed a couple of categories from previous years that I never get many nominations for or that just cause confusion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Ok, let's kick it off.

Most Improved Athlete: healy1835

Poster of the year: skyblue, testosterscone (as usual), el caballo (see previous nomination)

Performance of the year (TF/XC): I'm gonna need some inspiration here...

Performance of the year (Road/Trail/Mountains/Ultra): Enduro at Barkley, ultrapercy at DCM. Possibly outforarun's Jingle Bells.

Race of the year: Other than that big race that sells out very quickly these days, Day of Irish 5k PBs (not that I was there :( ), but in reality despite doing a number of big city marathons the best race was actually the Donadea 50k

Training log of the year: Swashbuckler, murph_d and auldmanking's are probably the best these days.

Race report of the year: Auldmanking's "Great Running" DCM, OONegative's proud Koln marathon, murph_d's eloquent NYC, dublin_runner's Rotterdam adventure ... hmm, all marathons :)

Post of the year: Krusty's clown history, DR's injury lament, Enduro's pithy reaction to running at Barkley, OONegative's mental health thread kickoff.

Also gonna mention with *cough* my mate elk1984 *cough* and his decent race report from Berlin: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108096565&postcount=475

Other highlights this year were the A/R/Tist in the Spotlight threads, the novices thread as usual, and of course the various spreadsheet threads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

As Sinatra would say, it was a very good year, best in a long while, enhanced greatly by the next generation, as it should be. So many potential nominations. I’ll be thinking for a while.

Edit: no photo category?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Guys, read the OP :)

Send your nominations to RQ in private messages, not in-thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

RayCun wrote: »
    Guys, read the OP :)

Send your nominations to RQ in private messages, not in-thread.

I did!

“Feel free to discuss and link posts, threads, race reports, reminders of performances etc in this thread to help refresh peoples memories before they nominate.”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Nice one Singer. I had forgotten about a few of these

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Oooh! I'll have to have a think, but I have some ideas:

Race of the year: Well, I always nominate the Raheny 5 - great race, great day, great start to the year, but this year I also really, really loved the Day of Irish 5k PBs

Training log of the year: I'll have to read a few and have a think

Race report of the year: I liked murph_d's NYC

And I really enjoyed the A/R/Tist in the Spotlight threads, especially Testosterscone's

(I know I have to send a PM, I'm just thinking aloud here, in a preliminary way)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

Can we have an A/R razzies as well? I'd like to propose the following categories:

Most erractic poster
    Did FIU Track/XC performance of the year
    Road performance of the year on no training
    Spat of the year
    Best troll
    Best Triathlete

I quite fancy myself in a few of those categories so I'm biased, the prize could be a virtual wooden spoon, not because I'm into that kind of thing but I'll take it if it means winning something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Before I vote, would some avid posters / readers post some more reminders of the greatest moments and threads of the year? I feel I'm forgetting some great posts, and I feel I don't read enough training logs, so I'd like my memory jogged by some links ... pretty please?? Boardsies??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Some reminders:

Tangs opener on the mental health Thread

Duaningtons 10k PB on a XC

Duaningtons sub 17 at Tallaght

Healys 10miler in Swords & sub 80 HM (& progression...........b'stard)

Skyblues DCM & massive progression

Swashbucklers honesty report and his Sub80 in Charelville

Arianas honest DCM report

Testosterscones Artist in the Spotlight.

Zico's training & DCM performance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Murph_D wrote: »
    As Sinatra would say, it was a very good year, best in a long while, enhanced greatly by the next generation, as it should be. So many potential nominations. I’ll be thinking for a while.

Edit: no photo category?

+1 on this

For me the fact that I have had more enjoyment following many of the threads I wasn’t involved in great to see engagement of new posters coming through and giving their opinions and views, some really insightful topics long may it continue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I must remember that Tang is not Tang anymore :) But he'll always be Tang.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Log of Year - Swashbuckler for me, i loved the way the man posts with honesty and emotion, really is great to see. AMK's was a close second, but fact he's a Dub i plumbed for P instead.

Most Improved - Again i went with P on this one, huge gains made during the year that were a joy to read about. healy1835 was right up there to with a brilliant year also.

Poster of Year - skyblue46 for me, the contribution the man made to the DCM Novices thread was fantastic, one of the best inputs in a thread i have seen in my time on Boards. Plus he was very active on other threads.

Report of Year - Only one winner for me on this by a long shot, Murph_D and his Irishman in New York report, can't use words like him, in one word, amazing D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭M.m.m.

My two standout performances are Ariana's commitment to the Novices. Easily the most committed mentor to date. I hope these people who give up their time for the summer get some kind of payback the way the pacers in events do. Its a huge task to undertake.

The other standout performance is Zico and his marathon, what can you say. He makes it all seem so easy and he even does some long runs on a treadmill.
    No drama and no fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Won't go through all of my nominations but performance of the year for me Duaningtons sub 17 in Tallaght. I said it at the time but it was the ballsiest performance of the year. The sub 36 XC was a close second.

Most Improved for me was Healy. He was one of the reasons I went after sub 80 in Charleville.

But most importantly who got my vote for the coveted report of the year? Haha. Had to be Oonegative for Koln. That was a feel good report. Had me smiling. But some quality reports this year.

One thing I will say is that the runners on here have driven me on numerous times. Thanks guys and gals. Great year for Boardsies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Way out of the loop on here these days, as don’t have as much time as I had in the past, coupled with the fact my own running has slipped down the priority list a little. But one thing I have to give a shout out to:

The Day of the 5000m PBs event in Leixlip was absolutely top notch and dublinrunner and the rest of the gang involved deserve enormous credit for putting together such an enjoyable event in the face of such resistance. Hopefully it becomes a regular fixture and that it grows. It’s about time we had an event where people can relax with a beer while watching some athletics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

A year that I actually met a few Boardsies in the flesh :) hopefully I'll put a few more names to faces in 2019.....

Reports: OONegative in Cologne, AMK Dublin, Murph NYC

Performances: DD's XC 10k PB :o, Zico @ DCM, Swashbuckler @ Charleville

Log: AMK, Zico, Swashbuckler, Aquinn, DD

Spent a good bit of my time on boards this year raking over the past few years of the Sub 3 thread and the logs of the individuals involved...that's the next thread I'd like to see, a Sub 3 Thread 'Where are they now?' :) .....delighted to able to add my own experiences to the mix this year.

Best race I ran this year was the Trim 10 Mile. Great set up and course I thought......

I've missed loads of the A/R spotlight threads, so off to have a good goo at those later I think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Agree with all those suggestions above. Couple
    of additional considerations:

Track performance - Mulberry’s 100/200 double gold at National Masters has to be in there. Super performance.

Race of the year - National Masters at Tullamore. (Technically an event, not a single race, but so is the excellent Day of 5k PBs).

Log of the year - denis b’s “Better LateThan Never” deserves to be added to the mix. A very well written account of the training, with a lot of added value in Denis’s well observed reflections on the why, the where, the when and the how. Always entertaining and insightful.

Edit: oh, and another Poster of the year candidate - Raycun. Hugely knowledgeable, always rational, always helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

I feel like I missed out on a lot of detail over the year and have just been flicking in and out of topics/threads. Like my running I must be more focused :D

I'm going to go back over a few nominations mentioned above, but another performance that sticks to my mind is Artifunken with a superb 10th position in Spartathlon...
    He even wrote his first ever race report to cap it off :D:D
    Race Report Here!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

martyboy48 wrote: »
    I feel like I missed out on a lot of detail over the year and have just been flicking in and out of topics/threads. Like my running I must be more focused :D

I'm going to go back over a few nominations mentioned above, but another performance that sticks to my mind is Artifunken with a superb 10th position in Spartathlon...
    He even wrote his first ever race report to cap it off :D:D
    Race Report Here!!!
    world class

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

OK, all up now. Soz for delay..family stuff means I haven't been able to put the time I'd normally put in and dig out links etc so go create some discussion on thread yerselves :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Said it before, and no doubt i’ll say it again. Thanks again RQ for taking the time out to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Thanks RQ!

Advertisement