Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There are around 30 billion planets in our galaxy , and there are...

Options
  • 16-12-2018 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭

... over 100 billion galaxies in the observable Universe

Do you think it's more likely or less likely that this planet has the most intelligent species in the cosmos

Does anybody else ever look up at the sky and see that vast dark sky with twinkling stars and think...how unimportant and insignificant we are in the grand scheme of things..

Are we the most intelligent species in the cosmos? 68 votes

Probably yes
    0% 0 votes
    Probably not
    100% 68 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

There are 9 million bicycles in Beijing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

There are 9 million bicycles in Beijing

Thats a fact

We are 12 billion light years from the edge

Thats a guess

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Do you think it's more likely or less likely that this planet has the most intelligent species in the cosmos

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

Maybe at this moment in time we are,more advanced species may have existed million of years ago or in the future after we've expired.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭emo72

The filter is going to get us. We've only just come out of the swamp, and we've created a **** load of existential traps for ourselves. If we make it through the next 200 years intact we may have a chance. Take your pick, climate catastrophe. Physics experiment at LPC. Biological leak from lab. Plain auld nuclear war. Ecological breakdown. The flu. AI, now that's scary.

But we deserve a chance. No reason why, but I'm optimistic. I can't believe we've come this far too **** it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

... over 100 billion galaxies in the observable Universe

Before answering - read this....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Well if we are the most intelligent...then it must be one dumb Cosmos.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

We simply don't know.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,530 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

From the Bet You Didn't Know thread. There are ten times as many trees on earth as there are stars in the Milky Way.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,028 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

..... so let's worry about the lyrics in a song from the 80s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

We are alone in this alternate universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Sure, look....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭emo72

NIMAN wrote: »
    ..... so let's worry about the lyrics in a song from the 80s.
    What's the song? "It's the end of the world as we know it" REM?

9 million bicycles was 90s I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,821 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

We're not even the most intelligent species on the f****** Earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

milehip wrote: »
    Maybe at this moment in time we are,more advanced species may have existed million of years ago or in the future after we've expired.

Assuming time is one-directional, linear, and can't be manipulated.

We've gone from barely flying wooden planes and pigeon-mail just 100yrs ago or so, to landing robots on Mars and quantum processing. So who knows what will be possible in another century (blink of an eye in the scale of the cosmos).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

How about the Definitely not option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

We've gone from barely flying wooden planes and pigeon-mail just 100yrs ago or so, to landing robots on Mars and quantum processing. So who knows what will be possible in another century (blink of an eye in the scale of the cosmos).

There is that. But, if Einstein is correct about the speed of light we may be destined to never find intelligent life... in Dublin 😁😁😁😁😁😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Except in another century humans will be too busy trying to survive in the hellhole that they have created for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

There has to be intelligent life out there. Scale alone suggests this is highly probable.

However reaching each other is the issue. There is only so fast you can get from A to B.

Myself I have experienced a few things in my time that makes me think 100% there is something out there. However when I explain my experiences people think I’m nuts .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

Gonad wrote: »
    There has to be intelligent life out there. Scale alone suggests this is highly probable.

However reaching each other is the issue. There is only so fast you can get from A to B.

Myself I have experienced a few things in my time that makes me think 100% there is something out there. However when I explain my experiences people think I’m nuts .

Apt username Gonad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,821 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Scale alone suggests its an absolute certainty.

There may be a billion civilisations, yet so vast is space that even with great technological advancement they will never know of each other.

10 billion galaxies recorded visible (or audible) from Earth, adding up to One Billion Trillion stars (21 zeros) in the observable Universe, another ten billion galaxies likely to be recorded when our technology allows. We're talking about such an inestimable amount of planets that even Einstein and Hawking handed it over to a great creator once the maths ran out, so limited are their theories and so huge the gaps in knowledge.

worded wrote: »
    Apt username Gonad

I didn’t see that coming either :)

No pun intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

Gonad wrote: »
    I didn’t see that coming either :)

Apt username Stevie Wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Are these my feet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I bet they've got better broadband than us...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Lovely clear sky tonight to be looking up at our unknown neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

It'll be very interesting to find out what the imaginatively named Extremely Large Telescope (ELT), which will be the most powerful telescope ever constructed, spots when it's finished.

I could very well see a scenerio where enough evidence of extraterrestrial life is gathered to make a compelling argument for it, even going as far as where we can observe distant artifical light sources but we will simply never be capable of any meaningful contact with them due to the distances involved. Destined to be a cosmic peeping Tom hoping to just see even a little more each time we look.

It'll be very interesting to find out what the imaginatively named Extremely Large Telescope (ELT), which will be the most powerful telescope ever constructed, spots when it's finished.

I could very well see a scenerio where enough evidence of extraterrestrial life is gathered to make a compelling argument for it, even going as far as where we can observe distant artifical light sources but we will simply never be capable of any meaningful contact with them due to the distances involved. Destined to be a cosmic peeping Tom hoping to just see even a little more each time we look.

I know when there is a gig on in Marley park I can see all the lights and hear the sounds from miles away .

Probably same thing for them aliens .

• Registered Users Posts: 37,534 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Where do you think all them flying saucer came from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Very interesting podcast from one of the 'Stuff You Should Know' guys about the aforementioned Fermi Paradox.

https://www.theendwithjosh.com/podcasts/ep01-fermi-paradox.htm

Advertisement