Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr Prodston:AMA

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭The wonderfish

I remember that the Sunday Times used to do one back around 2000, and I begged my parents to let me enter. I think it cost like 15 quid and the transfers were through the post, I think?

If I remember, I think I had Robbie Keane and Sergey Rebrov up front, and Luke Chadwick in midfield because he was a cheap United player so he had to be a good option, right? :pac:

Think I made one transfer and gave up....

Then there was championship/football manager for a while and PES/Fifa. I guess all of those were the gateway into a full blown addiction!
    IIRC some of the early Fantasy Football Games were run by the newspapers and every player had a 3 or 4 digit code and you select your players, dial a premium number and enter the codes on the keypad to enter your team....what a painful process!!....

To make your transfers you had to dial a premium number aswell....needless to say with the cost of the calls there wasnt to many transfers made :)

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

IIRC some of the early Fantasy Football Games were run by the newspapers and every player had a 3 or 4 digit code and you select your players, dial a premium number and enter the codes on the keypad to enter your team....what a painful process!!....

To make your transfers you had to dial a premium number aswell....needless to say with the cost of the calls there wasnt to many transfers made :)

I used to do this!
    We had no phone at home so I used to save up my coins, cycle up to town, and punch in the numbers for an age in the phone booth (used to get some dirty looks off the people queuing outside).

The People paper used to have a competition. Overall prize at the end etc but £1,000 for the highest score each week. They gave ratings for each player, then you got additional points for a goal, clean sheet etc.

I will never forget the first game week of the new season my team did brilliantly. I had Tony Dorigo for Leeds (the original Alonso/Robertson) and a bunch more I forget. I could not wait for the paper on Sunday as I knew I got a serious score. Went to Mass with parents Sunday morning, straight to the shop after for the paper, added the scores up for my players, got a massive score, so went to look for the winner for that week. Couldn't find it anywhere in the paper. Didn't know what was going on. Then I saw in small print that the prizemoney only started in September for some reason. I was sickened.

What made it worse - for the rest of the season, I only saw 2 weekly scores that were better than mine!

Edit: I just checked to see Tony Dorigos stats. He only scored 5 goals in 168 games for Leeds. Very surprised by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I remember doing one on Echo Island (I think) maybe 94, 95 or 96, I was definitely in secondary school. Can’t remember how you entered or anything about the scoring but I do remember they would give the top five every week and then have like a quick scroll so you’d have to record that and then use the pause button to slowly scroll through the full list. I finished around 10th, delighted with myself

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

The Irish Independent used to run one like this. I remember running up a £5 bill on my granny’s phone because it was touch tone for the call to enter my team! Each player had their own unique code you had to enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

i did the Daily Mirror one myself for a few years and like everyone else. I more or less only did the initial entry because who's gonna spend the money to be making transfers, lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I guess this rollercoaster of an AMA has nearly come to an end. If anyone has any more questions then now would be a good time to ask?

I'll pick someone else from the list later on and set up that thread.

It's been fun folks, and hopefully you've all got a little more Mr.P in your hearts now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Okay, I guess that tumbleweed means that all good things do indeed come to and end. Please welcome your next victim......jimmii

Thread can be found here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057938332

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

:eek:

Will jump in tomorrow morning!

Advertisement