Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lineout callers - ELI5

Options
  • 28-11-2018 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

Explain like I'm five, please. Seeing a lot of discussion about lineout callers in various Irish threads - how some people don't / can't call them, how some haven't called them at top level competition, etc. And I'm completely clueless...

What makes a lineout caller? I assume everyone has to know the plays off by heart, so what makes one person suitable (particularly as we move up through the levels of elite competition) and another not?

What kind of factors do they need to consider (I would have thought, "Throw it to Toner" would be a pretty good call :D)? How could we end up in a position where if some people go off injured that we don't have a (top quality) lineout caller? And what kind of conversation takes place before a lineout before they have the ultimate say? Thanks!

🤪

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Explain like I'm five, please. Seeing a lot of discussion about lineout callers in various Irish threads - how some people don't / can't call them, how some haven't called them at top level competition, etc. And I'm completely clueless...

What makes a lineout caller? I assume everyone has to know the plays off by heart, so what makes one person suitable (particularly as we move up through the levels of elite competition) and another not?

What kind of factors do they need to consider (I would have thought, "Throw it to Toner" would be a pretty good call :D)? How could we end up in a position where if some people go off injured that we don't have a (top quality) lineout caller? And what kind of conversation takes place before a lineout before they have the ultimate say? Thanks!

On attacking line-outs, there'll usually be a set list of pre-determined calls for certain situations and positions on the field. The line-out caller needs to take into account how the other teams defended previous line-outs, and also as they're walking into the line-out, where the other team's main jumpers are positioned.

Then they also have to be able to read the situation and change it up if they spot something in the other team's positioning or change up.

The same goes for defensive, they need to try interpret where the other team's going to jump spot wise (so fast at 2, 4 or to the back).

I'd imagine at the pro level, it's mostly down to experience, and then of course you have to have the eye to be able to spot and react to the changes.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

this is pretty good for describing what a line out caller does.

at its most basic level a full line out (hooker and 7 man) there are 3 jumping options... 2, 4 and 6..... ie

this allows for each jumper to have a front and rear lifter ie if 4 jumps, 3 and 5 lift etc. obviously at pro level these can change and get quite intricate.

each team will have their own call for whether its going to 2, 4, or 6
    from that then, again at a very basic level, theres usually 2 choice of whether the ball is moved "off the top" or its being brought down to maul.
    There may be other moves as the play gets more technical like, a switch ball to the hooker, or a move by a flanker around the corner etc

the sign of a good line out caller is where he spots frailties with the opposition line out in real time... and where he can then call his own line out in order to best secure possession. (im using his here in a gender neutral way ;P )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

He's probably the best ever. Outstanding lock. It also helps that he has a big vertical jump too.
    But besides the hooker, a lot must go into training. Also, you would have to have confidence in the hooker.
    I think JS would be disappointed in out line outs recently. I can't figure out where we are going wrong.
    This has been the first time that I have seen out line out stumble so frequently.
    Very fixable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Paul O’Connell talked about it a bit below (not sure at what point, but the whole thing is worth a listen anyway). He even goes into how it’s changed over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Sabre0001 wrote: »

Caller will likely be your primary jumper and know best which option to take though will depending on what backs will want as well.
    Usually in full 7 man lineout you will have possibly 5 options. Props can be at either end of lineout and will be only options not jumping so players 2nd,3rd,4th, 5th, 6th in line out all will be jumping options or if full lineout props will be 1 and 3 and you will have as main options 2,4,5,6.
    Conversation before lineout can look at what numbers to have in lineout what do backs possibly want(scrum half/10 often there)

At a very basic level you will have options at 2/4/6 and will have calls/code words for the place in lineout ball will go to and then another part of the call will say whether the ball will be passed down to the scrum half or it will be taken down and become a maul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

would you have different codes for different halves so the opposition dont work out where the ball is going passed on the first half ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

irishgeo wrote: »
    would you have different codes for different halves so the opposition dont work out where the ball is going passed on the first half ones.
    No but teams will have contengencies if someone has been rather successful on your ball.

There also will be calls for how say a 4/5/6/7 man line out will look. and gaps between each player like you could have a 2-3-2 or 3-2-2 or many other variants. as in there will be a 2 players with first man on 5m line at the front and another 2 players at back with back lifter on the 15m line with a pod of 3 in the middle

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

irishgeo wrote: »
    Nowadays the calls are often decided before the lineout is formed and said quietly to the hooker, rather than shouted during the lineout, so the opportunity for someone to work out your calls is reduced.

Advertisement