Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr Prodston:AMA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

jimmii wrote: »
    Do you prefer the simpler days before chips too? So much has changed in the game since the good old days.

I enjoyed the tactical innovation it brought in the first few years - mainly that the casuals burned them up within weeks and left us with the DGWs later on to play with. But people have wisened up to that, and I do feel obliged to use the chips in a DGW, to varying degrees of success. Kane's disaster last year, Aguero's assist the the year before that, and then the PVA masterstroke.

I'd like to see them change it up again, whether it's no chips or just something different, whatever it may be.

It's all a bit formulaic now, although I guess it always was. There's less planning needed for the DGWs.

I'd actually rather a return to the old WC system. One at a time of your choice, and one during the January transfer window. That was you earn your planned points for the DGW, by either transferring smartly for a month or so beforehand, or holding onto the WC all season, and fighting fires.

Do you play the Draft as well? if so what do you reckon? Didn't even bother myself this year, just found it too frustrating

I like the idea of a draft but I haven't played it. I barely have enough time/inclination to focus on the main game!

Back in the day, before FSA, the way I played FPL was sort of a draft system with one of my friends. We had a gentleman's agreement that we couldn't own the same players. If we bought them the same week, then fine, but that's how I played the game around the end of the 2000's and early 10's.

Remember the season RVP went goal crazy for Arsenal? I didn't own him that season, and I finished 12k. That was the season Aguero arrived, and Rooney did well. I had them, and then I remember January was huge and I jumped on Papiss Cisse, Ben Arfa and Siggy and it was a glut of points almost everyweek.

I think that formed my opinion that there's more than one way to approach the game. The differential is key. Although now I look back an wonder if I had RVP all season, where would I have finished? Could I have won the game or gone damn close?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,386 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

So your a nordie, what’s the thoughts on brexit? And more relevantly Arlene Fosters role in it?

Do you live in the north or the south?

Argentina is worth a travel plan in itself, not just Patagonia but BA, Mendoza, Iguazu falls. It and Bolivia were savage.

What’s ur thoughts on formation? Do you stray from 3-4-3 very often?

Green&Red wrote: »
    So your a nordie, what’s the thoughts on brexit? And more relevantly Arlene Fosters role in it?

Do you live in the north or the south?

Oh no, I'm a Corkman :cool: I was just comparing the levels of "Who gives a flying fig about what side of the same religion people are?" between the North and South. My Dad does have a few cousins up that neck of the woods, but I'm Cork born and bred.

As for Brexit though. The best word to describe the whole thing is probably: omnishambles!

I mean, if scriptwriters were coming up with this sort of plot for a political farce it wouldn't get past the first edit.

All logic has gone completely out the window, and they're making Irish Politicians look rather competent which is a worry in itself.

It's a strange time to be living in the world, and assuming the world continues to exist for the next 30/40/50 years it'll be interesting to see how it's recorded in history.

Brexit itself is not even remotely close to what it was sold as. It was sold as an idea. A vision. A longing for the good old days. The Dunkirk spirit. An inherently Middle English way of life. The problem is that it's all red tape and regulations wrapped around a lot of practical ideas.

Finally it seems as though there's enough talk of a second referendum permeating through, that it might happen. The UK might get the vote they should have had two years ago. A vote where all/most of the actual permutations have been worked out. What it actually means to leave the EU, in real and tangible terms.

Why they didn't do that first is the main worry. It just highlights that it was never meant to happen. It was a political stunt which nobody in their right minds expected to happen, when initially called for at least.

I still don't think it will happen, but they could just be stubborn enough to go through with it, without their nose, while their face slowly bleeds out.

_______

As for Arelene Foster and the North. Well I don't think a whole lot of Foster, to put it politely, and they're making Sinn Fein seem reasonable. Which says it all.

The level of ignorance shown from all sides on the North is another major worry. It goes to show that the UK don't really care about the North. And while the idea of a United Ireland is a nice one, neither the north or the republic would be better off afterwards financially. In time, perhaps it might work out. But as a society, we have enough issues to fix, before drawing the welfare of another country onto the table.

But the funny thing is, it's closer to happening than anyone could ever have conceived of.

The fact that there's still no government up there, and those 10 DUP politicians are holding the whole thing together with an expensive sticky tape is another problem entirely.

Just have the 2nd referendum, and see what happens then. The whole thing is a pantomime of bull****!

So that's my hot take on Brexit :pac:

Argentina is worth a travel plan in itself, not just Patagonia but BA, Mendoza, Iguazu falls. It and Bolivia were savage.

Well, I bought the Lonely Planet Guide to South America so occasionally I'm leafing through the thing. That's my planning so far :pac: Were you there long? I spent a week in Iceland, and the thought of just seeing all that Patagonia is something I want to experience. But if I go (and I more than likely will) I'll want to do it properly. Any other recommendations? Were you there long? :)
    What’s ur thoughts on formation? Do you stray from 3-4-3 very often?

I'm a traditional 3-4-3 man. Generally I only stray due to injury or suspension. I just feel like it's a waste not to start with all 3 forwards! I do like my attacking defenders though :P

That’s an exceptionally well written description of brexit. As a friend said to me last nite they’re the only country to ever vote themselves into a recession. We’ve had the highest rate of GDP growth for four years running while they have matched inflation. It’s bad news for us though.

Spent seven months on SA, loved it. Cuba disappointed me, other than seeing how a political idea worked.

What sort of mini leagues do you enter?
    What’s ur highest FPL finish?
    Do any of ur mates know ur on boards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Snog, marry, avoid:

PVA, other half, holly whilouby.

That’s an exceptionally well written description of brexit. As a friend said to me last nite they’re the only country to ever vote themselves into a recession. We’ve had the highest rate of GDP growth for four years running while they have matched inflation. It’s bad news for us though.

Spent seven months on SA, loved it. Cuba disappointed me, other than seeing how a political idea worked.

What sort of mini leagues do you enter?
    What’s ur highest FPL finish?
    Do any of ur mates know ur on boards?

Wow you really did do it properly. I know you're supposed to ask me questions rather than the other way around but did you have much Spanish before you went, or did you pick much up?

Free one's. I play for fun rather than money, and especially with my style over the years I'll either win the thing or lose all my money :pac:

5k in 16/17 - It was the season I reigned in my traditional Prodston Punting, to prove that I actually was a good player. Or certainly somewhat decent.

Usually I've been in and around 15k and only had 2 finishes outside the top 100k since around 2010. That was last season and that unfortunate year of Yaya and Ramsey!

I think one or two do know I use this forum. I wouldn't say I hide it but it doesn't come up in conversation either!

Snog, marry, avoid:

PVA, other half, holly whilouby.

As tough as the question seems, I think my answers are obvious enough!

Snog: PVA - I mean that man sure knows how to make a guy feel special!

Marry: Other Half - Yeah I'm an old romantic. Although I am technically single for now. So form an orderly queue please ladies :pac:

Avoid: Holly - She's a wonderful woman, but can she do it on a cold Tuesday night in Stoke, when you need a clean sheet?

Figured that was the safe response although wasn't sure if you'd snog or marry pva loll

• Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Good call on Holly. The sheets definitely wouldn't be clean afterwards!

• Advertisement

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Figured that was the safe response although wasn't sure if you'd snog or marry pva loll

PVA is the glue that keeps Prodston's marriage together

Had very little Spanish, like an audio course that I started maybe a week before I left. You pick up a lot and it’s surprising how well you can communicate with people.

Excluding the obvious who would you like to see United sign in Jan? Do you think Jose is the man to turn things around or is it time for a change?

Excluding the obvious who would you like to see United sign in Jan? Do you think Jose is the man to turn things around or is it time for a change?

Absolutely not, I'd fire him out as soon as possible. Champions League is the only thing left going this season, and it's February before that's relevant again.

Plenty of time to get somebody in, whether it's a short term solution like Laurent Blanc or going after Poch or whoever in the summer.

In terms of players, it's clear that 2 CBs are needed, but certainly one. But who can you get in January?

Then there's Pogba.

It's clear him and Jose don't work. It's unclear if pogba will work with somebody else.

If the board aren't going to provide funds to Jose to make improvements, then for that alone he surely has to go.

I'd love to see somebody come in with some kind of attacking structure rather than hope for the best. Only then will we really know what other practical signings are needed!

_______

As for Arelene Foster and the North. Well I don't think a whole lot of Foster, to put it politely, and they're making Sinn Fein seem reasonable. Which says it all.

The level of ignorance shown from all sides on the North is another major worry. It goes to show that the UK don't really care about the North. And while the idea of a United Ireland is a nice one, neither the north or the republic would be better off afterwards financially. In time, perhaps it might work out. But as a society, we have enough issues to fix, before drawing the welfare of another country onto the table.

But the funny thing is, it's closer to happening than anyone could ever have conceived of.

The fact that there's still no government up there, and those 10 DUP politicians are holding the whole thing together with an expensive sticky tape is another problem entirely.

Just have the 2nd referendum, and see what happens then. The whole thing is a pantomime of bull****!

So that's my hot take on Brexit :pac:

:P

On the United Ireland thing, I’m not sure people realise what that would look like.
    To get something that was palatable enough for Unionists and avoid a civil war it would literally give everything to the north. Aside from the crippling debt, To call the country Ireland we’d probably have to give up the Irish language, move at least half of parliament to Belfast. I’m not sure a deal would pass a southern referendum

• Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Jose definitely doesn't need to be given anymore money. He has squandered it all so far

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Delighted that I checked in here today, another of the founder ARB's. Mr Prodston is a legend of the internet. I have no questions just lots of memories.

And I also miss RoryC, he was a good poster.

What other forums do you read/post in on boards?

What’s ur top three Christmas songs?

Delighted that I checked in here today, another of the founder ARB's. Mr Prodston is a legend of the internet. I have no questions just lots of memories.

And I also miss RoryC, he was a good poster.

Love and miss you too foxy :) Nice to see you around!

The ARB was the most fun over a few months in here!

• Advertisement

What other forums do you read/post in on boards?

Television - My other initial love of boards was a thread I started on the quiz show Pointless, back in my student days. It's still going but I haven't been involved with a couple of years now.

Depending on what tv shows I'm watching I'll follow, and I post a bit when Game of Thrones is on.

Golf - The majors, and Paddy H are really all I really follow now

Soccer - Not really anymore though, and never really took to the place. Scan through the Man Utd megathread for news, which an exercise in futility most of the time :pac:

After Hours - Early on I participated, but it's years since I've read or posted

Weather - When the big events roll around it's quite interesting, and sometimes useful when I'm commuting quite a bit

I'm posting an awful lot less in general though, I've even noticed it myself in the past 6 months.

The FSA is by far my bread and butter. Always was, and always will be!
    What’s ur top three Christmas songs?

Well it has to be December before any Christmas songs are played. Preferably from the 8th onwards.

1. White Christmas
    2. Christmas Time (Don't let the Bells End) - The Darkness - Okay this is probably my differential Prodston punt :pac:
    3. Driving Home For Christmas - From the 20thish onwards. Especially Christmas Eve, for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Love and miss you too foxy :) Nice to see you around!

The ARB was the most fun over a few months in here!

Thanks old pal, I still pop in regularly enough for a little read but post rarely as you’ll have seen, 4 kids now and a job that makes daytime internetting impossible, this forum is so popular now that it makes dipping into a thread difficult, maybe it was always so but I was so buried in each of the threads I didn’t realise.
    Great times indeed, always great lads here,

Thanks old pal, I still pop in regularly enough for a little read but post rarely as you’ll have seen, 4 kids now and a job that makes daytime internetting impossible, this forum is so popular now that it makes dipping into a thread difficult, maybe it was always so but I was so buried in each of the threads I didn’t realise.

Yeah, I mean, I haven't been posting all that much recently either, and I only have the job part to worry about :pac:

Glad to hear all is going well though! The FSA has always been great for these sorts of things too, some of the best boardies are here!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Good man swiper. Four kids your a brave man.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

Good man swiper. Four kids your a brave man.

What’s the ARB?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

What’s the ARB?

Anti Ramsey Brigade

I remember the shame in finally bringing him in. That season was like a glitch in the matrix.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Was there a gateway drug or did you just go full blown fantasy football?!

• Advertisement

Panthro wrote: »
    Was there a gateway drug or did you just go full blown fantasy football?!

I remember that the Sunday Times used to do one back around 2000, and I begged my parents to let me enter. I think it cost like 15 quid and the transfers were through the post, I think?

If I remember, I think I had Robbie Keane and Sergey Rebrov up front, and Luke Chadwick in midfield because he was a cheap United player so he had to be a good option, right? :pac:

Think I made one transfer and gave up....

Then there was championship/football manager for a while and PES/Fifa. I guess all of those were the gateway into a full blown addiction!

Advertisement