Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Better to buy ETF or diversified stocks?

• 08-12-2018 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi there, new to investing. I was hoping to invest in an index fund that tracks S&P 500 but don't think my gains will be worth paying both CGT and an exit fee.

What would you say is the best option if I want to start investing my money on DeGiro? I would be looking to start off with an initial lump sum then monthly payments. What would be the best option to minimize fees?

( I was thinking buying shares in 10-20 companies in the SP500 I believe in would be enough diversification for steady growth?

Basically just asking whats the best option for an early 20s person who wants to invest in the stock market without withdrawing money for 10-20 years or even longer.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Hi there, new to investing. I was hoping to invest in an index fund that tracks S&P 500 but don't think my gains will be worth paying both CGT and an exit fee.

What would you say is the best option if I want to start investing my money on DeGiro? I would be looking to start off with an initial lump sum then monthly payments. What would be the best option to minimize fees?

( I was thinking buying shares in 10-20 companies in the SP500 I believe in would be enough diversification for steady growth?

Basically just asking whats the best option for an early 20s person who wants to invest in the stock market without withdrawing money for 10-20 years or even longer.

Thank you.

A relatively small number of companies drive all the gains in the market so you have a high chance of picking twenty loosers, you can't beat the market, not over the long term

Buy the fund and stick in a drawer, all you have to do is not panic sell and you will be richer down the road .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    A relatively small number of companies drive all the gains in the market .

This is true.

Be aware the tax situation around ETFs is complicated and can be arduous if you keep investing regularly..

Advertisement