Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New RTE Player

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I tried the player on Windows laptop with chrome browser and it looked for a flash player download in order to play. So much for html5.

Did you try the beta player?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

lertsnim wrote: »
    Did you try the beta player?

The new player logo was on it so I presume that was it.

You need to be on https://beta.rte.ie/player/ and then you wont be asked to run flash.

You need to be on https://beta.rte.ie/player/ and then you wont be asked to run flash.

Puzzles me how they have a big launch in the media and then just release a beta version with no sign of the mobile apps or the connected platforms.

Puzzles me how they have a big launch in the media and then just release a beta version with no sign of the mobile apps or the connected platforms.

That's the RTE way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

They need to justify the money they spent on it by spreading the various launches for as much media coverage as possible (god knows how much they spent on this over the past coupla years)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

fritzelly wrote: »
    They need to justify the money they spent on it by spreading the various launches for as much media coverage as possible (god knows how much they spent on this over the past coupla years)

And to pay for the TV license inspectors they supposedly send around during the day while everyone is at work. If they actually exist. Surely that TV Detector van can tell I have no TV?

sugarman wrote: »
    What big launch? They've a handful of updates on their twitter clearly mentioning its a sneak preview / beta release only on available on PC at the moment while they put the final touches of the finish product together. They even mention mobile and other devices are to follow!

They said the apps would be out by the end of the week. Then no sign of them.
    The amount of deadlines they miss is incredible.

The saorview connect launch has been one missed deadline after another.

....posted on 2nd December on twitter...

Yep! We're rolling out just desktop and mobile devices tomorrow but it'll be on Smart TVs very soon after.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I noticed that the new logo has started appearing on RTE promos. Quite clearly in RTE’s collective mind (in so far as an organisation can have one!) this is now “launched”, but the reality is somewhat different. And it’s worrying that they think desktop is still the core platform for an app like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭portach king

icdg wrote: »
    I noticed that the new logo has started appearing on RTE promos. Quite clearly in RTE’s collective mind (in so far as an organisation can have one!) this is now “launched”, but the reality is somewhat different. And it’s worrying that they think desktop is still the core platform for an app like this.

There's no doubt that they've made a pigs ear of the launch, but I don't believe that they think the desktop is the core platform. From everything they've said mobile apps are on the imminent horizon, Chromecast/airplay support included. They've also said Apple/Android TV apps are next after that. They know what's up and they're rolling out a beta now, and the choice for desktop was probably chosen as it would be the least stressful on their bandwidth as it gets up and running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

There's no doubt that they've made a pigs ear of the launch, but I don't believe that they think the desktop is the core platform. From everything they've said mobile apps are on the imminent horizon, Chromecast/airplay support included. They've also said Apple/Android TV apps are next after that. They know what's up and they're rolling out a beta now, and the choice for desktop was probably chosen as it would be the least stressful on their bandwidth as it gets up and running.

Okay so IMO your bandwidth/capacity is capital, RTÉ have stated all along that they where investing in capital, as already pointed out the software is standard no need to reinvent the wheel and look of the player is superficial.

RTÉ are suppose to be launching a new look player in tandem with their investment into bandwidth/capacity.

Going by BARB figures for BBC/ITV/c4/etc there is little difference between desktop, smart TV/STBs, phones and tablets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Does anyone have any technical info on the video quality?

The old player seemed to go up to a max of 576p (and 2500k bitrate?). The new player looks like 1080p to me, but can't get any info. It's seems its not possible to capture anything from it with youtube-dl or similar.

iOS devices are updated with the new app. Nothing on Android so far.

Edit: On android now too.

It is not on android. They have just changed the logo in the play store to red but the app hasn't been updated yet.

They have updated the android player info
    NEW RTÉ PLAYER
    Your destination for great TV and Video – Live and on-demand
    Discover something great to watch every time you use RTÉ Player. Explore Box Sets, RTÉ Player Originals and all your RTÉ TV favourites on the fully reloaded RTÉ Player app for Android

DISCOVER BRAND NEW CONTENT
    You asked, and we listened. Browse brand new shows on RTÉ Player including hit US dramas Boss, Graves and Swedish Dicks. Or in the mood for some nostalgia, check out cult classics Dawson’s Creek, Bachelor’s Walk and Raw.

Stuck in commuter traffic, discover our playlists and relive the best bits of your favourite shows. From the 20 greatest moments from Love/Hate to those magical moments where Dermot Bannon turns people’s houses into dream homes in Room to Improve.

RTÉ Player Originals are our brand new shorts, ranging on average from 3-12 minutes, these little gems are perfect for watching on your mobile, on your lunchbreak or before bed.

LIVE STREAMING & LIVE RE-START
    Watch RTÉ One, RTÉ2 and RTÉ News Now live wherever and whenever you want
    We’ve added RTÉjr live streaming. Your kids can now enjoy fun shows in a safe space
    Two new exclusive channels streaming RTÉ Archives and RTÉ Food
    Live restart - A great new feature that allows you to rewind back to the goal and rewatch the celebrations.

KIDS MODE
    Set parental pins to protect your children from shows aimed at a Mature Audience (MA)

IRISH SIGN LANGUAGE (ISL)
    Set your preferences so you can watch shows with in-vision Irish Sign Language (ISL)

AUDIO DESCRIPTION
    Set your preferences so you can watch shows with an audio description (AD)

SEARCH
    Search for the title you want to watch in our Find Section.

CHROMECAST
    The RTÉ Player App supports Chromecast so you can cast to your big screen using your Smart TV.

SOCIAL SHARING
    Social sharing features allow you to share programmes. You can browse programmes by name, category, date and latest. You can save programmes as a favourite and pick up on a programme where you last viewed.

The RTÉ Player App uses streaming technology which means that you must be connected to the Internet in order to watch programmes. The app will automatically adjust video quality based on the speed of your WiFi connection.

We hope you enjoy using RTÉ Player.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭portach king

Using it to watch the One o'clock news now on my Chromecast and switch between channels. So far, so good. Getting playback controls is a bit finnicky but it's a good start and I hope it continues to improve on what looks like a fresh and seeming successful reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

My only issue is the "live" archive channel, it is just loading videos from the player rather then a continues stream like RTÉ ONE etc. There are certain show worthwhile repeating much of it isn't that good. Why not put RTÉ ONE +1 on the player if you have the archive channel/food channel?

It is not on android. They have just changed the logo in the play store to red but the app hasn't been updated yet.

I must have imagined it so when I updated and opened the app on my phone earlier.

Looked again and it's still the updated app.

I must have imagined it so when I updated and opened the app on my phone earlier.

Looked again and it's still the updated app.

What device are you on?
    I still don't have it.

One Plus 5T

• Advertisement

My app in the play store says it was last updated in September 18.

The info on the app has been updated but not the app itself. Strange.

Edit; I have it now. I uninstalled the old one first.
    Maybe there was just a delay in getting out to all devices.

Some great stuff there in the archive.
    I see they have a documentary on Christy Ring.

Rte must have a fabulous collection of old documentaries.

A few I see on there...
    Christy Ring
    When Cathal Shannon met Muhammad Ali
    Festival Folk - Christy Moore
    This is Christy - singer Christy Dignam
    David Bowie - the last 5 years
    Joe Dolan
    The Late Late Show's 'For one night only'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Working well on my Android phone, looking forward to testing this on the Firestick later on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Casting option works well. No native Android TV app yet, but not the end of the world

There is a lot of TG4 stuff there too.
    Not sure if they are co productions or what.

The button at the top left corner allows you to register/sign in. This will allow you to pick up where you stopped watching something previously.

It also has subtitles, Irish sign language and push notification options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Archives a brilliant addition.
    Chromecast working well, quality great considering the times for bon voyage and echo Island.

Dublin Village an unexpected bonus too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 JMcGee

I can’t get it to Airplay to either of my Apple TV 4K. The tv just blinks briefly and the app eventually crashes after a few failed attempts. Anyone else have luck with AirPlay?

The Smart Tv app hasn’t updated yet, on my LG!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Still as buggy as hell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Seems to be working fine for me. I've had nothing but frustration with the old one.

Last night I watched a few things from the archives including the Christy Moore gig from 1984 on the laptop. No issues whatsoever. That cough- line of code for ABP -cough seems to have worked a treat. I put the app on the android phone this evening. I did a test run on last night's Fair City. 90 secs of ads at the start and 90 secs halfway through. I can live with that as long as the main show runs smoothly. Which it did. I'll try Chromecast later when I've the TV to myself.

Advertisement