Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kimchi - where to buy in Dublin?

• 11-11-2018 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭

Have always been wanting to pick up some of this, but my interest has been rekindled after watching the documentary with Michael Palin visiting North Korea, where he is given it on a train from China to N.K, and how he describes it as being hot and firey (and watching a Korean guy wipe the sweat from his brow after consuming it).

I can see that the Asian Supermarket in Ballymount sell tinned stuff, but I am hoping there's somehere near by that I could pick up a tub of freshly made stuff.

I'm planning on being around the D15 area later as I have to meet a customer there, and also Fonthill at some point of the day (not sure if Eurasia supermarket sell it)?

But could nip in to the city if it was a must.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Any decent Asian stores will have jars of the stuff. If the store has a chilled section, try there for freshly made kimchi. Apparently it’s not hard to make your own, but I haven’t tried. I’d say the Eurasia store will definitely have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,663 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Used to buy a nice Korean kimchi in a pouch from a local Asian shop.
    Mrs Beer now makes a batch about once a month. Much nicer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

There are jars of fresh Kimchi being produced in Dublin (and no doubt further afield) by several companies. Heath food shops have them - The Hopsack in Rathmines has a choice of brands and flavours. Not too expensive either.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭coleslaw

han sung on great strand st sell the fresh stuff and its lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭treenytru

+1 for han sang - bout 3.00 for 300g I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

coleslaw wrote: »
    han sung on great strand st sell the fresh stuff and its lovely

Great stuff.

I'll make a stop there on the way home this evening so.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I'm about to make 3 heads worth today, I got the ingredients I didn't have from the Asian supermarket in Coal Quay in Cork, they are in an Alley between the Coal Quay and the Paul st Carpark.
    I needed the Red pepper (Gochugaru) flakes but had everything else to hand.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I needed the Red pepper (Gochugaru) flakes but had everything else to hand.

Those pepper flakes are great for when you want a bit of chilli flavour but little or no heat.

Those pepper flakes are great for when you want a bit of chilli flavour but little or no heat.

Yes I tried them, and used some in a Hong Shao Rou I just made, it didn't have quite enough heat though, I only used a teaspoon.
    I used 2 cups in the Kim Chi recipe and it has a lot more punch.
    I ate a 1/4 cabbage worth of fresh Kim Chi, its really tasty.
    I'm looking forward to seeing what its like after its fermented a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

I picked up a jar in Dunnes Stores Blanchardstown in the fridge where Nourish is. Made from a company called The Cultured Co. Found it to be very good.

• Advertisement

Yes I tried them, and used some in a Hong Shao Rou I just made, it didn't have quite enough heat though, I only used a teaspoon.
    I used 2 cups in the Kim Chi recipe and it has a lot more punch.
    I ate a 1/4 cabbage worth of fresh Kim Chi, its really tasty.
    I'm looking forward to seeing what its like after its fermented a while.

How did that work out for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Hi guys,

Any idea where I might get prepared kimchi in Dublin?

I don't have the time or space to prepare this myself, so would have to buy it prefermented in jars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I got some nice stuff before in Han Sung just off the millennium walkway (or Whatever it's called). Also the cafe down the back is a nice spot for lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭Ryath

I ate most of it fresh then I had a bit of a disaster, I had a glass pot that I was using in the fridge and while someone else was moving stuff in the fridge they dropped a jar on it and smashed it. :(
    I will make more as it was very tasty but next time I will use a stronger container.

I ate most of it fresh then I had a bit of a disaster, I had a glass pot that I was using in the fridge and while someone else was moving stuff in the fridge they dropped a jar on it and smashed it. :(
    I will make more as it was very tasty but next time I will use a stronger container.

Oh dear!

Fermentation should take place outside of the fridge. Then into the fridge to keep after fermentation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

*Threads merged.

Oh dear!

Fermentation should take place outside of the fridge. Then into the fridge to keep after fermentation.
    Thats what I was doing but it appears the fridge is more hazardous for kimchi than I thought.

Advertisement