Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eoghan McDermott wants Fairytale of New York Censored - Mod warning post 1

Options
  • 06-12-2018 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭

I see that the righteous warrior of the oppressed has asked the 2 gay members of his 'team' if they find the term 'FAGOT' in the Fairytale of New York song offensive.
    One of them thinks it should be 'beeped' out while another thinks it should be banned altogether.

Regardless of the fact the song annoys the cohones off me, exactly who does this chap think he is?

Should we send him and his 'team' a dictionary so they understand what the word FAGOT means? 'A contemptible or dislikable person' is the original meaning, regardless of it being hijacked as a disparaging term when referencing homosexuals.

Get off your high horse Eoghan you SJW!!

https://www.breakingnews.ie/discover/debate-rages-on-social-media-in-face-of-calls-for-fairytale-of-new-york-to-be-censored-890258.html

Mod warning in post 172 and 192 apply to all posts beyond each respective point.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Imagine if people like this put their time to more constructive uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,165 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Keeping himself relevant and in the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

More importantly, I wait with baited breath to see which station pays heed to his call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

The same fella who is promoting whetus teenage dirtbag being translated into Irish has an issue with Fagot being in a song.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Should we send him and his 'team' a dictionary so they understand what the word FAGOT means? 'A contemptible or dislikable person' is the original meaning, regardless of it being hijacked as a disparaging term when referencing homosexuals.

I don't agree with banning old songs because of troublesome lyrics in any way but are you seriously deluding yourself that you think a song written in 1986 with the word 'fággot' in it atually meant the original meaning of the word?

Come on, now. He calls her a slut then she calls him gay. The intention behind it is pretty damn clear especially for the 80's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

He and his annoying sister are a collective SJW echo chamber. This is a cynical attempt to hop on the outrage bandwagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Is there not a version where he says “maggot” instead ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

He needs a serious dose of cop on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Who is Eoghan McDermott?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,918 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Who's Eoghan McDermott? :confused:

Or his sister, for that matter? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Maggot is used prior to Fagot in the song. Ya Scumbag, Ya Maggot, Ya cheap lousy ******.

Edit: Seems that Boards finds the word offensive anyway

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 17,329 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Sadly was only a matter of time until Fairytale came under the beady eye of the permanently offended and outraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

How about they completely censor him instead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Ronan Keating's version. Enough said.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Who's Eoghan McDermott? :confused:

Or his sister, for that matter? :confused:

You're better off not knowing. Believe me.

Come on, now. He calls her a slut then she calls him gay. The intention behind it is pretty damn clear especially for the 80's.

Yeah back in the 80s, when people were sensible and weren't offended by everything on everyone's else behalf.

If it offends you Eoghan, don't play it. End of.

And if it offends you as a listener. Turn over when it's on.

It had regularly been voted in the top Xmas songs of all time, so countless more multiples of people aren't offended by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

I've no issue with censoring that particular word from the song when played on the radio/tv before the watershed.

This isn't a new phenomenon.

jdmds739.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Persiancowboy

Let the prat play the appalling Ronan Keating cover version with the "offending" word bleeped out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Ronan Keating's version. Enough said.

Keating should be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,918 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

You're better off not knowing. Believe me.
    I'll take your word for it.

But if his campaign results in me never having to hear that bloody song ever again (never mind about 10 times a day the entire month before Christmas and 20 in the final week) then he'll get a thumbs up from me.

Hands off "Baby It's Cold Outside" though! (I hear that's also under attack :mad:) The Tom Jones/Cerys Matthews version is one of the best Christmas songs there is!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

The BBC briefly banned it 10 years ago. They changed their minds quickly enough.

My opinion is that it's a song telling a story about two drunks. It's not as if Shane McGowan is calling anyone a ****** himself in a gratuitous way. Much like Dire Straits use of the same word in Money for Nothing or Bob Dylan use of the "N" word in Hurricane.

If you decide to start banning offensive words in songs depicting stories and decided to apply that logic to film we would lose a huge amount of classics.

So it's all a load of bollox in my opinion.

She is a "journalist" who speaks with a fake American accent and guests on Matt Cooper's radio show. She comes across as an air headed blonde crossed with a social justice warrior.

I agree with you about being sick to death of the song though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭applehunter

2FM needs to be re-branded as Gay FM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

What a ******.

It's OK to find something offensive.

It'll not hurt you.

Get on with your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Some people have too much spare time to worry about things like this FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Pelvis wrote: »
    I've no issue with censoring that particular word from the song when played on the radio/tv before the watershed.

This isn't a new phenomenon.

jdmds739.jpg

You sold more records with that sticker on the cover

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Eh who?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

She is a "journalist" who speaks with a fake American accent and guests on Matt Cooper's radio show. She comes across as an air headed blonde crossed with a social justice warrior.

I agree with you about being sick to death of the song though.

Is she the one who's offended by The Inbetweeners not being inclusive as there's no minorities in the lads gang?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Well I've asked all the members of my team and 100% if them find EMD offensive

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement