Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin 2019 from scratch

• 05-12-2018 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am determined to run a marathon this year. I have been running off and on for a good few years now. I have completed 2 half's although the last one was 5 years ago now. I haven't done any running in over a year. I am signing up to Dublin (Oct 19) and i am starting back running this week. I understand it will be a major undertaken and i am not taking it lightly.

Looking for advice. I am currently 41 year old male, 5ft 11 and 15.5 Stone. I understand i need to drop weight and have changed my diet in the last few weeks and lost 0.5 Stone. Apart from that i am healthy.

My plan is to do the couch to 10K that will bring me up to the middle of march. I plan on upping the to a half marathon distance by end of June and then be ready for the Marathon in October. Is this doable?

Would people recommend a different strategy?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Looks like a sensible plan - slowly build up the distance over the year. I would to this:
    • Forget about a time goal for the marathon, just go out with goal of finishing and enjoy the atmosphere.
    • Follow a plan.
    • Build up your mileage slowly, rule of thumb is 10% per week, however you don't have to keep increasing every week.
    • Take an easy week every 4 weeks - ie drop the mileage for a week to ~60-70% of previous week.
    • Listen to your body, if you have a niggle rest it.
    • Don't worry too much about weight - concentrate on eating healthy and the weight will look after itself, losing too much weight too fast means you will be losing muscle.
    These all seem like easy rule to follow but if we're honest we never follow them until we get injured and realize how important they are!!

Most importantly enjoy it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Begs

Irishder wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am determined to run a marathon this year. I have been running off and on for a good few years now. I have completed 2 half's although the last one was 5 years ago now. I haven't done any running in over a year. I am signing up to Dublin (Oct 19) and i am starting back running this week. I understand it will be a major undertaken and i am not taking it lightly.

Looking for advice. I am currently 41 year old male, 5ft 11 and 15.5 Stone. I understand i need to drop weight and have changed my diet in the last few weeks and lost 0.5 Stone. Apart from that i am healthy.

My plan is to do the couch to 10K that will bring me up to the middle of march. I plan on upping the to a half marathon distance by end of June and then be ready for the Marathon in October. Is this doable?

Thanks

Did my 1st marathon this year, and like the others say, follow a plan. I used the plan in this book - full of useful info.

http://www.lyonspress.com/book/9781493026876

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Irishder

Begs wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks

Did my 1st marathon this year, and like the others say, follow a plan. I used the plan in this book - full of useful info.

http://www.lyonspress.com/book/9781493026876
    Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

In May/June 2019 a thread will start here for marathon novices (like this one)

Keep an eye out for it

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. looks like im back to square one. I trained for last years marathon got up to 15 miles in training (Aug 25th) and got injured. Didnt make the start line.

I still have the itch to run a marathon. however i have gained weight and not run a step in since my 15 mile run.

Not sure where to start, or even why i am here.

im 43 now looking at 16 stone on the scales. I know Dublin will be too soon for me but maybe target February next year.

just the thoughts of restarting training from scratch is putting me off.

should i just start couch to 5k for the 10th time and see how it goes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. looks like im back to square one. I trained for last years marathon got up to 15 miles in training (Aug 25th) and got injured. Didnt make the start line.

I still have the itch to run a marathon. however i have gained weight and not run a step in since my 15 mile run.

im 43 now looking at 16 stone on the scales. I know Dublin will be too soon for me but maybe target February next year.

Sounds like a decent enough plan. Anything to get a bit of motivation and rekindle some old good habits. Good luck with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Dublin won't be until 2021...you have plenty of time!
    I'd start with couch to 5k alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭py

Sorry to hear you got injured before DCM but you did a great job on getting up to the 15 mile mark. Given that you got up to 15 mile mark last year would you not just start back running a few Km at a time instead of running through the C25K program? Something along the lines of 2-3Km twice a week for a few weeks and then up the frequency/distance very gently?

Don't worry about your age or weight (unless you've underlying health issues) as there's plenty who are older or heavier who successfully complete a marathon. You can do this.

Whether you choose the C25K or a few Km at a time, the best thing for you to do now is to just start running. Don't wait for the start of a new week or month or lunar cycle. Start today and get moving. Best of luck with it and definitely come back if you've got questions as I'm sure wiser people than me will be along to add more.

Casey78 wrote: »
    Dublin won't be until 2021...you have plenty of time!
    I'd start with couch to 5k alright.

any rumors as to when it will be postponed to? they will hardly run 2 marathons in dublin next year will they?

Thanks for the encouragement got off me arse today and done week 1 day 1 of couch to 10K, lovely evening really enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭py

Thanks for the encouragement got off me arse today and done week 1 day 1 of couch to 10K, lovely evening really enjoyed it.

Great job. One day at a time. :)

Advertisement