Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow laptop running Windows 7

Options
  • 05-12-2018 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭

As per the title. I've installed all updates, cleaned the temp files and folders, ran a dick check and a defrag.

The machine has 2x 2Gb ran blocks and a T4500 Pentium dual core processor @2.3GHz.

In task manager it's reporting approx 1500/7995 commit.
    Ram total roots as 3998, cached at 600, available at 2700 and free at 2100.

Does this machine need an increase in ram? Apparently it is only over the last 6 months that it has slowed down.

I thought it would only be of the commit LHS value exceeded the team total that an increase in ram would be necessary.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Can't really help with your machine, other to say that I'd considered posting about my Win7 being a lot more sluggish in recent months. I don't allow Windows updates (got fed up with the Microsoft blackmail) but keep most other software up to date. The problem is most noticeable when running Firefox and Thunderbird (it can sometimes take up to 30 seconds to switch between windows) which I've attributed to those programs being progressively "enhanced" to take advantage of faster modern machines :( That said, I also wonder if my ad-blocking and antivirus programs are clogging up the process too ...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Are you running antivirus, maybe get rid of it and use windows defender. Not sure how much ram is going to help, an ssd will give you a big noticeable boost and there gone very cheap.
    Can it handle windows 10, might be time to get with the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

... ran a dick check and a defrag.
    After that there is nothing else left...
    :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

run a disk clean up

run as admin and clean up system files ie windows updates

failing all reinstall or uograde in the sales

• Registered Users Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Are you running antivirus, maybe get rid of it and use windows defender. Not sure how much ram is going to help, an ssd will give you a big noticeable boost and there gone very cheap.
    Can it handle windows 10, might be time to get with the plan.

It is running Microsoft Security Essentials.

I would like to update it to Windows 10, but I think I'm out of the period to get it for free.
    I'm also concerned about driver availability.

• Advertisement

Nowso wrote: »
    run a disk clean up

run as admin and clean up system files ie windows updates

failing all reinstall or uograde in the sales

How do you clean up the System Files? I got into the C: properites and ran clean-up. There was also an option there for System files which I checks. This removed 18Gb of data.
    Although the C: is only about 25% populated.

Can't really help with your machine, other to say that I'd considered posting about my Win7 being a lot more sluggish in recent months. I don't allow Windows updates (got fed up with the Microsoft blackmail) but keep most other software up to date. The problem is most noticeable when running Firefox and Thunderbird (it can sometimes take up to 30 seconds to switch between windows) which I've attributed to those programs being progressively "enhanced" to take advantage of faster modern machines :( That said, I also wonder if my ad-blocking and antivirus programs are clogging up the process too ...

Similar complaint from the owner of this one. Just far too slow.
    It seems to have livened up a bit.

I wonder if part of the problem is that, like another one I looked it, the user just reads email and shuts down. Meaning that there is a bow-wave of updates, checks and scans to be performed that never get completed.

I told the previous owner to leave their laptop turned on and logged in for as long as possible after use in order to give these a chance to complete. Might also be the case here as there was a lot of updates downloaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

I would like to update it to Windows 10, but I think I'm out of the period to get it for free.
    I'm also concerned about driver availability.

You can still get it free, you just need to pretend you are disabled.

https://www.howtogeek.com/272201/all-the-ways-you-can-still-get-windows-10-for-free/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

When it comes to old computers, there's also a subjective feeling of slowness. People are using phones with solid state storage, way faster than an old HDD, and then swapping over to an ancient laptop. It looks slower because the person is used to a faster phone.

There is that, but this was slooooooow.
    The few bits and pieces I've done seem to have improved things.

Am I correct in thinking that more RAM will not solve the problem here?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It may help.
    Replacing the HDD with an SDD will definitely help.
    There's also the issue of replacing parts of a computer that may not be worth much now. A new laptop may be the way to go.

What is slow?
    Startup, opening programs, performing tasks(office apps, etc.), browsing?
    You dealing with ~8 year old machine. Outdated CPU(Launch Date Q1'10), most likely degraded HDD(launch Resource Monitor - bet you, HDD active time sitting in 100%).

Adding RAM(actually replacing with 2x4GB kit) and moving to SSD will improve things little bit, but CPU will remain bottleneck. See if financially justifiable.

I'd like to run perfmon against it to actually log where the problem is.
    However, I'm not sure what are the best signals to log.

Does anyone on here know what should be logged to find out the root cause of this problem?

Thanks.

Using the Resource Monitor, with general surfing I can see that as stated the disk monitor indicates 95% Highest Active Time and the CPU monitor varies between 60% and 95% Maximum Frequency with memory running at 91% Used Physical Memory.

I've nothing open on the desktop other than Chrome and Resource Monitor. Can this be salvaged by a new SSD with Win7 installed?
    Where is the best place to pick up a SSD with windows installed?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Using the Resource Monitor, with general surfing I can see that as stated the disk monitor indicates 95% Highest Active Time and the CPU monitor varies between 60% and 95% Maximum Frequency with memory running at 91% Used Physical Memory.

I've nothing open on the desktop other than Chrome and Resource Monitor. Can this be salvaged by a new SSD with Win7 installed?
    Where is the best place to pick up a SSD with windows installed?

time to upgrade

Nowso wrote: »
    time to upgrade

Honestly, looking at those figures, your processor isn't able to handle what chrome has become. A new laptop might be in order, more than just an ssd.

What would the owner get for this second hand?

Also the spec of this laptop exceeds the requirements for Chrome browser as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

You could look at other browsers. Vivaldi. Pale Moon.
    Other OS's.
    Small learning curve switch to Linux. You could look at Linux Mint, Ubuntu or Lubuntu, or any of the many distros recommended for older PCs.

Numbers don't look great. Where HDD active time could be written off to downgraded disk and RAM to browser usage, CPU is to high(for the task you describe)

Check startup:How to Disable Startup Programs in Windows - iTunes, Spotify, Dropbox, etc. - disable all unnecessary. Insure no double antivirus applications.

If no improvement, i am afraid is just not up to the task, as suggested above.
    As mentioned(post #13) - you can upgrade RAM and disk - will improve a bit, but can't CPU.

I've already looked in there. Can anyone see what else can be turned off from the attachments?

• Advertisement

I've already looked in there. Can anyone see what else can be turned off from the attachments?
    Uninstall CCleaner, it has been useless a long while now, avast aren't improving it.
    Also uninstall easybits recovery.
    Uninstall AgentMonitor too.
    You can disable java auto update.
    Personally, I'd remove security essentials too.
    Have you ran any malware scans? Something like Malwarebytes.

You could try either of these.
    Wisecare365 (promo lifetime licence) or Glary Utilities.

They are both good programs on their own (I wouldn't install them both at the same time) and are on promo sometimes for a year licence. Good for an older PC. Trial should help you anyway.

F-Secure are doing a promo for 1 year (5 devices) but it will require you to use a UK VPN to get the licence key. With a UK VPN on, click 'Try For Free' here.

Also the spec of this laptop exceeds the requirements for Chrome browser as far as I can see.

The specs for Chrome are just for starting it up, but the internet itself is now more processor intensive than ever. Not sure if you can see it on Win 7, but in the process manager on windows 10, it breaks chrome down by tab. You can see some pages take up massive amounts of memory, takes more processor power to manipulate this then.

CatInABox wrote: »
    The specs for Chrome are just for starting it up, but the internet itself is now more processor intensive than ever. Not sure if you can see it on Win 7, but in the process manager on windows 10, it breaks chrome down by tab. You can see some pages take up massive amounts of memory, takes more processor power to manipulate this then.
    On Win 7 you can see it in Resource Monitor

Suckit wrote: »
    Uninstall CCleaner, it has been useless a long while now, avast aren't improving it.
    Also uninstall easybits recovery.
    Uninstall AgentMonitor too.
    You can disable java auto update.
    Personally, I'd remove security essentials too.
    Have you ran any malware scans? Something like Malwarebytes.

You could try either of these.
    Wisecare365 (promo lifetime licence) or Glary Utilities.

They are both good programs on their own (I wouldn't install them both at the same time) and are on promo sometimes for a year licence. Good for an older PC. Trial should help you anyway.

F-Secure are doing a promo for 1 year (5 devices) but it will require you to use a UK VPN to get the licence key. With a UK VPN on, click 'Try For Free' here.

Yes, I run malwarebytes. Ccleaner removed almost 20Gb of files.

From Resource Manager, can you determine what process(s) is high consuming CPU, RAM, etc. ?

Chrome mainly.
    I've put Firefox on and told them to run that and see what happens. I'll tweak it when I get my hands on it again.

What I thought was happening was that they were only using it very infrequently for a short period of time and as a result of this there was a bow wave of updates and checks to be executed. When I first got my hands on it, I had a large amount of updates to download.

I told them to leave the machine logged in for a few hours throughout the week and see if that improves the performance, when they get around to using it. I updated the power settings to keep that machine awake when plugged in, so this should allow the updates and checks to proceed.

Firefox is the best of the big ones, but is a bit of a hog too.
    Have you tried Pale Moon or K-Meleon?
    https://www.palemoon.org/
    http://kmeleonbrowser.org/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

HD Tune 2.55 - https://www.hdtune.com/download.html

use it to check SMART info on the drive on the off chance the drive is slow because it's on the way out

also do the speed check there shouldn't be too many dips unless the HDD is being over used or there's lots going on in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Have you run a chkdsk? If so, and no issues, just re-install a virgin Windows image. If possible do this onto an SSD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭SharpCoder

Windows 7 on a laptop, likely cpu is fine and ram is okay for most tasks, however i'd imagine the gpu is shared and the rendering engines on new browsers slow it down, blink, edgehtml etc. While Blink is fast on modern day processors and desktops, older system would have issues and changing to browsers like vivaldi/maxthon would be useless as they also use blink being chromium forks, as will microsofts up coming Edge (chromium build) replacement for their edge (edgehtml build).

A lot of resource management in windows 7 goes into rendering effects and UI that can bog down the system, if you're okay with losing some visual eye candy you can make windows 7 much faster by disabling many of these like the default Aero theme effects.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/help/15055/windows-7-optimize-windows-better-performance

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-aero-on-windows-vista/

Advertisement