Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public servants' inability to afford to pay rent in Dublin.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

road_high wrote: »
    Doubt you’d get any sort of room in a shared house for under €100 per week in Dublin

Check daft.

They're there.

wrangler wrote: »
    We're excessively taxed, presumably to provide healthcare etc , yet to get proper and timely health care you have to pay health insurance as well.
    Go figure.
    December/january is the busiest time of the year in hospitals, yet medics took the hump when asked not to take holidays then, as a self employed I'd find that hard to accaept. Provide the service or don't take our taxes....simples

Staff having holidays during Christmas has absolutely nothing to do with waiting lists etc.

It’s a ridiculous suggestion that healthcare staff should not be entitled to time of with their families over Christmas. Normally they work things on rotation so that every second or 3rd year a person gets Christmas Day off or if you work Christmas Eve you don’t work Christmas Day or vice versa. They are underpaid staff doing their best and are fully entitled to time with their families over Christmas.
    limnam wrote: »
    Check daft.

They're there.

Keeping in mind sharing a room with another person is totally unacceptable then the fact is that there are no places available bar a few min to Thursday/fri only places. In the depths of the recession the chepeast I ever paid for a decent room in another part of the country completely was 300 euro per month you are talking absolute nonsense suggesting it can be hot for that in Dublin now. Anyone I know sharing in Dublin in liveable places are paying in the 450 to 700 range for a room.

Keeping in mind sharing a room with another person is totally unacceptable then the fact is that there are no places available bar a few min to Thursday/fri only places. In the depths of the recession the chepeast I ever paid for a decent room in another part of the country completely was 300 euro per month you are talking absolute nonsense suggesting it can be hot for that in Dublin now. Anyone I know sharing in Dublin in liveable places are paying in the 450 to 700 range for a room.

The rooms available are sharing a house. Not sharing a room.

Stop suggesting it's nonsense and check daft, I've posted examples previously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

The rooms available are sharing a house. Not sharing a room.

Stop suggesting it's nonsense and check daft, I've posted examples previously.

Sharing with couples and babies? :D

Another I saw for €100 weekly was a room containing a bunk bed to fit three people (a single over a double). And it was in a flat. How many people are crammed in there?

Do you even read the descriptions of these great examples you supply? Sharing houses is the norm when starting out but there are good houseshares and really depressing ones that nobody should have to tolerate.

Sharing with couples and babies? :D

Another I saw for €100 weekly was a room containing a bunk bed to fit three people (a single over a double). And it was in a flat. How many people are crammed in there?

Do you even read the descriptions of these great examples you supply? Sharing houses is the norm when starting out but there are good houseshares and really depressing ones that nobody should have to tolerate.

As I said already.

If it's whining about the country the people you share with a from. The fact you need to take a bus to the city and basically go on like a spoilt child

You're going to find it tough no matter what.

If they're problems.

Get a better job.

• Advertisement

Bedroom in foxrock for 180e a month?

What's wrong now?

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/house-share/foxrock/foxrock-park-foxrock-dublin-1053425/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You have to become a part-time carer? :confused:
    Opportunity to rent at a reduced rate of 180 euro per month including bills in exchange for 7 hours of care which would include meal prepartion and light shopping.

As I said already.

If it's whining about the country the people you share with a from. The fact you need to take a bus to the city and basically go on like a spoilt child

If they're problems.

Get a better job.

Excuse me? Ya wanna flesh that out a bit there?

Oh and you have no idea what tough things I’ve been through in my life. You have no idea what anyone here has been through. Do you think you’re the only one who had endured trying times in their life or something? :confused:

You’ve clearly decided that people are whinging because they’ve had an easy life and are spoiled. If it helps you to justify the points you are making, knock yourself out but you’re only fooling yourself with that mindset. People aren’t making unreasonable requests here and many of us have lived a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Only looking for women.

Only looking for women.

The example we were discussing was a girl in the PS.

So it'd suit her.

• Advertisement

Excuse me? Ya wanna flesh that out a bit there?

Oh and you have no idea what tough things I’ve been through in my life. You have no idea what anyone here has been through. Do you think you’re the only one who had endured trying times in their life or something? :confused:

You’ve clearly decided that people are whinging because they’ve had an easy life and are spoiled. If it helps you to justify the points you are making, knock yourself out but you’re only fooling yourself with that mindset. People aren’t making unreasonable requests here and many of us have lived a bit.

Calm down love.

I don't mean you specifically I mean in general

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

As I said already.

If they're problems.

Get a better job.

Dude, you are going to have to get a grip. I lived in Dublin from 1999 to 2016. It was way worse accommodation wise in 2016 than it was in 1999 and that, frankly, was saying something. The city is an absolute kip on top of that.

There are sacrifices to be made. This I know. I have made them. But you know, we should aspire to making things better. No one over the age of 17 should have to share a room, and no one should have to depend on licenseeship of rent a room because frankly, sharing with an owner is sh1t. When I did that, I was also earning enough to be on the higher tax rate.

So the country sucks. What is your response? To tell people to suck it up?

But you know, the problem is that to fix this mess, people have to make sacrifices. The kind of sacrifice where the market change means their 1 million semi D, Strain built, is no longer worth 1 million, but 250,000e.

Because the answer is greater - much greater supply.

Calina wrote: »
    Dude, you are going to have to get a grip. I lived in Dublin from 1999 to 2016. It was way worse accommodation wise in 2016 than it was in 1999 and that, frankly, was saying something. The city is an absolute kip on top of that.

There are sacrifices to be made. This I know. I have made them. But you know, we should aspire to making things better. No one over the age of 17 should have to share a room, and no one should have to depend on licenseeship of rent a room because frankly, sharing with an owner is sh1t. When I did that, I was also earning enough to be on the higher tax rate.

So the country sucks. What is your response? To tell people to suck it up?

But you know, the problem is that to fix this mess, people have to make sacrifices. The kind of sacrifice where the market change means their 1 million semi D, Strain built, is no longer worth 1 million, but 250,000e.

Because the answer is greater - much greater supply.

They don't need to, they can have a beautiful room in leafy foxrock for 180 quid a month.

You have to become a part-time carer? :confused:

You have to cook a dinner and do her shopping?

To save yourself 650e a month?

If Jesus is reading, he's weeping.

7 hours working minimum wage is what? 56 quid a week.

bargain town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Naos wrote: »
    nice_guy80 wrote: »
    they are self employed
    they can take time off when they want, generally

Care to give us the figures about how someone could be worse off after a raise in the PS?
    Do you want my pay slip or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

This problem was created by public servants ie Michael Noonan and his advisors when the made their faustian pact with ex Treasury Secretary now Hedge Fund manager Timothy Geithner in 2010.Reading between the lines Geithner forbade any burning of bondholders but encouraged big Capital ie Hedge funds ,vulture funds REITs into Ireland in a quid pro quo ; these entities bought up large chunks of distressed real estate and are now controlling supply.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Room isn't even available at weekends. Not much use to public sector workers who work weekend shifts.

Calm down love.

I don't mean you specifically I mean in general

And the general point is still nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Room available Monday to Friday??

That Luas will be handy to sleep on for Saturday and Sunday:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Room isn't even available at weekends. Not much use to public sector workers who work weekend shifts.

grand,

they can stay here instead

300e a month

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/house-share/balbriggan/clonard-st-balbriggan-dublin-1035789/

Aye, that looks fine. And I’m sure the 100 people who go to view it will think so too.

Aye, that looks fine. And I’m sure the 100 people who go to view it will think so too.

So the ask is.

No mexicans.

no kids.

No transport requirements.

Must have a limited amount of views.

Riiight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

So the ask is.

No mexicans.

no kids.

Riiight.
    Think it's more that these are such anomalies they would hard to obtain in the first place rather than readily available to all.

engiweirdo wrote: »
    Think it's more that these are such anomalies they would hard to obtain in the first place rather than readily available to all.

People keep saying that, yet every time i'm in here i find new ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

engiweirdo wrote: »

Go enquire about one, say 1 day after its posted. Let us know how you get on.

So the ask is.

No mexicans.

no kids.

Riiight.

Who in this thread asked for all those things?

You can’t amalgamate things different people have said into one apparent requirements list. It’s highly disingenuous. But you know that already. AND conveniently, it also means you don’t have to take anyone’s individual points on board. Seems an unsatisfying way to think to me but how and ever.

And what are not you not getting about the fact that I said many people view each place? By saying that, I’m highlighting that those rooms are hard to get. They’re oversubscribed. This is really basic stuff here.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭HamSarris

300e quid a month on luas line

next set of excuses?

Your grasp of statistics wouldn't be that great.

I did a search of house shares in Dublin which returned 1,567 properties. 14 of these properties were below 300 per month, representing 0.89% of rooms. A quick glance of the number of views was about 400-500 per room.

So less than 1% of rooms are below 300 per month and your be competing with hundreds of desperate other people to get them. And if the median is about 700 per month there's usually a big catch if a landlord decides to advertise a room at half the going price.

My friend had to leave her workplace during the work day recently to view a room (extortionately priced) that was just placed on daft. When she got there less than an hour later, it was gone. And then it happened a few more times after that. She is currently sleeping on a friend’s sofa. And my friend has a well-paid job, good references and everything else you need to be an attractive prospect as a tenant.

You’re clueless. You really are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

limnam wrote:

limnam wrote:
    What's wrong now?

limnam wrote:

Part time carer. They want a live in nanny to cook, clean and do the shopping.

Advertisement