Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public servants' inability to afford to pay rent in Dublin.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

If he got a raise of €50 a week, but rent went up by €30, then it's a loss of €20 in their situation.
    Again, guessing. They'd have to explain it.

The rent would have gone up anyway, increment or no increment. There are some
    situations in which a pay rise triggers higher tax/usc/prsi bands. That can result in a drop in nett income

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

If he got a raise of €50 a week, but rent went up by €30, then it's a loss of €20 in their situation.
    Again, guessing. They'd have to explain it.

Even in your example, how is that a loss? He is still €20 up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Naos wrote: »
    nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I work in public sector for 10+ years

I got an incremental pay rise during the summer, which means I'm actually €20 a week worse off.

How are you worse off after a raise?
    Our beautiful taxation system

I work in public sector for 10+ years

I got an incremental pay rise during the summer, which means I'm actually €20 a week worse off.

How are you worse off after a raise?
    My take home pay is now reduced

That's what a pay rise in the PS looks like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Even in your example, how is that a loss? He is still €20 up.
    Meant to have it the other way around.
    A raise of €30 a week, but rent went up by €50.
    Again, it'd have to be clarified by themselves.

• Advertisement

Meant to have it the other way around.
    A raise of €30 a week, but rent went up by €50.
    Again, it'd have to be clarified by themselves.

He has clarified above. Nothing to do with rent. In any case, he would be even worse off without the rise as the rent would have gone up anyway.

Can you explain it to me with some real workable figures please.

If it's our system, then it applies to both sectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Irish Indo to day says that women with abnormal smears have to wait 9 mths for care. FFS this is getting beyond a joke. Health .insurance is no longer a luxury, it's a necessity. wonder how many on waiting lists die for lack of care

wrangler wrote: »
    Irish Indo to day says that women with abnormal smears have to wait 9 mths for care. FFS this is getting beyond a joke. Health .insurance is no longer a luxury, it's a necessity. wonder how many on waiting lists die for lack of care

Relevance?

• Advertisement

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Relevance?

We're excessively taxed, presumably to provide healthcare etc , yet to get proper and timely health care you have to pay health insurance as well.
    Go figure.
    December/january is the busiest time of the year in hospitals, yet medics took the hump when asked not to take holidays then, as a self employed I'd find that hard to accaept. Provide the service or don't take our taxes....simples

We're excessively taxed
    Compared to?
    I work with a number of people from other countries. We aren't as taxed as much as they are from what they tell me. And you see in France that some are resisting further increases.

I have private health insurance in my current company (I pay towards it as well). Prior to that I paid it myself. Gave up a lot of nights out and holidays, but prioritized it. Had a few mates who decided to smoke, drink excessively, and take 2 holidays a year abroad; but it's other peoples fault when they sit on a waiting list.

The health system is huge with many factors that affect it's efficiency.

Compared to?
    I work with a number of people from other countries. We aren't as taxed as much as they are from what they tell me. And you see in France that some are resisting further increases.

I have private health insurance in my current company (I pay towards it as well). Prior to that I paid it myself. Gave up a lot of nights out and holidays, but prioritized it. Had a few mates who decided to smoke, drink excessively, and take 2 holidays a year abroad; but it's other peoples fault when they sit on a waiting list.

Shouldn't have to pay both, don't know if you've needed it lately but hse is loading patients into private hospitals now and it isn't that simple to get a quick private appointments now because of it. It's like the passport scenario, if we're busy we'll create a backlog etc etc...don't know about you but if I'm busy I work longer hours. Last time I was in a public hospital two out of three theatres were idle and they say there's a waiting list of 500000 for care
    You sound young but I'm 66 and health care is important

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

limnam wrote: »
    Christ.

She's young. She can share. Get a room in a house for 280e a month.

That leaves her with over 1300e a month with shared bills.

God forbid we're ever in a_real_ crisis.

Doubt you’d get any sort of room in a shared house for under €100 per week in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

road_high wrote: »
    Doubt you’d get any sort of room in a shared house for under €100 per week in Dublin

You can if you share the room like an 8 year old at camp

• Registered Users Posts: 81,197 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Anything that brings more attention to the mess that is, the better, welcome to the party public servants.

Shouldn't have to pay both, don't know if you've needed it lately but hse is loading patients into private hospitals now and it isn't that simple to get a quick private appointments now because of it. It's like the passport scenario, if we're busy we'll create a backlog etc etc...don't know about you but if I'm busy I work longer hours. Last time I was in a public hospital two out of three theatres were idle and they say there's a waiting list of 500000 for care
    You sound young but I'm 66 and health care is important
    You didn’t answer the question. Who are we excessive taxed in compared to, and what is their health care?

Maybe people shouldn’t have to pay both, but it’s unfunded for the standard people want.

Thankfully I haven’t needed medical care recently. I do my best to avoid requiring it. But I do have young kids, and paying for it has been of massive assistance on two occasions; well worth the sacrifice of the other luxuries that I could have spent it on.

I also have parents older than you, and quite reliant on medical care; so my own age isn’t of importance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

engiweirdo wrote: »
    Musk is a product of his warped US coporatist environment. He actually sees himself as akin to Henry Ford, especially with the Model X,Y,Z names for the cars but is worlds apart. Ford was a great engineer and capitalist but saw the value of better pay and less working hours for his employees.

The work all the hours of the day mentality is a sickness that is seeping in from the poor saps reared in modern day high waged slavery in the US. Really ieks me to see companies here promote and engage in this behavilur when we have better functioning models east of us in Europe we should be following instead.

Ford had no problem turning his own goons/private security force on his own employees. And anyone who couldn't perform a task quickly enough on the assembly line was sacked. A bit of an arsehole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

We're excessively taxed, presumably to provide healthcare etc , yet to get proper and timely health care you have to pay health insurance as well.
    Go figure.
    December/january is the busiest time of the year in hospitals, yet medics took the hump when asked not to take holidays then, as a self employed I'd find that hard to accaept. Provide the service or don't take our taxes....simples
    Try and get one of your self employed plumbers and electricians between Christmas eve and rhe 2nd of January

Edgware wrote: »
    Try and get one of your self employed plumbers and electricians between Christmas eve and rhe 2nd of January

they are self employed
    they can take time off when they want, generally

• Advertisement

they are self employed
    they can take time off when they want, generally

Care to give us the figures about how someone could be worse off after a raise in the PS?

Go figure.

Yes. But what has that got to do with public servants ability to pay rent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If it's our system, then it applies to both sectors.

We get caught for additional levies the private sector don't "enjoy".
    A pay rise means additional types of deductions that weren't there on a lower salary.

We get caught for additional levies the private sector don't "enjoy".
    A pay rise means additional types of deductions that weren't there on a lower salary.
    Such as? What are they?
    You've provided zero specifics on this to actually make it believable.

You didn’t answer the question. Who are we excessive taxed in compared to, and what is their health care?

Maybe people shouldn’t have to pay both, but it’s unfunded for the standard people want.

Thankfully I haven’t needed medical care recently. I do my best to avoid requiring it. But I do have young kids, and paying for it has been of massive assistance on two occasions; well worth the sacrifice of the other luxuries that I could have spent it on.

I also have parents older than you, and quite reliant on medical care; so my own age isn’t of importance.

You don't need a comparison when poor service is a problem, to wait nine mths for a follow up to a test stinks. Nurses and Doctors are great but it's no good if the patient is left too long, might as well not be there

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Yes. But what has that got to do with public servants ability to pay rent?

they shouldn't get money then just cos they live in dublin

You don't need a comparison when poor service is a problem, to wait nine mths for a follow up to a test stinks. Nurses and Doctors are great but it's no good if the patient is left too long, might as well not be there
    Well if you state we are excessively taxed, you do kinda need a comparison. To have a health service like Scandinavia, you must look at how they pay for it; i.e. through taxation.

If you do believe we are excessively taxed, but the health service is still unable to provide an adequate service; then what is your proposal to improve/finance it?

Well if you state we are excessively taxed, you do kinda need a comparison. To have a health service like Scandinavia, you must look at how they pay for it; i.e. through taxation.

If you do believe we are excessively taxed, but the health service is still unable to provide an adequate service; then what is your proposal to improve/finance it?

It seems to be black hole for money now, huge amounts of money and few extra beds.......there are people paid to run it properly, plenty of people my age waiting for treatment, seems if they're a number of months waiting they can be outsouced to some treatment purchase thingy, so leave them nine mths and then clog up the private hospitals

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Compared to?

How about New Zealand. An island nation, similar population, lower taxes and yet they manage to have a budget surplus. Public debt as percentage of GDP - Ireland 78% - New Zealand 34%

NZ has no capital gains tax, no TV license fee, no death duties, no DIRT, the highest marginal income tax rate is 33%, compared to Ireland's 48%. The GST (VAT) rate is 15%, not 23%.

• Advertisement

Anything that brings more attention to the mess that is, the better, welcome to the party public servants.

i liked this because die hard

Advertisement