Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does true equality of opportunity look like?

Options
  • 01-12-2018 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭

What does true equality of opportunity look like? I sit on the panel of the Athena Swan in my university and it's a question that comes up again and again. Athena Swan is the body which ensures equality of opportunity amongst different genders, races and social class in STEM subjects but there's differences of opinion about how to do this. Some people think you make equal levels of gender and public/private school kids in the class is equality of opportunity but in my view it's clearly equality of outcome which is disagree with. Another question is how many levels to we equalise across? Right now in Athena Swan we have a directive to equalise men and women according to gender by focusing on opportunities of both genders but then they analyse genders to make sure the 50% of women come from equal private/public school background. I do believe that differences in opportunities hurts everyone but how do you go about fixing it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

In the aggregate, there should be no difference between equality of opportunity and outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's confusing. On one hand we are supposed to disregard gender - on the other hand we are supposed to promote women, for being women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

steddyeddy wrote: »
    It looks like the CAO where you are just a number and it is your merit, not your age, race or gender that gets you into university. Quotas are ridiculous. Not every career is going to have a 50/50 split. More men than women are interested in STEM and that's ok. Trying to entice a woman who has no interest into STEM is like trying to convince a man to train as a nail technician.

Equality of opportunity is not the same as equality of outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    It looks like the CAO where you are just a number and it is your merit, not your age, race or gender that gets you into university. Quotas are ridiculous. Not every career is going to have a 50/50 split. More men than women are interested in STEM and that's ok. Trying to entice a woman who has no interest into STEM is like trying to convince a man to train as a nail technician.

The CAO system does include a few levers to benefit the disadvantaged.

I'm a beneficiary of it.

Equality of opportunity and equality of outcome are the same thing in theory on a large enough population.

troyzer wrote: »
    The CAO system does include a few levers to benefit the disadvantaged.

I'm a beneficiary of it.

Equality of opportunity and equality of outcome are the same thing in theory on a large enough population.

What do you mean? If we had the stats for the entire world, I'm pretty sure that you would find few women bricklayers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Equality only truly exists when you are staring down the barrel of a gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Most of the equality of outcome proponents are just pushing for more women in lucrative positions, which shows how it is flawed thinking before it leaves the starting stalls. If they were campaigning for more women in the less cushy male dominated areas of employment I might take them serious.

Equality of opportunity is all that is needed.

Within reason of course. My Lapello's job application has been overlooked but I understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,416 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Equality of opportunity is largely socio economic I'd have thought.
    If equality of outcome means a 50/50 split it's wishful thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Only at death we are truly equal…

• Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's simple.

If two people, one man and one woman, work in the same job for the same amount of time, with the same education and experience and perform to the same level then they should receive equal pay and opportunity to take on new tasks, promotions and so on.

If however one makes a choice to take time out to travel the world or start/focus on raising a family and then comes back to work after an extended period of absence then no, they should not expect to be able to slot back in at the same higher level their colleague earned through their work and decision to prioritise that.

If however the returnee is prevented from having the chance of "catching up" over time then yes, that's unfair

Life is full of choices and each of these has an effect on other aspects of life. These choices are individual and will result in different outcomes. That's neither unfair nor discrimination

What's unfair is the notion that someone can come back and expect the same money, responsibility or benefits that someone else earned in their absence.
    There's an ad on the radio at the moment where a hypothetical mother has returned to work and complains that her role changed or her former staff member is now her boss and is advised to seek legal advice. It's ridiculous.

Life elsewhere and for others does not go on "hold" while you pursue your own choices, nor is it unfair that those choices may not be as advantageous as others in different situations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

California have recently made it illegal for companies not to have a woman on their board (must have 3 by 2021).

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭stinkbomb

Thats literally the opposite of what equality of opportunity looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

True equality of opportunity would be a demand for a certain quota of Parliament representatives to be people with no wealth behind them already in order for them to run for elections for parliament. Good f**king luck ever seeing that sort of "equality"

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

What this study fails to take into account is personal bias and the fact that your competence doesn't matter a jot if your boss simply doesn't like you and wont ever progress your career. On the other hand people who are absolutely useless can be promoted right to the top because their face fits. Its all very well banging on about women and men having equal opportunity etc etc but that ignores the harsh reality of the working world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

doesnt exist

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I do believe that differences in opportunities hurts everyone but how do you go about fixing it?

By using the opportunity to create opportunities for other people, to do just that. You’re not going to hurt anyone by creating opportunities for people who wouldn’t otherwise have had those opportunities had you not created the opportunities for them. The results of a quota system are the outcomes one expects to find in a system where everyone is given opportunities that wouldn’t normally have been available to them to achieve the same potential as anyone else who takes those opportunities for granted and doesn’t regard them as opportunities, but rather as entitlements.

Consider if you will, any time quotas are mentioned in relation to creating more opportunities in employment for women. It’s not long before someone points out that there are already equal opportunities for women to work in waste management. There are, and so those are not areas of employment where women need the opportunities to be able to achieve the same potential as men in those areas. There are areas in employment where policies could be introduced to give women the same opportunities in employment as men already have, which men take for granted, because as far as they’re concerned, they are entitled to those opportunities solely by virtue of what they imagine was their hard work, and not the hard work of the many people who contributed to their success.

It’s the same idea behind elevating people with disabilities in order to give them opportunities to gain employment - change the goals of the organisation from the top down, and restructure the organisation from the bottom up, and in that way parity in representation is achieved through the introduction of quotas. It’s still a system based upon merit, but now the criteria by which we award merit is changed so that people before who were awarded merits solely on the basis of what they imagined was their hard work, are now finding themselves having to compete on an equal footing for the same employment opportunities as people who would previously have been thought to have been unsuitable for those positions, by the people who imagined it was their hard work got them to where they are.

It’s easy to achieve this in educational and other institutions which have no regard for wasting public money, but it’s much harder to convince employers in the private sector that diversity is good for their bottom line -

Diversity... is it good for business, really?

Is Diversity Good For Business?

How Diversity Can Drive Innovation, Harvard Business Review

Tokenism, on the other hand, as in the context of the Swan program you’re referring to, is a terrible idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

We already have equality of opportunity in Ireland. There is nothing stopping anyone working their butt off and getting a good degree in a well paid discipline with skill shortages - other than their own interest, motivation and ability. They are throwing money at disadvantaged students nowadays.

Once you are qualified, can work reasonably hard and have a half decent personality you will walk into a job regardless of gender, race,.sexuality etc. All the other stuff is just white noise. The ones shouting loudest about equality of outcome are people who have studied unemployable subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

What does true equality of opportunity look like? I sit on the panel of the Athena Swan in my university and it's a question that comes up again and again. Athena Swan is the body which ensures equality of opportunity amongst different genders, races and social class in STEM subjects but there's differences of opinion about how to do this. Some people think you make equal levels of gender and public/private school kids in the class is equality of opportunity but in my view it's clearly equality of outcome which is disagree with. Another question is how many levels to we equalise across? Right now in Athena Swan we have a directive to equalise men and women according to gender by focusing on opportunities of both genders but then they analyse genders to make sure the 50% of women come from equal private/public school background. I do believe that differences in opportunities hurts everyone but how do you go about fixing it?

From what I've personally experienced ,gender , race etc are de rigueur in 3rd level institutions, they do however like to maintain the status quo of very middle class backgrounds. Nobody really wants the smelly commoners in the staff room after all.

professore wrote: »
    We already have equality of opportunity in Ireland. There is nothing stopping anyone working their butt off and getting a good degree in a well paid discipline with skill shortages - other than their own interest, motivation and ability. They are throwing money at disadvantaged students nowadays.

This is simply not true for many people prof -

Facts and figures

Disability and poverty

Employment has a key role to play in preventing poverty among people with disabilities. Research carried out by the ESRI shows a strong link between disability, joblessness, and risk of poverty, and conversely that employment is a safeguard for people with disabilities against experiencing poverty in their working years or on retirement. Over 80% of people who were ill/disabled and at risk of poverty were in households with nobody at work. Over 80% of those who were ill/disabled but not at risk of poverty had income from employment (67%) or a private pension from employment (14%).

Employment

The 2011 census showed 33% of people with disabilities of working age in work, compared to 66% of non-disabled people.

In total, there were 112,000 people with disabilities in employment. In international terms, Ireland’s employment rate for people with disabilities is low, even allowing for inter-cultural differences in how people report themselves as having a disability.

There are particularly low employment rates for people with physical disabilities, and those with intellectual disability or with mental health difficulties.

Comprehensive Employment Strategy for People with Disabilities 2015 - 2024

Getting financial assistance from the State, I’m not exaggerating when I say it’s like trying to get blood from a stone. In many cases people simply don’t have the resources themselves to be able to apply for assistance of any sort from the State.

Once you are qualified, can work reasonably hard and have a half decent personality you will walk into a job regardless of gender, race,.sexuality etc. All the other stuff is just white noise. The ones shouting loudest about equality of outcome are people who have studied unemployable subjects.

That’s not particularly true either, on either of those points. It’s idealism at best to suggest that anyone can simply walk into a job regardless of their gender, race, sexuality and so on. They can’t, no matter if they’re qualified, willing to work reasonably hard, or have a cracking personality. Everything depends upon what potential employers are looking for, and they generally aren’t looking for people who they imagine will be of no value to the organisation. As it happens, ironically enough, people who studied courses in which there was previously thought to be no prospect of employment are being snapped up by corporate giants - Google and Microsoft of course being two of the biggest and most well regarded and recognised, notwithstanding the fact that Google have their own problems to sort out with the numbers of millennials they chose to employ, to their own detriment of course.

Tokenism and virtue signalling probably seemed like a good idea at the time and made them attractive as an employer to other misguided misfits :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

professore wrote: »
    There is nothing stopping anyone working their butt off and getting a good degree in a well paid discipline with skill shortages - other than their own interest, motivation and ability.

This is really dumb in so many ways. Does a child neglected by an alcoholic single-parent have the same equality-of-opportunity as a child raised in a stable two-parent home with a live-in tutor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I have a degree in a STEM subject. There were 2 women out the some 100 students that participated in the course in my former uni.

I don't understand what barriers are in place to stop a 17yo female from applying for a STEM subject. How could a 17yo woman feel before they ever engaged in it think that they wouldn't get on in it in a career ? It's a bit rich to say that women aren't being allowed to get on in STEM areas when they don't even engage in the study of it in the first place.

I didn't go into Computer Science in the end. I decided it was way too demanding on my personal time because if you don't know Computer Science requires constant learning on top of the work itself. That's just the way it is and I suspect it's the same in other STEM subject areas.

I think that many women don't go into CS exactly because of the same reason I didn't, especially because woman may wish to have a family. I'm male and still I didn't want to suffer the burden of all my free time being soaked up by constant learning often just to keep up no mind advance.

And get this , which backs up my last point, both the 2 woman who were part of my class, were lesbians. So not one single heterosexual woman studied CS in my class year at UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Equality of opportunity looks like the ways things are now for men and women in most professions

How do you fix it? It aint broke---but going down the ignorant and sexist gender quota (equality of outcome) road will lead to trouble

stinkbomb wrote: »
    Thats literally the opposite of what equality of opportunity looks like.
    I'm confused. As I see it, equality of opportunity means that the opportunity is available to anyone, regardless of gender or race. So if a job is advertised, anyone can apply for it. That doesn't mean that every sector is going to have an equal division of men and women. So you'll have a majority of men in something like construction and a majority of women in childcare.

Equality of opportunity looks like the ways things are now for men and women in most professions

How do you fix it? It aint broke---but going down the ignorant and sexist gender quota (equality of outcome) road will lead to trouble
    Gender quotas are the worst idea ever and will only lead to division amongst the sexes. I am a woman and would like to think I would get hired because I'm able to use my brain and not just because I have a vagina and the company gets to tick a box in their quota ratio.

Feminists go on about the objectification of women but being hired simply because you have a vagina IS objectification. It's saying that women aren't strong enough to rely on their own skills and merit and having a vagina is the most important thing in the interview process if going up against male candidates. I find it ridiculous and embarrassing that they think this is empowering.

I'd rather see a board of ten men who got their on their own, than eight men and two women who are there to fill a quota. Do women who want to get hired because of a quota think their colleagues are going to respect them? When diversity quotas become a thing, would they be happy to give their slot to a less able candidate but that candidate is a person of colour so the company gets to tick two boxes at once - female and diversity? I don't think so but this is the dangerous road we are going down.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

^^^many women don't have vaginas

^^^many women don't have vaginas
    That's a good point. How will we evaluate who is a woman and who is a man? Could a man self-identify as a woman and get in as part of the gender quota?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

That's a good point. How will we evaluate who is a woman and who is a man? Could a man self-identify as a woman and get in as part of the gender quota?
    in a word, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

What do you mean? If we had the stats for the entire world, I'm pretty sure that you would find few women bricklayers.

Never seen a woman working at roadworks either

Gender quotas are the worst idea ever and will only lead to division amongst the sexes. I am a woman and would like to think I would get hired because I'm able to use my brain and not just because I have a vagina and the company gets to tick a box in their quota ratio.

Gender quotas don’t in and of themselves lead to division among the sexes at all. What is almost guaranteed to lead to division among the sexes are people who feel they were denied opportunities for employment based upon their gender, and that’s how we’re now at the point where gender quotas are now becoming more prominent and getting more attention than before - because they’re an outcome of what has been an imbalance in opportunities between people on the basis of often immutable characteristics. In your example, you have it arseways - currently it’s more likely you wouldn’t even be considered for a role because you’re a woman, and so you wouldn’t be given the opportunity to show off those brains you’ve got, often based upon the assumption that based upon the fact you were born with a vagina, you’re more likely to want to push a gaggle of children out of it at some stage and employers would have to consider paying you for maternity leave and possibly comply with legislation regarding allowing you time to breastfeed and so on. It would cost them less to hire a man, whether he’s likely to be a half-wit or not generally tends to be irrelevant, as is obvious from the sheer numbers of men in positions where they have the opportunity to hire women, but they don’t, because they imagine women will want to take time off to have children, like maternity leave is coming out of their own pockets - those women should stay at home and be provided for by men rather than getting any ideas above their stations.

Feminists go on about the objectification of women but being hired simply because you have a vagina IS objectification. It's saying that women aren't strong enough to rely on their own skills and merit and having a vagina is the most important thing in the interview process if going up against male candidates. I find it ridiculous and embarrassing that they think this is empowering.

I’m not a feminist, but from what little I do understand of modern feminism (and I’ll be the first to admit I don’t understand a lot of it what with men now identifying as feminists and so on), you’re presenting an argument that was never made by mainstream feminism at least. They aren’t suggesting that women should be hired on the basis that they have a vagina, but rather they are pointing out that women aren’t being hired on the basis that they have a vagina, and what the people with the power to hire women suggest that having a vagina says about women. The people making those assumptions are usually men. Feminists are arguing that because of the fact you have a vagina, you can have all the skills and talents and experiences which have made you who you are, and you still won’t be given the same opportunities as men to show what you can do, because of the underlying prevailing assumptions about you by men, based upon your sex. Feminists may well have a point in arguing that it’s so ingrained in society that people do it unconsciously, even to themselves.

There are numerous studies done which suggest that women lacking confidence in their own abilities is one of the greatest barriers holding them back from opportunities in employment, and the basis for their lack of belief in their own abilities is based upon their own perceptions about other people being more capable than they are. It’s definitely something I’ve noticed in the years I’ve been interviewing men and women for different roles - in primary school teaching for example, it’s blatantly obvious among male candidates that they lack confidence in their own abilities. I know I do too, in spite of my mothers insistence that I should become a teacher as she believes I’m more than capable. She ought to know - she raised me, and has 40 years experience as a primary school teacher herself, but when offered the role of Principal in the school, she refused to take it because she didn’t believe she would be as capable in the role as a man.

Pointing out that women are absolutely just as capable as men, is empowering, and the corrolary of that of course - pointing out that men are just as capable as women, is empowering. I feel confident now that I could be a primary school teacher, but ask any teacher now and they’ll point out to you that unless you’re truly passionate about educating children - don’t become a teacher, because the remuneration package is crap - low pay, no job security and you’re far less likely to be hired over a man. That’s not to mention the reason I personally wouldn’t do it is because educating children has become a secondary consideration for the Department of Education who seem to interpret the term in loco parentis quite literally, where teachers are expected to fulfil the role of parents, and complete a rather tedious set of box ticking exercises and a mountain of paperwork on top of everything else they’re expected to do. Having said all that, it still beats the hell out of me why teaching is by far the most popular choice among students applying for third level education according to our most recent census figures, and that’s not the only thing I’ve observed in education -

Gender imbalances in the classroom – and all the way up

I'd rather see a board of ten men who got their on their own, than eight men and two women who are there to fill a quota. Do women who want to get hired because of a quota think their colleagues are going to respect them? When diversity quotas become a thing, would they be happy to give their slot to a less able candidate but that candidate is a person of colour so the company gets to tick two boxes at once - female and diversity? I don't think so but this is the dangerous road we are going down.

Nobody gets to boardroom level on their own, and anyone who tries to convince you that they did, it’s safe to say they’re full of shìt. I certainly wouldn’t wouldn’t want to work with someone who was so far up their own hole they’d forgotten about the numerous people who had helped them get to where they are. One of the things that struck me about the tech industry, and this is something that struck me 20 years ago, is that it’s a sausage factory - there’s literally fcukall women in IT. There are a few exceptional examples of course, such as Safra Catz (CEO of Oracle), Meg Whitman (former CEO of HP) and Marissa Mayer (former CEO of Yahoo), but they would be the most well known in the tech industry, and hardly ever heard of by anyone outside of the tech industry.

Women should be respected regardless of how they are hired, and so when you ask the question do women who want to get hired because of a quota think their colleagues will respect them, the answer is of course that they should have no reason to expect that they wouldn’t be entitled to an equal level of respect as their colleagues who are full of shìt imagining that they got where they are on their own.

Diversity quotas as I previously pointed out, have been a thing for a couple of decades now at least, certainly long before I was born, and would I be happy to give my position to a person who I imagined was less capable of my job than I am? Of course not, that would be stupid. As it happens, the vast majority of people vying for my position are men, and by sheer virtue of their numbers, there are far more less than capable men vying for my position before women even get so much as a sniff at vying for my position. That’s why in a sausage factory, the person who isn’t endowed with a sausage is likely to stand out more, to me at least, than having to deal with soft-headed sausages all day. Nobody wants to deal with a soft headed sausage really (I feel that the metaphor may be stretched at this point :pac:).

I would certainly be happy to give my position to a person who I imagine would bring something new to the table, as opposed to a bunch of soft-headed sausages who imagine they are entitled to my position on the basis that they imagine they got the opportunity as a result of their own abilities. That they could display an ability to flatter their bosses ego and kiss arse generally isn’t all that useful to me, and certainly offers no tangible value. We’re already well down the road where black people (that ‘people of colour’ identifier is a level of stupid I won’t stoop to) are being given opportunities they wouldn’t have had before due to the fact those opportunities were denied to them on the basis of their skin colour. I don’t see any reason why it is of any advantage to society to continue to deny women opportunities they should have solely on the basis that they were born with a vagina and we expect that they shouldn’t be getting above themselves and challenging the status quo. I would be only too delighted to see opportunities for men to do the same thing, because everyone already has the opportunity to work in waste management if they want to, but everyone does not have the opportunity to become CEO of a tech giant if they want to. God knows Elon Musk hasn’t exactly been covering himself in glory lately and has had to step down while the woman who took his place at Tesla is expected to act like his mother rather than being regarded as capable of turning around a shìt-show of a company -

New Tesla chairwoman's biggest challenge is controlling Musk

• Advertisement

There are numerous studies done which suggest that women lacking confidence in their own abilities is one of the greatest barriers holding them back from opportunities in employment, and the basis for their lack of belief in their own abilities is based upon their own perceptions about other people being more capable than they are.
    There was so much text in your post that I would have to write an essay to respond to it all :P so this is what I want to focus on. You notice that in women. You also noticed it in yourself but you had your mother who gave you the confidence to pursue your career, if you chose. So you didn't need the government to come in with a gender quota. You got the support you needed from your personal life to help you decide how you wanted to pursue your professional life.

Business is not about empowering people or teaching people assertiveness skills. Business is about making money. If women want to be CEO's then the onus is on them to develop these skills and put in the hours. If you want to get ahead in life, you have to believe in yourself.

If someone, man or woman, lacks the confidence in themselves, then why should they be given a position of responsibility just to fill a gender quota? What shareholder wants someone running their company who is afraid of how others perceive them?

In this day and age, there are numerous assertiveness courses. It is up to each person to decide what they want and then they have to self evaluate if they have the skills necessary to succeed. There is always going to be a level of networking. That's standard for any job. It's not just what you know, it's who you know. If I need to hire a tradesman, I'll always go with recommendations from friends, rather that risk hiring a cowboy.

Honestly, if you needed work done on your house, would you pick someone at random in the interest of fairness, or would you go with someone you could check out? That's why for even a basic minimum wage job you have to be able to provide references.

Advertisement