Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does true equality of opportunity look like?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    That's a good point. How will we evaluate who is a woman and who is a man? Could a man self-identify as a woman and get in as part of the gender quota?

The answer to that, legally is yes.

I feel confident now that I could be a primary school teacher, but ask any teacher now and they’ll point out to you that unless you’re truly passionate about educating children - don’t become a teacher, because the remuneration package is crap - low pay, no job security and you’re far less likely to be hired over a man.

That’s an insane bizzarro world you live in. Teachers earn a middle class salary, it’s a secure government job, and women dominate primary school teaching.
    Nobody gets to boardroom level on their own, and anyone who tries to convince you that they did, it’s safe to say they’re full of shìt.

Some get there by stomping over others. Why the concern with the boardroom, anyway? How likely is an inner city male to get to a boardroom.
    I certainly wouldn’t wouldn’t want to work with someone who was so far up their own hole they’d forgotten about the numerous people who had helped them get to where they are. One of the things that struck me about the tech industry, and this is something that struck me 20 years ago, is that it’s a sausage factory - there’s literally fcukall women in IT.

It’s exact proportional to the number of women doing computer science and the equivalent, or higher in some countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Mao suites for all with only 4 styles of hair for all genders is the only way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Sometimes I feel like I live in a divergent universe. People's ideas of what constitutes a life seem so peculiar to me. All this effort at shuffling the cards to have some kind of equality in some boring boardroom in some boring job. Why not just live a life and stop getting het up about crap that means almost zilch on any true scale of life, love, meaning, purpose, contentment etc.

I am 50 - there has never been a damn thing I could not have done if I really wanted to do it. Never. I studied what I wanted, got the marks I worked for, accepted or refused career opportunity depending on my choices and priorities. All this pseudo difficulty for women is embarrassing and patronising - fait ta vie, for fecks sake. There are enough real problems to occupy a body and mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    There was so much text in your post that I would have to write an essay to respond to it all :P so this is what I want to focus on. You notice that in women. You also noticed it in yourself but you had your mother who gave you the confidence to pursue your career, if you chose. So you didn't need the government to come in with a gender quota. You got the support you needed from your personal life to help you decide how you wanted to pursue your professional life.

You make a fair point that I did dump a lot of text in just one post, so I’ll try to do better with this one :p

It wasn’t actually my mother who gave me the confidence in myself to pursue a career in IT. At the time she was actually quite opposed to the idea and cared more about fostering an interest in the Arts, something which to be fair to her does stand to me to this day, but when I suggested to her 30 years ago that computers would be the paper and pencil of tomorrow, I don’t think I’ve ever seen her laugh as hard since :pac: I’m dyslexic so paper and pencil were, and still are, problematic, and of course this was also one of the fundamental reasons for my lack of confidence in my ability to become a teacher. On Scratch Saturday (I don’t know if you’re old enough to remember the muppet with a toilet brush for hair? Not Andy Ruane - Pajo?) when I had to do a piece to camera about what I wanted to be when I grew up, “I want to be a maths teacher when I grow up”, didn’t go down well, and I was told I could say I want to be a footballer. I had the confidence to say “I don’t want to be a footballer though!”. I was an odd combination of a very dull and difficult child :pac:

I actually got the support to pursue my education from a social worker who was given my case when I moved out of home at 16 and moved into a flat while still attending secondary school and working part-time. I don’t recommend it to anyone as it was incredibly difficult, and had it not been for the social worker who saw something in me I didn’t see in myself at the time, I would not have pursued the career I did. I knew what I wanted to do, I just didn’t know how to do it, and had it not been for the social worker creating those opportunities and opening doors for me and encouraging me to go for things and supporting me, I certainly wouldn’t have had the opportunities or the motivation to do it on my own.

I personally didn’t need the Government to come in with a gender quota, and I think their current efforts to address imbalances in quotas in employment opportunities afforded to both men and women, amount to nothing more than tokenism. I feel that’s the essential difference between the two things you’re missing - Government tokenism is a result, or an outcome, of existing gender quotas which favoured opportunities in certain areas of employment historically based upon a persons sex.

Business is not about empowering people or teaching people assertiveness skills. Business is about making money. If women want to be CEO's then the onus is on them to develop these skills and put in the hours. If you want to get ahead in life, you have to believe in yourself.

If someone, man or woman, lacks the confidence in themselves, then why should they be given a position of responsibility just to fill a gender quota? What shareholder wants someone running their company who is afraid of how others perceive them?

It depends upon whether or not you want your business to be successful - a successful business from my point of view at least, is one that actually does empower people, and encourages people to be assertive. Those two things alone generate far more in revenue than businesses in which the goal is simply to make as much money as possible. As I pointed out to eddy earlier in the thread - diversity is good for any businesses bottom line, and this is backed up by plenty of research involving some of the worlds most financially successful companies. I do agree with you that if you want to get ahead in life, it’s important to believe in yourself. What is far more influential in your success however, will be the number of people who believe in you and are willing to take a chance on you and give you the opportunity to show them that they won’t regret having taken a risk in believing in you. Richard Branson is a good example of that philosophy.

You ask the question if someone lacks confidence in themselves then why should they be given a position of responsibility just to fill a gender quota. It’s precisely because people who lack confidence in themselves are in positions of responsibility that they’re now getting their knickers in a bunch when gender quotas are being touted as a way to address historical gender quotas which worked in their favour. They’re worried they may be toppled from their positions by someone who is as capable as they are, but has never had the opportunities that they have had. Shareholders generally couldn’t give a shiny shìte about who’s running a company as opposed to how they’re running a company that those shareholders are choosing to invest in. Both Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg are, or were at least, notoriously insecure in themselves, and both made their fortunes and fortunes for their shareholders by empowering people and giving people the opportunities to assert themselves - hard to find anyone who isn’t glued to Facebook on their iPhones these days, precisely because they too are notoriously insecure and obsessed with how they are perceived by other people :pac:

In this day and age, there are numerous assertiveness courses. It is up to each person to decide what they want and then they have to self evaluate if they have the skills necessary to succeed. There is always going to be a level of networking. That's standard for any job. It's not just what you know, it's who you know. If I need to hire a tradesman, I'll always go with recommendations from friends, rather that risk hiring a cowboy.

Honestly, if you needed work done on your house, would you pick someone at random in the interest of fairness, or would you go with someone you could check out? That's why for even a basic minimum wage job you have to be able to provide references.

The nature of employment is changing, and traditional attitudes towards employment are becoming obsolete as they are no longer making money like they used to. That’s precisely why there is an upsurge in all this assertiveness training and so on - there was simply no need for it before as people “accepted their lot in life” so to speak. They don’t any more, and that’s why we see more and more young women demanding more of themselves, and demanding more of potential employers, because they’re beginning to realise that actually they don’t have to settle for what was traditionally regarded as “women’s work”.

It’s funny though you should ask me about needing work done on my house. I don’t own a house, I rent an apartment, and as it happens I do need work done on it. I don’t go with recommendations from friends because they generally tend to recommend a friend of a friend who it turns out is a cowboy masquerading as a professional to people who generally don’t know any better. I went on tradesman.ie and there isn’t a tradesman to be got before Christmas. As it turns out, the estate agent who just happens to be a woman, is far more resourceful when it comes to this sort of thing than I am, so I gave her the responsibility and it turns out she was able to deliver on her promises. Now whether the tradespeople she hires are actually any good or not is something I’ll have to get back to you on after Christmas. I haven’t seen their references, but I trust my estate agent knows what she’s doing. What I can tell you already is that I’m certainly glad I’m not paying for their services as they’re quoting considerably more than just minimum wage for labour alone :pac:

EDIT: I really didn’t do any better there at all, did I? :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

I have a beloved relation who could be the poster girl for equality of outcome. She is intellectually brilliant, a mother, unreasonably pretty and works at the topmost level in her field of employment which is in STEM. In the decades I have known her not once, not even subtly, has she ever said one single thing that alludes to this whole idea that women have it tougher still. She brilliantly, confidently and determinedly pursued her course and is very popular with her largely male staff because she is easy going and NEVER plays the gender card. All she ever needed was the equality of opportunity that exists already here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,212 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

If you just look at how each gender spends their spare time and cash you can see that both genders have (apart from a little overlap)have very different interests and passions...I cant understand why we seem hellbent on forcing any gender to do anything in his/her professional life that most do not want to do...this is one result of the unchallenged dominant feminist narrative...there are many others, each one as divisive as the next!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,416 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Maybe it's forgotten what men do to get to the top of their profession.
    Long hours,forgo family life,and a great deal of cleaning the bosses backside.
    As we all know favouritism gets you way further than ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

This is really dumb in so many ways. Does a child neglected by an alcoholic single-parent have the same equality-of-opportunity as a child raised in a stable two-parent home with a live-in tutor?

Yes, that child is an extreme example in a very difficult home situation, but will get a full grant plus DARE funding on top of it. If they have the interest and ability they can do it. Plenty of brilliant free tutorials online they can watch on their phone. They can go study in the library or after school.

Of course there are extreme situations but most people in disadvantaged areas are not as bad as this.

No one in my family went to college and I was pushed to get a job by my parents. I applied for the grant on their behalf and assured them I'd work during the summers to top up the shortfall.

One of my daughters friends is from a very rough background yet he is studying IT and excelling at it.

Also all the grinds in the world won't help you in a STEM degree. It's also the least judgy of all the branches in college (medicine excepted). If you have the ability you will get the results. The arts and humanities are where the real snobs are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Zorya wrote: »
    Sometimes I feel like I live in a divergent universe. People's ideas of what constitutes a life seem so peculiar to me. All this effort at shuffling the cards to have some kind of equality in some boring boardroom in some boring job. Why not just live a life and stop getting het up about crap that means almost zilch on any true scale of life, love, meaning, purpose, contentment etc.

I am 50 - there has never been a damn thing I could not have done if I really wanted to do it. Never. I studied what I wanted, got the marks I worked for, accepted or refused career opportunity depending on my choices and priorities. All this pseudo difficulty for women is embarrassing and patronising - fait ta vie, for fecks sake. There are enough real problems to occupy a body and mind.
    but women can't make it on their own merits. we're told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

biko wrote: »
    It's confusing. On one hand we are supposed to disregard gender - on the other hand we are supposed to promote women, for being women.

What if I identify myself as a woman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

professore wrote: »
    This is really dumb in so many ways. Does a child neglected by an alcoholic single-parent have the same equality-of-opportunity as a child raised in a stable two-parent home with a live-in tutor?

Yes, that child is an extreme example in a very difficult home situation, but will get a full grant plus DARE funding on top of it. If they have the interest and ability they can do it. Plenty of brilliant free tutorials online they can watch on their phone. They can go study in the library or after school.

Of course there are extreme situations but most people in disadvantaged areas are not as bad as this.

No one in my family went to college and I was pushed to get a job by my parents. I applied for the grant on their behalf and assured them I'd work during the summers to top up the shortfall.

One of my daughters friends is from a very rough background yet he is studying IT and excelling at it.

Also all the grinds in the world won't help you in a STEM degree. It's also the least judgy of all the branches in college (medicine excepted). If you have the ability you will get the results. The arts and humanities are where the real snobs are.

Results are fine. Ability gets you results. Getting hired and you're back to the same game again anyway. Your results dont mean **** to them. "Fit" is the nice safe term used these days meaning you're not realky the right type of person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

engiweirdo wrote: »
    Results are fine. Ability gets you results. Getting hired and you're back to the same game again anyway. Your results dont mean **** to them. "Fit" is the nice safe term used these days meaning you're not realky the right type of person.

Point is if you are a white straight male and you go for a STEM job and you don't know your **** they won't hire you. If you are a black female and do know your **** they will hire you. In fact they will hire you over a similarly qualified male because you are a rare as hens teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

engiweirdo wrote: »

Point is if you are a white straight male and you go for a STEM job and you don't know your **** they won't hire you. If you are a black female and do know your **** they will hire you. In fact they will hire you over a similarly qualified male because you are a rare as hens teeth.
    If you're a straight white male from an obviously working class background who does know their ****e, you take a further step back in the queue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Graces7 wrote: »
    Never seen a woman working at roadworks either

I worked construction in a part of Canada that had quotas mandating that they must hire a portion of women (not sure what this proportion was but there were 3 on our site).

Two of them literally would only do the holding the STOP sign job i.e. stand there listening to tunes all day with a sign - the easiest and cushiest job by far on the site.
    The third woman got more stuck in in fairness however she wasn't able for the heavier aspects of the work (which comprises the majority of the work in concrete construction), and so would mainly stick to sweeping/gathering little bits of debris etc. - helpful, but still one of the nicest/easiest jobs available on the site.

Meanwhile we'd be erecting steel shoring and scaffolds, hauling sacks of concrete and huge, long blocks of wood up stairs and ladders, hammering away at mispoured concrete and slag in the baking sun all day etc etc

We got paid the exact same for our work.

Equality eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The only overwhelming privilege in most western countries is your parents bank account balance. Your skin colour and genitalia mean **** all if daddy is loaded

Rich women love this gender equality nonsense, suddenly they can claim they're at the bottom of the ladder instead of the top AND be given a leg up over their male peers

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

What this study fails to take into account is personal bias and the fact that your competence doesn't matter a jot if your boss simply doesn't like you and wont ever progress your career. On the other hand people who are absolutely useless can be promoted right to the top because their face fits. Its all very well banging on about women and men having equal opportunity etc etc but that ignores the harsh reality of the working world.
    I hope you are not suggesting that my boss promoted his golf partner four times without having the best interests of the organisation (now closed) at heart. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

We already have equality of opportunity in Ireland. There is nothing stopping anyone working their butt off and getting a good degree in a well paid discipline with skill shortages - other than their own interest, motivation and ability. They are throwing money at disadvantaged students nowadays.

Once you are qualified, can work reasonably hard and have a half decent personality you will walk into a job regardless of gender, race,.sexuality etc. All the other stuff is just white noise. The ones shouting loudest about equality of outcome are people who have studied unemployable subjects.

I grew up in a council house in Crumlin to eventually lead a research project. I'd agree with you completely on social mobility with the caveat that Ireland has great social mobility for science but in areas like law or business it can be lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

That’s an insane bizzarro world you live in. Teachers earn a middle class salary, it’s a secure government job, and women dominate primary school teaching.

Hmm, there’s a lot more to it than that though. While it’s true that qualified teachers who can get permanent positions after they have been probated are on the ladder to potentially earning a middle class salary (can we agree that a middle class salary is €55k? Teachers payscales for reference), the fact is that the vast majority of newly qualified teachers are unable to secure a post in a school and end up taking minimum wage jobs to make ends meet, or working piecemeal hours across as many as three different schools due to teaching shortages. It’s true that women dominate primary school teaching, which is why thanks to recent tokenism efforts - men applying are far more in demand and more likely to be hired than women, purely on the basis of the assumption that boys need male role models. What boys need are role models who inspire them to want to learn and take an interest in their own education. It’s not much good having a male teacher who isn’t capable of much more than scratching their arse who has no interest in educating children. I had a few of those in an all-boys secondary school, which were fortunately for us at least balanced out by female teachers who were passionate about education in spite of the pay being peanuts. Upon her retirement, I would hardly suggest my mother is living the high life on her Government pension.

Some get there by stomping over others. Why the concern with the boardroom, anyway? How likely is an inner city male to get to a boardroom.

Which is precisely the kind of behaviour that is stamped out when a workforce is more diverse, and the more diverse a workforce is, the more checks and balances are naturally in place to prevent people from stomping on other people who they imagine themselves to be superior to. Why the concern with the boardroom? Representation. It’s not simply a question of money, it’s also about people in positions of power and influence who represent role models for young people. Remember when you were a child and you’d tie a tea towel around your neck and jump off the back of an armchair thinking you could fly? Superman was responsible for a lot of childhood injuries back then, but he was also responsible for inspiring generations of young people, as of course was Wonder Woman for young women! New generations of young people are being inspired and influenced by Black Panther. Can’t say I could really relate to it myself, I thought the movie was terrible, but it’s what the movie represents for that black inner city male who might just be inspired to want more from their life than following their fathers and their brothers into a life of crime and anti-social behaviour.

The boardroom (or the C-suite as it’s becoming more commonly known) is the ultimate representation of success in life - a seat on the board in a successful company represents power, authority and commands a great degree of respect. Getting there, of course, is the hard part. Harder again if you’re a male from the inner city, but the days of breaking people’s balls and offering them meagre rewards for their labour are fast becoming a thing of the past, as the path to the C-suite has changed significantly over the last 20 years (article from 2011) -

Going forward, C-level executives will not simply manage their own business areas; they will be active members of the firm’s senior leadership who advise the CEO on key decisions. As one executive recruiter put it, “The C-level person today needs to be more team-oriented, capable of multitasking continuously and leading without rank, and able to resist stress and make sure that his subordinates do not burn out. And he needs to do all of this with a big smile in an open plan office. In other words, we’re looking at a whole new breed of top executive.”

The New Path To the C-Suite

It’s exact proportional to the number of women doing computer science and the equivalent, or higher in some countries.

While that’s true, I’m glad computer science isn’t the only path to a successful career in IT any more. Computer science qualifications are generally only useful if your career aspirations begin and end with being a code monkey in a cubicle for the rest of your career. I should know, I have one, and while it was useful in getting a foot in the door 20 years ago, I wouldn’t rely on it on it’s own to secure a position in an IT company nowadays as they’re being handed out like tissue paper. I look for more in any candidates nowadays than just whether or not they possess an IT qualification. It may well be their qualifications in an Arts related field which makes them an invaluable asset to a progressive company operating in a modern economy where often nowadays it’s not just what you know, but it’s whether or not you fit in with the company culture. I think that’s the path which will see more diversity in the workplace than in previous generations. I think it will happen naturally without State-sponsored tokenism efforts. Who knows? I may even shed my shirt and tie and start turning up to work in “smart casual” like everyone else in the office...

Probably not though :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

It's like a big buffet of rights! And no responsibility! Woohoo!

Bambi wrote: »
    The only overwhelming privilege in most western countries is your parents bank account balance. Your skin colour and genitalia mean **** all if daddy is loaded

Rich women love this gender equality nonsense, suddenly they can claim they're at the bottom of the ladder instead of the top AND be given a leg up over their male peers

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner. :)

Exactly. A british university professor (grad from Cambridge) accused me of “privilege” in a twitter spat last year. That’s a lad from working class north side of Dublin being accused of privilege by a woman who is part of the English elite, went to a private school and has an “ancestral home” in Kent. Not downtown abbey but a a Georgian pad all the same. (I googled her).

Identity politics is a joy for elites. It ignores class (in Britain it ignores Englishness as well as if “whiteness” was some kind of useful explanation of culture). Not surprising it has caught on.

It's rightly pointed out that men and women aren't really categories at all.

Inner city Dublin like myself, some lad like Boris Johnson who attended Eton, some girl who attended a top UK private school and a girl from a single parent family who attended a school in school in the roughest part of hull. These are evidence of the fact you cannot say men have it easier than girls without knowing the background of each.

Exactly. A british university professor (grad from Cambridge) accused me of “privilege” in a twitter spat last year. That’s a lad from working class north side of Dublin being accused of privilege by a woman who is part of the English elite, went to a private school and has an “ancestral home” in Kent. Not downtown abbey but a a Georgian pad all the same. (I googled her).

Identity politics is a joy for elites. It ignores class (in Britain it ignores Englishness as well as if “whiteness” was some kind of useful explanation of culture). Not surprising it has caught on.

As I say I share an Athena Swan panel with people from diverse backgrounds. One of the people on the panel is someone who continually likes to divide success and opportunity by gender alone. She will talk about male opportunity. I'm from Crumlin and she attended St.Mary's private boarding school in Ascot and partly as a result of that got into Oxford. I've had far more success than her in terms of research having reached a global audience and as a result she always finds ways to link my chromosomal gender to my success.

The Athena Swan rightfully breaks down gender by private/public education as well as other background factors. Yet this panel member completely refuses to see the vast benefits she had over other girls and boys from another social class. She was objecting to any initiative which was aimed at fixing a class disparity. She openly said that Private school children are there simply because they are more intelligent that the rest. She's no different from another professor who says that boys are better at science because they're generally more intelligent. You'd be surprised at how many people from privileged backgrounds are the first to claim discrimination in terms of gender and then promote discrimination in other ways.

Hmm, there’s a lot more to it than that though. While it’s true that qualified teachers who can get permanent positions after they have been probated are on the ladder to potentially earning a middle class salary (can we agree that a middle class salary is €55k? Teachers payscales for reference), the fact is that the vast majority of newly qualified teachers are unable to secure a post in a school and end up taking minimum wage jobs to make ends meet, or working piecemeal hours across as many as three different schools due to teaching shortages. It’s true that women dominate primary school teaching, which is why thanks to recent tokenism efforts - men applying are far more in demand and more likely to be hired than women, purely on the basis of the assumption that boys need male role models. What boys need are role models who inspire them to want to learn and take an interest in their own education. It’s not much good having a male teacher who isn’t capable of much more than scratching their arse who has no interest in educating children. I had a few of those in an all-boys secondary school, which were fortunately for us at least balanced out by female teachers who were passionate about education in spite of the pay being peanuts. Upon her retirement, I would hardly suggest my mother is living the high life on her Government pension.

Most teaching is done by tenured teachers. So the argument that teaching isn't a middle class salary is nonsense. And what bigotry the part on bold is regarding the male teachers ( as well as the claim that the pay is peanuts again).

On, and your mother is living on a pension which is 2-3 times the state pension. Which is what most people get. So she not only earned more during her life, but she gets a better pension than most private sector workers.

Which is precisely the kind of behaviour that is stamped out when a workforce is more diverse, and the more diverse a workforce is, the more checks and balances are naturally in place to prevent people from stomping on other people who they imagine themselves to be superior to.

Women who get to the top are as schemeful as the men.
    Why the concern with the boardroom? Representation. It’s not simply a question of money, it’s also about people in positions of power and influence who represent role models for young people. Remember when you were a child and you’d tie a tea towel around your neck and jump off the back of an armchair thinking you could fly? Superman was responsible for a lot of childhood injuries back then, but he was also responsible for inspiring generations of young people, as of course was Wonder Woman for young women! New generations of young people are being inspired and influenced by Black Panther. Can’t say I could really relate to it myself, I thought the movie was terrible, but it’s what the movie represents for that black inner city male who might just be inspired to want more from their life than following their fathers and their brothers into a life of crime and anti-social behaviour.

Thats a move to fantasy. An, no the posh males on the boardrooms don't act as a role model for working class people. Never did. Somebody on the streets of inner Dublin or Detroit don't aspire to being corporate CEOs, unless they can do via rap or music or sports. A la Dr Dre or Connor McGreggor. Listen to the accents where you work.
    The boardroom (or the C-suite as it’s becoming more commonly known) is the ultimate representation of success in life - a seat on the board in a successful company represents power, authority and commands a great degree of respect. Getting there, of course, is the hard part. Harder again if you’re a male from the inner city, but the days of breaking people’s balls and offering them meagre rewards for their labour are fast becoming a thing of the past, as the path to the C-suite has changed significantly over the last 20 years (article from 2011) -

You live in a fantasy world. In that world class doesn't exist and the only thing that needs to be fixed now, is gender imbalances. That bold part is unbelievable.
    Going forward, C-level executives will not simply manage their own business areas; they will be active members of the firm’s senior leadership who advise the CEO on key decisions. As one executive recruiter put it, “The C-level person today needs to be more team-oriented, capable of multitasking continuously and leading without rank, and able to resist stress and make sure that his subordinates do not burn out. And he needs to do all of this with a big smile in an open plan office. In other words, we’re looking at a whole new breed of top executive.”

The 99% of people who don't have a chance of becoming part of the C-Suite ( what a bollocks term by the way) don't care. ( Had to laugh at going forward, too. The ultimate is corporate bollocksology).

While that’s true, I’m glad computer science isn’t the only path to a successful career in IT any more. Computer science qualifications are generally only useful if your career aspirations begin and end with being a code monkey in a cubicle for the rest of your career. I should know, I have one, and while it was useful in getting a foot in the door 20 years ago, I wouldn’t rely on it on it’s own to secure a position in an IT company nowadays as they’re being handed out like tissue paper. I look for more in any candidates nowadays than just whether or not they possess an IT qualification. It may well be their qualifications in an Arts related field which makes them an invaluable asset to a progressive company operating in a modern economy where often nowadays it’s not just what you know, but it’s whether or not you fit in with the company culture. I think that’s the path which will see more diversity in the workplace than in previous generations. I think it will happen naturally without State-sponsored tokenism efforts. Who knows? I may even shed my shirt and tie and start turning up to work in “smart casual” like everyone else in the office...

Probably not though :p

Why would computer science degrees begin and and with being a "code monkey". Why wouldn't people with science degrees become the CEOs or Managers? Shouldn't they, in fact do that? Haven't they in most of the most successful companies done that? Most of the rest of that paragraph is utter guff, Arts degrees are used in "progressive" IT companies to hire people ( outside of design, not really, not without other qualifications - try getting into Google). And by diversity you seem to again mean more women, because IT is diverse in this country. Irish people might well be a minority in many IT companies.

Anyway its clear your worldview is entirely corporate. In that world what matters is corporate strategies to get women in general ( and you in specific I suppose) to the "C-Suite". Theres a mixture here of corporatist jargon and victim feminism which is unappealing, and you don't really seem to know how the other half lives.

That was your first mistake Franz :pac: Entertaining numpties on Twitter is never likely to lead to a productive outcome for either party. Your post though did remind me of a post I wrote a couple of years back now, and I actually refer to the Athena SWAN program that eddy is referring to in his opening post (I can only wish you good luck with that one ed :D) -

The simplest answer to that is - it doesn't stop, and it'll never stop, because a lot of this identity politics stuff really doesn't apply in Ireland. It's more applicaple to the UK and the US, and it's being imported here to try and point out "systematic, problematic" issues where really there aren't any. From the Athena SWAN FAQ -

"What do we mean by ‘intersectionality’?

By intersectionality we mean people’s identities and social positions being shaped by several factors at the same time, creating unique experiences and perspectives. These factors include among others, age, disability, gender, race, religion and sexuality.

For example, the experiences of, and outcomes within, higher education will be very different for a Black woman compared to a white woman. In practice, intersectionality is less about bringing two different factors together, eg older people and disabled people; and more about considering the experience of older disabled people, people at the ‘intersection’ of older age and disability."

The above sort of tokenism reminds me of a conference I was at last year regarding the future of education in Ireland, and one of the speakers was from the UK, and she was giving it welly about the lack of women and BME at third level, which was definitely more relevant in a UK context. It's as though she hadn't even thought of her audience and tailored her presentation accordingly, when the room was filled with Casper white Irish women and only a handful of men.

Now granted it was a teacher training college so I didn't expect much variance in the audience, but that didn't stop this woman going on to talk about how there weren't enough women in STEM, and how it was mostly socially awkward men (I'd lost the will to listen at this stage), before she moved on to the topic of 'unconscious bias', without so much as stopping for a breather to spot the irony.

That was your first mistake Franz :pac: Entertaining numpties on Twitter is never likely to lead to a productive outcome for either party. Your post though did remind me of a post I wrote a couple of years back now, and I actually refer to the Athena SWAN program that eddy is referring to in his opening post (I can only wish you good luck with that one ed :D) -

Yes

People who whine about intersectionality use is to promote their own agenda. Class dominates most other things. Being born rich is better than being born poor, being born middle class is better than being born working class. All the statistics show this. The wage gap between men and women is not anywhere significant as that between the rich and poor or even middle class and poor. In this country its 13%.

Life chances of upper middle and middle class women are far better than working class men. Some parts of Dublin (6w) send 100% of people to university, in other parts its < 20%.

I once in fact did an intersectionality test where I ended more privileged than the Queen. Class wasn't mentioned. She and I had cis privilege, straight privilege, "white" privilege, and some others but I gained on her with my male privilege.

Yes

People who whine about intersectionality use is to promote their own agenda. Class dominates most other things. Being born rich is better than being born poor, being born middle class is better than being born working class. All the statistics show this. The wage gap between men and women is not anywhere significant as that between the rich and poor or even middle class and poor. In this country its 13%.

Life chances of upper middle and middle class women are far better than working class men. Some parts of Dublin (6w) send 100% of people to university, in other parts its < 20%.

I once in fact did an intersectionality test where I ended more privileged than the Queen. Class wasn't mentioned. She and I had cis privilege, straight privilege, "white" privilege, and some others but I gained on her with my male privilege.

I understand completely what you're saying. I can only reassure that at least in England, class and schooling is something that's being recognised as more important than gender in terms of opportunity.

Actually one of the things being used against doing anything about class is the recent series of research articles that state students do better at university such as the one here. To me that just ridicules the private school intelligence link, not invalidates the need for action to provide equality of opportunity for different classes.

Most teaching is done by tenured teachers. So the argument that teaching isn't a middle class salary is nonsense. And what bigotry the part on bold is regarding the male teachers ( as well as the claim that the pay is peanuts again).

Well of course most teaching is done by tenured teachers, I already pointed out that newly qualified teachers can’t get permanent positions in schools and are effectively working part-time. I didn’t argue that teaching wasn’t a middle class salary, I asked specifically could we agree that €55k is a middle class salary? I accept that it’s possible we could differ on what we regard as peanuts, but for the work they are actually expected to do, I personally would expect a lot more than €55k to do it. You’re also ignoring the fact that many teachers will be expected to put in hours of unpaid work in the form of extra-curricular activities, which is another reason why men are more in demand nowadays than women - the need for children to do physical activities such as getting involved in sports and so on.

On, and your mother is living on a pension which is 2-3 times the state pension. Which is what most people get. So she not only earned more during her life, but she gets a better pension than most private sector workers.

I wouldn’t hazard to guess how true that actually is, but it doesn’t negate my point that she is hardly living what I would call the high life on her Government pension.

Women who get to the top are as schemeful as the men.

You accuse me of bigotry, and then go on to imply that not only are men in prominent positions schemeful, but women are too? Again, I’ve yet to meet a schemer at the top who got there solely as a result of scheming, but in my experience, schemers regardless of their gender, generally don’t rise above bottom-feeder level. They’re generally the type of person who will accuse men at the top of scheming their way there, and women at the top of sleeping their way to the top, as opposed to recognising the work they put in to get where they are, that that person isn’t willing to put in, and then claim they could have been a contender.

Thats a move to fantasy. An, no the posh males on the boardrooms don't act as a role model for working class people. Never did. Somebody on the streets of inner Dublin or Detroit don't aspire to being corporate CEOs, unless they can do via rap or music or sports. A la Dr Dre or Connor McGreggor. Listen to the accents where you work.

That’s simply not true Franz. I can think of numerous CEO’s who’s accents are associated with inner city socioeconomically deprived areas. They come from working class backgrounds and they often remind anyone who cares to listen of this fact. I’m not talking about “I sold penny apples with me maaaa” Bill Cullen types, they’re generally spoofers, “looking for warriars” me hole, I’m talking about people who are biased against spud munchers like myself who didn’t grow up in the inner city but rather grew up in the arse hole of nowhere and in a way I’m glad I was never exposed to role models like Conor McGregor and Dr. Dre who have no regard for the responsibility they have as role models for young men. I wouldn’t want my own son to turn out anything like Conor McGregor, and I live smack bang in the middle of the inner city so I see exactly the type of behaviour he inspires in young people - behave like a scumbag, and you’ll earn a reputation for yourself as a scumbag. No amount of money will ever buy class, and Conor McGregor is proof of that if ever proof was needed.

You live in a fantasy world. In that world class doesn't exist and the only thing that needs to be fixed now, is gender imbalances. That bold part is unbelievable.

I live in the same world as you live in where of course class exists, but it’s not as influential a factor in children’s outcomes as adults as their sex. Social mobility dictates that people can move from the lower socioeconomic classes to the upper socioeconomic classes, but what they can never change is their sex, and that will have different impacts both positive and negative on their lives as they move up the social ladder. The fact that many Irish CEOs are men who come from socioeconomically deprived backgrounds is a testament to the fact that socioeconomic class isn’t so much a barrier to children’s outcomes as adults, as their sex.

A good case in point being I met a woman out the other night and I didn’t recognise her at first, she recognised me (in spite of the fact I was no longer in possession of a six pack, but have gained a few kilos in the intervening 20 years, and she had lost a few kilos :D). We had both been at the same level in a company where we both worked 20 years previously, and I had progressed much further in my career than she had in hers. The key differentiator between us? She was a single parent at the time, whereas I was not, I had the support to be able to get the promotions I got due to the fact that my wife had chosen to stay at home and raise our child, and now my wife too has chosen to focus on gaining a third level qualification in an area of employment she is interested in, that could prove to be quite lucrative if it works out for her.

I don’t see what’s unbelievable about suggesting that the days of breaking people’s balls and offering them meagre rewards for their labour are fast becoming a thing of the past. They are! In Western society we are becoming more well educated, and people who previously wouldn’t have had access to education, let alone higher education, are now able to avail of opportunities that weren’t available to them before. This increases their expectations of their value to potential employers, and employers are beginning to recognise that in order to attract top talent - they need to offer top renumeration packages, or better than their competitors anyway at least.

I don’t expect Government will recognise that reality any time soon though, as long as we still elect scheming nest featherers who are more interested in looking after themselves and their own, and so we will inevitably have to put up with the introduction of programs like the Athena SWAN program which for all intents and purposes are nothing more than a vehicle to keep a small number of people in some very well paying jobs. In reality they will do little to nothing to address the issues they claim to want to address, and as has been pointed out already by eddy - the program is hardly even out of the starting blocks before they’re arguing like children over who should be leader, each one seeing themselves as the bigger victim of some perceived social injustice. It’s all academic anyway, thankfully :pac:

The 99% of people who don't have a chance of becoming part of the C-Suite ( what a bollocks term by the way) don't care. ( Had to laugh at going forward, too. The ultimate is corporate bollocksology).

They clearly do care though, as demonstrated by the fact that we’re even having this conversation, never mind the fact that the boardroom is no longer perceived to be the preserve of stuffy starched collar types, but we have the likes of CEOs like Mark Zuckerberg, Jack Dorsey, Elon Musk, Larry Page and Sergey Brin - hipster types who generally give me a pain in my face, but there’s no denying their appeal to millennials.

In fairness to the use of terms like C-suite’ and ‘going forward’ in that article - generally in Ireland anyone using the terms should be taken out back and shot with balls of their own shìte, but the article is about 10 years old and sourced from the US, did you really expect that there wouldn’t be cultural differences in the language used? That kind of language appeals to a small minority of people, most people would be unlikely to use the terms outside of the boardroom.

Why would computer science degrees begin and and with being a "code monkey". Why wouldn't people with science degrees become the CEOs or Managers? Shouldn't they, in fact do that? Haven't they in most of the most successful companies done that? Most of the rest of that paragraph is utter guff, Arts degrees are used in "progressive" IT companies to hire people ( outside of design, not really, not without other qualifications - try getting into Google). And by diversity you seem to again mean more women, because IT is diverse in this country. Irish people might well be a minority in many IT companies.

People with computer science degrees alone, generally do begin and end as code monkeys. In order to become CEOs, they have to have a lot more to offer than simply a degree in computer science. I also didn’t say that Arts degrees are used to hire people, I said it may well be a persons Arts degree makes them an invaluable asset to a progressive company operating in a modern economy where it’s not just what you know, but it’s whether or not you fit in with the company culture. James Damore no longer fitted in with the company culture at Google, and found that out when he decided to pull a Jerry Maguire and made himself a liability as opposed to an valuable asset :pac:

Software engineers are generally easily replaceable, software engineers who fit with the company culture on the other hand, are an invaluable asset, including software engineers from India who generally work for peanuts compared to their American counterparts. Just ask anyone who works at Disney :D

Lawsuits Claim Disney Colluded to Replace U.S. Workers With Immigrants

We’re not even close to being at that level in Ireland yet where Irish people are a minority in IT, in fact we’re punching well above our weight in that regard with the number of indigenous Irish people employed in Irish IT HPSUs -

High Potential Start-ups (HPSUs) - Do I qualify?

Anyway its clear your worldview is entirely corporate. In that world what matters is corporate strategies to get women in general ( and you in specific I suppose) to the "C-Suite". Theres a mixture here of corporatist jargon and victim feminism which is unappealing, and you don't really seem to know how the other half lives.

Not at all Franz, my world view is just that though - global, as we are now playing in a global economy. In that world what matters is strategies to diversify and increase profitability and sustainable growth, and part of that is of course recognising and acknowledging how the other half lives, as opposed to a formerly insular world view which was dominated by men who imagined they would always be entitled to a job for life solely by virtue of their sex, and are now finding out that such an insular world view is simply neither sustainable nor particularly profitable in the long term. That’s exactly why corporates have had to change their attitudes towards the other half - because they’re beginning to recognise the influence the other half has, ironically in part thanks to their own inventions like social media which made the global economy a whole lot smaller and does away with many of the physical barriers to employment allowing for the creation of new opportunities which didn’t exist before, like competing for market domination in IT in industrialised fast growing economies like India -

India, home of the world's fastest-growing economy, is quickly becoming one of the globe's greatest technology hubs.

That is partially thanks to the country's abundance of highly skilled technical graduates, whose numbers are growing at a rate of 7 percent per year, according to the latest study from India's ministry of commerce and industry.

It is also credit to India's thriving start-up scene, which is ranked third in the world, accounting for 4,750 businesses.

However, this means competition can be fierce and choosing the right place to work is all the more important. Based on reviews from current or former employees, U.S. employment search engine company Indeed has ranked the top technology companies to work for in India.

"The companies featured on our Best Places to Work — Tech Companies in India list are not only industry leaders, but also firms known for valuing their employees and offering them great opportunities for career progression," said Sashi Kumar, managing director of Indeed India.

He added that they also placed a strong emphasis on leadership programs and company culture.

"Companies that can attract the best talent across sectors are able to create and maintain a strong sense of community and provide capable mentorship. This is especially true of technology firms which strive to create a productive environment for their employees, ensuring optimum levels of job satisfaction," he said.

These are the top 10 tech companies to work for in India

It certainly puts your complainants about the employment prospects for your token inner city white boy in Ireland and accusing me of not knowing how the other half lives, in perspective.

• Advertisement

One eyed jack.

Most of that reply was wrong or irrelevant. I find that your way of arguing by multi quotes causes a response by multi quotes which you then multi quote. The difference is you reply with increasingly larger walls of text , paragraphs that are much larger than the reply to you. That doesn’t scale. If I were to reply to that the reply would be, by necessity, much longer than I’d like and your response would be boook length. So I’m out.

Advertisement