Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Present Wishlist

• 30-11-2018 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭

So what's on your Christmas Present Wishlist this year?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

A sub-20 5k!

(more easily purchasable - I'd wish for physio vouchers and a new pair of racing shoes)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

A new watch ideally Garmin and new trail runners :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

My wish is for the return of several discontinued shoes, particularly the Brooks Green Silence, Brooks Wire 2 spikes, and the Asics Piranha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

I want a micro pig. I think they are very cute and supposedly make great pets. Ill name him Zatopig.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

New Balance 880v8 WE in Grey, a new pile of running socks and DCM entry :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Sacksian wrote: »
    My wish is for the return of several discontinued shoes, particularly the Brooks Green Silence, Brooks Wire 2 spikes, and the Asics Piranha.

Brooks seem to have a habit of tinkering with great shoes. Would sell my little pinky for a pair of T5s myself
    ultrapercy wrote: »
    I want a micro pig. I think they are very cute and supposedly make great pets. Ill name him Zatopig.

This made my day

This Christmas I want a lie in, hoping the little guy will get this for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

A return to fitness for TbL, miss the humour on his log.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Would sell my little pinky for a pair of T5s myself

Have you tried the Hyperions?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Have you tried the Hyperions?

Currently wear them for everything from 10 mile up, not a patch on their predecessors, to be fair I was not even mad on the differences between the T5 and T7 (got over 3000 miles out of my T5s so never needed to go near the T6s)

Currently wear them for everything from 10 mile up, not a patch on their predecessors, to be fair I was not even mad on the differences between the T5 and T7 (got over 3000 miles out of my T5s so never needed to go near the T6s)

You need the run fast pro for < 10 miles

• Advertisement

You need the run fast pro for < 10 miles

Love the weigh they advertise it as the lightest flat on the market

I beg to differ............

https://www.saucony.com/en/endorphin-racer/15055M.html

http://gph.is/28YbL6R

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I find the Asteria better than the hyperion. Very like the T5.
    Have noticed brooks prices going up and up though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

I'd like a training diary - i'm a strange breed that likes writing things down (or else i'm just showing my age :pac:).

And i'd like a reflective top/belt or something along those lines. I don't like the RSA hi-vis bibs but the tiny strips on any of my running gear i have are insufficient for the country roads i run on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

ariana` wrote: »
    I'd like a training diary - i'm a strange breed that likes writing things down (or else i'm just showing my age :pac:).

And i'd like a reflective top/belt or something along those lines. I don't like the RSA hi-vis bibs but the tiny strips on any of my running gear i have are insufficient for the country roads i run on.

Santa could go to Lidl and buy the very neat but very bright LED wrist bands they have for a fiver (two in a box, lots of colour choice). I wore mine running in this morning and they'll be brilliant on the bike too - must go back & get more!

Love the weigh they advertise it as the lightest flat on the market

I beg to differ............

https://www.saucony.com/en/endorphin-racer/15055M.html

http://gph.is/28YbL6R

Having tried both, 1) the run fast pro is lighter and 2) it's a far superior shoe

I find the Asteria better than the hyperion. Very like the T5.
    Have noticed brooks prices going up and up though :(

Got to be quick, my last 2 pairs of Hyperions have cost me a total of £75

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Got to be quick, my last 2 pairs of Hyperions have cost me a total of £75

My last pair of hyperions were free :)

Got the Brooks Launch 5 for 50 sterling on start fitness, size 12 all gone now!!

Santa could go to Lidl and buy the very neat but very bright LED wrist bands they have for a fiver (two in a box, lots of colour choice). I wore mine running in this morning and they'll be brilliant on the bike too - must go back & get more!

Thanks - i'll have to tell Santa ;)

I LOVE training diaries. I've been logging my runs since I started running, so I have eight years of diaries so far ...

This is my absolute favourite, I'm on my fourth and have a new one lined up for next year. I know you could just use a notebook or a free Athletics Ireland one, but these are so pretty, nice amount of space for writing in your runs, and they have things I love like 'This Week's Focus' at the start of every week, 'How I'm doing' pages every month, essays on various aspects of running, pace charts, race plans ... I think you'd love it, and they ship to Ireland.

I think they sell the in Avoca too.

I'm not connected with the company, I just really love them:

https://www.believeiam.com/

Brooks seem to have a habit of tinkering with great shoes. Would sell my little pinky for a pair of T5s myself

I moved to New Balance v1400 when I couldn't get T5s, and I love them. I don't do my long runs in them, but I've raced up to 10 miles in them and I find they feel light but still seem to have some cushion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I LOVE training diaries. I've been logging my runs since I started running, so I have eight years of diaries so far ...

This is my absolute favourite, I'm on my fourth and have a new one lined up for next year. I know you could just use a notebook or a free Athletics Ireland one, but these are so pretty, nice amount of space for writing in your runs, and they have things I love like 'This Week's Focus' at the start of every week, 'How I'm doing' pages every month, essays on various aspects of running, pace charts, race plans ... I think you'd love it, and they ship to Ireland.

This is great thanks, I've had hand written diaries since I first ran in 2007 always on a notebook or pad. Maybe Time I drop a hint to Mrs Santy for a fancy journal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Hi E;

Great idea on the diary.

Have a look at the ProViz range got one of these.

https://www.provizsports.com/en-gb/reflect360-running-x-vest.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I'd like a training diary - i'm a strange breed that likes writing things down (or else i'm just showing my age :pac:). .

Bullet journaling is all the rage...electronic diaries are so 2015 ;)

HelenAnne wrote: »

Hi E;

Great idea on the diary.

Have a look at the ProViz range got one of these.

https://www.provizsports.com/en-gb/reflect360-running-x-vest.html

Thank you both - i will look those recommendations up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I get this diary every year https://www.bookdepository.com/Runner-s-World-Training-Journal/9781609618544

I like it, but am open to other recommendations too

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Lombardo123

I think I will have to buy a present to myself.. Heart rate monitor.

Aiming to build my mileage up this year with a view to doing DCM (Committed nice and early by buying an entry!).

Currently have a forerunner 235..any suitable straps as a gift to me.. From me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I think I will have to buy a present to myself.. Heart rate monitor.

Aiming to build my mileage up this year with a view to doing DCM (Committed nice and early by buying an entry!).

Currently have a forerunner 235..any suitable straps as a gift to me.. From me.

The Garmin megathread would be a good place to look or ask.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055987516

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

My little pressie to myself just dropped through the letterbox

'An Accidental Athlete' by John Bingham
    Known by fans as "The Penguin" for his back-of-the-pack speed, John Bingham is the unlikely hero of the modern running boom. In his new book, the best-selling author and magazine columnist recalls his childhood dreams of athletic glory, sedentary years of unhealthy excess, and a life-changing transformation from couch potato to "adult-onset athlete."

Overweight, uninspired, and saddled with a pack-and-a-half-a-day smoking habit, Bingham found himself firmly wedged into a middle-age slump. Then two frightening trips to the emergency room and a conversation with a happy piano tuner led him to discover running--and changed his life for the better.

Inspiring, poignant, hilarious, and heartbreaking, An Accidental Athlete is a warm and engaging book for the everyday athlete. Bingham tells stories of the joys of running--the pride of the finisher's medal, a bureau-busting t-shirt collection, intense back-of-the-pack strategizing. An Accidental Athlete is about one man's discovery that middle age was not the finish line after all, but only the beginning.

Looking forward to turning the pages on this shortly :D

Advertisement