Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Outer Worlds - Obsidian RPG

Options
  • 29-11-2018 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

Obsidian has a new RPG coming, and it will make its worldwide debut at The Game Awards next week. While Obsidian is now under the Microsoft umbrella, this game is part of an existing with Take-Two’s Private Division label. Details on the game are scant, but it will be a new IP from two of the people who brought the original Fallout to life.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/new-obsidian-fallout

https://www.obsidian.net/

ohhhhhhhh:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Tell me what setting it's set in pl0x !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Obsidian are always making RPGs, why are we to get hyped about this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,316 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

judging by the pop ups 30's era Sci-fi?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Obsidian are always making RPGs, why are we to get hyped about this one?

Because they're generally pretty excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Skerries wrote: »
    judging by the pop ups 30's era Sci-fi?

*Reserves 'Flesh Gordon' character name just in case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

That quote is very confusing. Is it there first game for Microsoft or a Take Two game?
    Part of an existing what??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

ERG89 wrote: »
    That quote is very confusing. Is it there first game for Microsoft or a Take Two game?
    Part of an existing what??

label i think - though it struck me as a new IP, unless it's bioshock related.. OOhh is it Bioshock related?

isometric bioshock RPG would be awesome!

(edit: yeah it's a new ip.. damn, still happy to hear this news though, Cain and Boyarsky RPG yay :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

This is why I hate the segregation of the forums :/

Their RPGs are usually decent add in the original Fallout devs and it might be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

well feck i clearly miss read that i thought it said a new obsidian/bethesda fallout :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I was reading that it may be inspired by Fallout, though that could have been wishful thinking by whoever said it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,367 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Unless it's Alpha Protocol 2 (which it's not!!) then, meh!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

*Reserves 'Flesh Gordon' character name just in case

Hmm, might resemble Fallout'a 60s theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 29,502 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

This actually looks very interesting, definitely looking forward to hearing more. Any chance the thread title can be updated?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,270 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah it's a great trailer. My only worry would be that since Obsidian are now an MS studio, would DLC/sequels be Xbox exclusive?

Cant see the trailer is is 1st or 3rd person?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Cant see the trailer is is 1st or 3rd person?
    1st person.

The first thing coming to my mind looking at it is honestly Borderlands series; same graphical style with the vendor machines etc and similar background story on the large companies expansion out into the wild etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,270 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Nody wrote: »
    1st person.

The first thing coming to my mind looking at it is honestly Borderlands series; same graphical style with the vendor machines etc and similar background story on the large companies expansion out into the wild etc.

Yeah from what I've seen others say it seems to be a mix between Borderlands and Fallout New Vegas.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah it's a great trailer. My only worry would be that since Obsidian are now an MS studio, would DLC/sequels be Xbox exclusive?

I doubt it,timed exclusive maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I doubt it,timed exclusive maybe.
    Hard to tell really. It's worth noting that, to date, no title developed by a Microsoft owned studio has been released on a Sony platform. Things may change with these new acquisitions of course but, outside of Minecraft coming to the Switch, which could be argued is a special case given the fact it's already on every other platform known to man, it's a bit too early to tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I am very interested in this game.

I am inserting money into my computer device right now for this game.

Great to see it's multiplatform, I thought Microsoft's acquisition would've limited the game to XBone/Steam. MS are adapting well to the Good Cop role.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Great to see it's multiplatform, I thought Microsoft's acquisition would've limited the game to XBone/Steam. MS are adapting well to the Good Cop role.
    You're definitely not the only one who thought that but alas, not quite. :)

The Outer Worlds isn’t a Microsoft game, even though it’s buying Obsidian

It was the first I'd heard of Private Division too, but evidently Game Informer did a piece on them this time last year and they already have some really interesting games signed up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Gameplay footage here. Looks great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Really excited about this one, New Vegas was a knock-out, can't believe they chose the dumpster fire that is Fallout 76 over a sure-fire hit like New Vegas 2.

Will give it a few weeks or a month most likely to see how it pans out and see any major bugs addressed (New Vegas was god awful on release), but would definitely have this right at the top of my most anticipated games list.

Really excited about this one, New Vegas was a knock-out, can't believe they chose the dumpster fire that is Fallout 76 over a sure-fire hit like New Vegas 2.

Will give it a few weeks or a month most likely to see how it pans out and see any major bugs addressed (New Vegas was god awful on release), but would definitely have this right at the top of my most anticipated games list.

It looks like the Unreal engine, so thats a good thing.

edit: it is Unreal engine 4

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Definitely looks like the love-child of Fallout and Borderlands, right down to the self-aware humour.

Sounds like the game won't be as vast and sprawling as any Bethesda open-world game, which is fine with me. Smaller areas means a more curated, refined experience.

Epic Store exclusive.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Disappointing, but not surprising.

Edit: I see they've got the new Remedy game, Control, as an an exclusive as well.

Advertisement