Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord being difficult- considering rtb adjudication

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭The Student

Brbiyer wrote: »
    Just to clear a few assumptions people have made

1. I have always requested nicely, you know...please, thank-you , I have 2 young children...you can understand...etc
    It has only resulted in my requests being ignored for 2or more weeks
    2. Texts are the landlords preferred method of communication- not an easy person to reach by phone or set up a meeting with
    3. At the start, she also indicated that any repairs and maintenance will need to be notified to her and not taken upon ourselves
    4. I know that the external lights are debatable- in my mind they were essential. Having never lived in a rural area before I hadn't factored the external light situation.
    5. Yes it is the hard water affecting the showers- I have gone through many bottles of vinegar since we moved here

I amazed by this whole attitude towards tenants- shut up and put tup!!! This house was not given to us freely on good will. I pay rent-more than the market price mind you. I suppose we had been living in our own house for over 10 years andI really had forgotten the experience of living in a rental.
    On the other side of the coin- we have rented our our house. I would be very aware of another family having to struggle to find suitable accommodation before i serve them a notice. Having a safe and warm place to live is a basic need. If you cant see that why be a ll? Clearly repairing and maintaining a house on a regular basis is much more economical than waiting to see the place fall apart- basic common sense really
    Someone so easily - you moved once and you can move again. Ours was a long thought out and considered move- on the basis that we are staying long term (when we were looking at this house to rent, the ll clearly said she is looking for long term tenants). Moving children on a regular basis is not a great idea. The last few weeks they have been anxious about this whole thing and its showing indifferent ways.

You need to accept that at its most basic level this is a business transaction pure and simple. I appreciate you don't see it that way due to the stress caused in moving your children etc.

Perhaps you need to review your situation. You mentioned that you had a property rented out. (I did not read all of the posts so don't know your financial position on it). Maybe you should consider selling this property and purchasing a property similar to the one you are renting to meet your needs regarding location/size etc.

At the moment it is a landlords market (to a certain extent). The property sector is broken and we are all suffering because of it. The Govt are not fulfilling their role in the sector on a number of fronts, building social housing, enforcing legislation to deal with unruly tenants, allowing competition in the banking sector.

By the way I am a landlord and see it from both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Brbiyer wrote: »
    Just to clear a few assumptions people have made

1. I have always requested nicely, you know...please, thank-you , I have 2 young children...you can understand...etc
    It has only resulted in my requests being ignored for 2or more weeks
    2. Texts are the landlords preferred method of communication- not an easy person to reach by phone or set up a meeting with
    3. At the start, she also indicated that any repairs and maintenance will need to be notified to her and not taken upon ourselves
    4. I know that the external lights are debatable- in my mind they were essential. Having never lived in a rural area before I hadn't factored the external light situation.
    5. Yes it is the hard water affecting the showers- I have gone through many bottles of vinegar since we moved here

I amazed by this whole attitude towards tenants- shut up and put tup!!! This house was not given to us freely on good will. I pay rent-more than the market price mind you. I suppose we had been living in our own house for over 10 years andI really had forgotten the experience of living in a rental.
    On the other side of the coin- we have rented our our house. I would be very aware of another family having to struggle to find suitable accommodation before i serve them a notice. Having a safe and warm place to live is a basic need. If you cant see that why be a ll? Clearly repairing and maintaining a house on a regular basis is much more economical than waiting to see the place fall apart- basic common sense really
    Someone so easily - you moved once and you can move again. Ours was a long thought out and considered move- on the basis that we are staying long term (when we were looking at this house to rent, the ll clearly said she is looking for long term tenants). Moving children on a regular basis is not a great idea. The last few weeks they have been anxious about this whole thing and its showing indifferent ways.

OP dont get me wrong. Not being able to have a shower is a basic requirement and is meant to be fixed within a week of notice. If it is dragging on for much longer after that without any effort from the ll. This is the ll fault.

I think we got side tracked for the light issue and are making it bigger than it really is so don’t worry about it.

I have never had issues with hard water so don’t know much about it, is there any permant fixes that can be implemented.

I wouldn’t take any of it personally. It’s your home I know but at the end of the day, the ll isn’t your friend so I would think about purely as a business transaction, nothing else. It’s the same for tenants. You might be good to tenants for a while until the bite you in the face for something small so it’s best to be objective in this and not let your emotions get the best of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

At the moment, Landlords are in the driving seat. This hasn't always been the case and will change again down the line.
    Tenants need to protect the roof over their head. Protect themselves from eviction and from poor references.
    Once tenants get a roof over their head they should do everything to make the landlord's life as easy as possible.
    This may not be fair - but at the moment it is necessary as the alternative is not worth the hassle.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Several posts deleted.

Any more sweeping generalisations about landlords or tenants will not end well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Fol20 wrote: »
    I beg to disagree, if anything it should go the other way, Why do ll need to provide a microwave sure? The food a microwave cooks with isnt healthy in any way. I would prefer if we used the american/eu model where the ll provides nothing and the tenant needs to get their own washing machine,couch,bed etc. The tenant can paint the walls whatever they want, put stuff on walls etc as long as they bring it back to the original state when they leave. This allows tenants feel more at home, have more control over their house yet at the same time, stops ll from being pestered for small stuff and they are no longer required to provide crap they would prefer not to buy. More often than not it would guarantee longer tenusre as tenants will move less due to extra costs of moving yet at the same time, turnover costs are less for ll. I think its a win win for both sides, but i doubt it will ever happen in my time.

:confused: What? Reheating a healthy meal in a microwave renders it unhealthy? Food actually cooked in a microwave will be less palatable but no less healthy.

On the outdoor lights issue, I’m surprised that, as a rural house, it doesn’t already have an outside light fixture. Grewing up rurally myself, good outdoor lights were considered to be very important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OP dont get me wrong. Not being able to have a shower is a basic requirement and is meant to be fixed within a week of notice. If it is dragging on for much longer after that without any effort from the ll. This is the ll fault.

I think we got side tracked for the light issue and are making it bigger than it really is so don’t worry about it.

I have never had issues with hard water so don’t know much about it, is there any permant fixes that can be implemented.

I wouldn’t take any of it personally. It’s your home I know but at the end of the day, the ll isn’t your friend so I would think about purely as a business transaction, nothing else. It’s the same for tenants. You might be good to tenants for a while until the bite you in the face for something small so it’s best to be objective in this and not let your emotions get the best of you.

re hard water. Yes it can damage a shower, a central heating boiler etc
    One house I rented he had had a well dug but not fitted water softener facility. The water actually also stank of sulphur.
    He had to replace the boiler, and I gave up trying to get the shower to work.
    Environmental health were there once checking the water after a neighbour dumped slurry near the well and he said it had t be brought up to standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

re hard water. Yes it can damage a shower, a central heating boiler etc
    One house I rented he had had a well dug but not fitted water softener facility. The water actually also stank of sulphur.
    He had to replace the boiler, and I gave up trying to get the shower to work.
    Environmental health were there once checking the water after a neighbour dumped slurry near the well and he said it had t be brought up to standard.

At a previous rental with a private well in a hard water area, we added water softenr to the well head every week,

Advertisement