Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aviation oxygen

Options
  • 27-11-2018 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I have a 9 litre Drager composite oxygen cylinder that requires filling. Despite it being brand new and unused, it was manufactured in 2012 so will require hydrostatic pressure testing prior to filling. Does anyone know of a company that could carry out this work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

BOC gases should be able to help you out. They provide aviation oxygen, they might be able to advise you where you can get the cylinder tested.

Have you a CMM for it?
    There might be further requirements if it's been left empty for so long.

You could also try contacting an MRO like Dublin Aerospace to see if they have the capability but it might be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Av8or

I have an account with BOC so will try them (I also have an account with Air Products, but they were unable to help, so I didn't try BOC!)

Any of the MROs should be able to assist you. If they don't have the capability themselves they'd have a number of companies they could send them to.
    They'd have to be able to come up with a plan if any of their customers had those cylinders, they might be able to suggest a number of options.
    Do you have the CMM for it...?

I don't have a CMM for it. It's a 300 bar nominal 9 litre spun composite cylinder with M18 x 1.5 screw fitting.

It connects to a Summit Oxygen Pulse Demand regulator system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Any scuba diving place should be able to point you in the right direction

You'll need the CMM if you want to get it recertified for aircraft use, otherwise you'll have to find a repair agency with the capability and approval for that cylinder if you need a Form 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jucylucy

TEAM Accessories Ltd,Ballyboughal may be able to help you or point you in the right direction.

It's not for a fixed installation, so I do not need a Form 1
    You'll need the CMM if you want to get it recertified for aircraft use, otherwise you'll have to find a repair agency with the capability and approval for that cylinder if you need a Form 1.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Any scuba diving place should be able to point you in the right direction

Silly question time- is there any difference between 'aviation oxygen' and 'diving oxygen'?
    Difference pressures or varied ratio of inert gas if present?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Aviation oxygen is supposed to be near enough moisture free so that the piping and valves don't freeze at altitude.

Scuba tanks are simply using compressed air (which is approx 21% oxygen). The mix differs with Nitrox, Trimix etc but aviation oxygen is just that, pure oxygen.

Av8or wrote: »
    It's not for a fixed installation, so I do not need a Form 1

Is this some sort of a private category aircraft or personal therapeutic O2 cylinder..?

Normal transport category O2 bottles would have a form 1, they're hard time components with an ultimate service life, they need certification whether or not they're fixed or portable.

Private aircraft (hot air balloon) so Form 1 only required for fixed installations (which also excludes handheld radios etc)

Is this some sort of a private category aircraft or personal therapeutic O2 cylinder..?

Normal transport category O2 bottles would have a form 1, they're hard time components with an ultimate service life, they need certification whether or not they're fixed or portable.

Advertisement