Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Syrian boy bullied in Huddersfield

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭volchitsa

The point of a choke is to block the airway.

The point of waterboarding is that water gets into the airway.

You can't have it both ways. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    FFS I can hardly believe you think that's some sort of defence.

Apart from the complete lack of empathy it shows, it's not even technically correct.

What do you think happens when you've blocked someone's breathing with a chokehold and then lift your hand? Maybe they more or less involuntarily take a massive breath in, right? And what then happens if you or someone else pours water over their mouth at the same time?

Jeez. Someone said a cesspit above, and I thought that was a bit OTT - but then I read on and saw this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

If he that was an english lad getting bullied you wouldnt hear anything about this. Just saying.

WHAT IS THIS NOW THE F*CKING UN ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

volchitsa wrote: »
    FFS I can hardly believe you think that's some sort of defence.

Apart from the complete lack of empathy it shows, it's not even technically correct.

What do you think happens when you've blocked someone's breathing with a chokehold and then lift your hand? Maybe they more or less involuntarily take a massive breath in, right? And what then happens if you or someone else pours water over their mouth at the same time?

Jeez. Someone said a cesspit above, and I thought that was a bit OTT - but then I read on and saw this.

As i have said again, and I will repeat again.

It was not a defense of what happened, I was replying to someone who completely hysterically stated that the Syrian child was 'absolutely waterboarded'. The water/juice was poured on him for about 2/3 seconds.

The hysterical Helen Lovejoys in here are ridiculous. No wonder people don't take them seriously.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    You watched the news recently? Or are you implying that this kid is from the really nice, quiet, peaceful part of Syria that has never been under threat from any of the above?

You are either a vile and nasty scumbag or a complete ****ing moron. Possibly, and most likely, both.

Large parts of Syria were and are unscathed by the war. Again, do you know the kid or his circumstances personally??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Faugheen's racist count has turned back over to 0 ... jesus.
    Irony is he is the real racist as he sees this as much more serious, as the victim here is Syrian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

You know this kid and his back story personally??

do you? he fled from syria, so it is reasonable to assume he fled from the issues there.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

It was not a defense of what happened, I was replying to someone who completely hysterically stated that the Syrian child was 'absolutely waterboarded'. The water/juice was poured on him for about 2/3 seconds.
    Just wondering what you understand water boarding to mean?

Only you come across as someone - and there are plenty in politics and the US military - who would define all but the most dangerous forms of it as "enhanced interrogation techniques" or other euphemism.
    The hysterical Helen Lovejoys in here are ridiculous. No wonder people don't take them seriously.

Funny that you think that's the thing most worth giving out about here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i think it is you being hysterical tbh. you tried to claim that someone couldn't choke and waterboard someone. you were wrong, it is absolutely possible.
    Large parts of Syria were and are unscathed by the war. Again, do you know the kid or his circumstances personally??

Large parts of Syria were and are unscathed by the war according to who?
    TomSweeney wrote: »
    Irony is he is the real racist as he sees this as much more serious, as the victim here is Syrian.

does he? where did he say this?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

volchitsa wrote: »
    Just wondering what you understands water boarding to mean?
    You come across as someone who would define all but the most dangerous forms of it as "enhanced interrogation techniques" or other euphemism.

Funny that you think that's the thing most worth giving out about here.

an interrogation technique simulating the experience of drowning, in which a person is strapped head downwards on a sloping board or bench with the mouth and nose covered, while large quantities of water are poured over the face, pretty much covers it. Getting less water squirted into your face than you'd get in a water fight wouldn't cover it in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What was the fecking point of posting this thread other than to create conflict?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

TomSweeney wrote: »

No actually.

I see people using whataboutery of Muslims being scumbags to deflect attention away from the fact that a kid from a racist background tried to waterboard a Syrian refugee, just weeks after allegedly breaking his arm.

It’s a shocking story, but some people’s first thoughts are ‘oh but what about what these migrants are doing’.

What have those cases got to do with this one? F*ck all.

I also see those same people continuing to argue a toss with me over it, again to deflect attention away from the issue, instead of saying ‘you know what? Yeah what a wanker’.

That, to me, suggests a racial undertone in the posts made and I called it out.

You keep defending them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

looks like a young lad being treated like anyone else in the society - people get bullied for any and all reasons and this kid is not exempt, you might call it integration.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

You watched the news recently? Or are you implying that this kid is from the really nice, quiet, peaceful part of Syria that has never been under threat from any of the above?

You are either a vile and nasty scumbag or a complete ****ing moron. Possibly, and most likely, both.

And that's why he left his lovely unscathed home. To risk his life in the process. Cos he's from a place unscathed by that war. That makes perfect sense, doesn't it.? He wanted to milk tje British tax payers, eh..
    When are you off to the other side of the world for no reason, risking your safety in the process? You live somewhere unscathed by war, I take it. It's not like, you know, if he had a relative associated with rebels his family would be targeted by the regime now, is it? Or, conversely, having a relative associated with the regime would not make his family and target for rebel factions.

So which are you? Moron or Scumbag?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Faugheen wrote: »
    Just as I expected, people use the thread to post vile **** about Syrians or completely unrelated posts about times people from Arabic countries were scumbags as if it excuses what has happened to a boy who already has a broken arm.

What a bunch of dinosaurs some people on this toxic cesspit of a forum are.

Strange, I've been through this thread just now. I'll admit there's a fair bit of whataboutery, but I can't see anyone posting 'vile *** about Syrians' as you're claiming.

If this place is too toxic for you, you're not obliged to stay here you know.

hmmm faugheen, kinda sounds like Fintan, as in Fintan O'Toole airhead liberal crybaby of the Irish media. You're reacting as I'd imagine that snowflake would were he here. :D

looks like a young lad being treated like anyone else in the society - people get bullied for any and all reasons and this kid is not exempt, you might call it integration.
    Yeah, you know your embraced by the community when your being attacked.

so natives never attack natives?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Meanwhile in Ireland we have our own problem, African heritage school boys ganging up in Balbriggan robbing children on the street and threatening pregnant women and their unborn children with broken glass bottles... Wheres the gratitude after their parents were welcomed here and granted asylum? Fcking disgraceful!

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    Strange, I've been through this thread just now. I'll admit there's a fair bit of whataboutery, but I can't see anyone posting 'vile *** about Syrians' as you're claiming.

If this place is too toxic for you, you're not obliged to stay here you know.

hmmm faugheen, kinda sounds like Fintan, as in Fintan O'Toole airhead liberal crybaby of the Irish media. You're reacting as I'd imagine that snowflake would were he here. :D

That’s what you’re taking out of this thread?

Something completely unrelated and responding to me calling this place a toxic cesspit by comparing me to Fintan O’Toole?

Thanks for proving my point.

so natives never attack natives?
    Yeah they do. Are you ACTUALLY arguing that the fact this lad was assaulted is a positive sign? Go to see a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Faugheen wrote: »
    That’s what you’re taking out of this thread?

Something completely unrelated and responding to me calling this place a toxic cesspit by comparing me to Fintan O’Toole?

Thanks for proving my point.

Calm down dear, you're becoming hysterical. ;)

• Advertisement

Yeah they do. Are you ACTUALLY arguing that the fact this lad was assaulted is a positive sign? Go to see a doctor.
    not positive but shows he is not immune from the normal cruelty of day to day interpersonal interactions, hardly news/cashworthy

And that's why he left his lovely unscathed home. To risk his life in the process. Cos he's from a place unscathed by that war. That makes perfect sense, doesn't it.? He wanted to milk tje British tax payers, eh..
    When are you off to the other side of the world for no reason, risking your safety in the process? You live somewhere unscathed by war, I take it. It's not like, you know, if he had a relative associated with rebels his family would be targeted by the regime now, is it? Or, conversely, having a relative associated with the regime would not make his family and target for rebel factions.

Again, with the bolded part, do you know this kid and his circumstances personally?? Or just spit-balling nonsense??

You asked me earlier if I watched the news. You must have missed the numerous episodes about the hundreds of thousands of economic migrants trying to get to the honeypot of Europe for a better standard of living.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

What was the fecking point of posting this thread other than to create conflict?

Yeah versus all the conflict free threads we usually get from the same handful of toxic posters and their re-reg buddies

Faugheen wrote:
    the fact that a kid from a racist background tried to waterboard a Syrian refugee.

But you see, that didn't happen. And that's why people can't take you seriously.

Before you call me a racist or demand me to disavow bullying, I will gladly say that I condemn the actions in the video. Most if not all, people here do.

But we see no need to make this worse than it is by saying it is a "fact" that someone attempted to waterboard a child.

Completely different. It's like equating an unwanted bum squeeze to rape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

England in a nutshell in one short video.

Patww79 wrote:
    England in a nutshell in one short video.

I agree. The whole of England is so intolerant of Muslims/foreigners and judge them all on the actions of very few.

........ I'm sure you haven't missed the irony there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 217 ✭✭Cockford Ollie

It would be fairly handy to make a video like this, act out some event the SJWs could get outraged at to the point they donate to a Go Fund Me page.

Easy money.

an interrogation technique simulating the experience of drowning, in which a person is strapped head downwards on a sloping board or bench with the mouth and nose covered, while large quantities of water are poured over the face, pretty much covers it. Getting less water squirted into your face than you'd get in a water fight wouldn't cover it in my opinion.

Right, so as I suggested, you would indeed be a "This isn't torture, this is merely enhanced interrogation" kind of guy. :mad:

You realize that "waterboarding" doesn't actually need a board, right? It's merely a variant on forms of water torture that have existed for centuries. And even in its current guise, it doesn't require huge amounts of water : one bit you missed out is that a cloth is often put over the person's mouth and nose so that even small amounts of water block their breathing more effectively. Putting someone in a chokehold first could be another new and fun variation to increase the effect - after all, the old ones must get so boring after a while.

But no, you think it's "less water than you'd get in a water fight" :rolleyes:

This is a 15 year old kid FFS, whatever his nationality. But hey, the people who think it's shocking to any sort of variation on the theme of water torture to a kid are hysterical Helen Lovejoys (whoever that is) and it's just a bit of fun, like a water fight really.

That's how bullying and even abuse was allowed in the past, by hypothetically disapproving of it while systematically minimising it when it happened, and by calling those who don't want to go along with that narrative, "hysterical."

Oh and by the way, a couple of points from Wikipedia about waterboarding :
    Webster's Dictionary first included the term in 2009: "[A]n interrogation technique in which water is forced into a detainee's mouth and nose so as to induce the sensation of drowning."

Doesn't have to have a board.
    Technique

Waterboarding was characterized in 2005 by former CIA director Porter J. Goss as a "professional interrogation technique". According to press accounts, a cloth or plastic wrap is placed over or in the person's mouth, and water is poured onto the person's head. Press accounts differ on the details of this technique – one article describes "dripping water into a wet cloth over a suspect's face", while another states that "cellophane is wrapped over the prisoner's face and water is poured over him".

And this, I think, is relevant:
    Professor Darius Rejali of Reed College, author of Torture and Democracy (2007), speculates that the term waterboarding probably has its origin in the need for a euphemism.

"There is a special vocabulary for torture. When people use tortures that are old, they rename them and alter them a wee bit. They invent slightly new words to mask the similarities. This creates an inside club, especially important in work where secrecy matters. Waterboarding is clearly a jailhouse joke. It refers to surfboarding"– a word found as early as 1929– "they are attaching somebody to a board and helping them surf. Torturers create names that are funny to them."

The kid was subjected to a form of suffocation that would frighten an adult, never mind a 15 year old.

But hey, yeah, call it "less water than you'd get in a water fight" and go on siding with the bullies.

• Advertisement

Again, with the bolded part, do you know this kid and his circumstances personally?? Or just spit-balling nonsense??

You asked me earlier if I watched the news. You must have missed the numerous episodes about the hundreds of thousands of economic migrants trying to get to the honeypot of Europe for a better standard of living.
    This boy is NOT one of them. He is from Syria. So you are trying to shoehorn a seperate issue into a thread about a an attack on an injured boy from Syria. Why would you bring economic immigrants into this thread when it is not the topic of the thread? What have economic migrants got to do with a boy from Syria being bullied ? What possible reasons could you have for doing that, I wonder?
    Like I surmised earlier, you are either a nasty scumbag who's trying to **** stir for cynical reasons or one of the many thick as pig**** morons who can't see through the cynical manipulation of their own stupidity.

Advertisement