Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Midleton Very Rare 2017

• 03-10-2017 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭

It has arrived..

RRP: €180

10yi3qe.jpg

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Quite different!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The more they charge the better it sells!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The more they charge the better it sells!

Concept identified two centuries ago and is effectively the core business model of companies like LVMH

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good

The cheeky feckers put up the price of all the old stock too!

Did they, or are retailers just increasing it in line with the 2017 version?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭FlicFlak

The cheeky feckers put up the price of all the old stock too!

I wondered about this too. In my local Dunne's a 2016 bottle that was there for ages priced at 155 suddenly went up to 180 overnight!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

anyone know if this has hit the Duty free yet? Might pick up a bottle on my way out in a few weeks.

FlicFlak wrote: »
    I wondered about this too. In my local Dunne's a 2016 bottle that was there for ages priced at 155 suddenly went up to 180 overnight!!!

Yeah, my local Supervalu had it @ 180 for a few weeks now, others seem to be following suit.
    Smaller off licences will likely still have it at the correct price

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭sceach16

Midleton Very Rare
    mik_da_man wrote: »
    Yeah, my local Supervalu had it @ 180 for a few weeks now, others seem to be following suit.
    Smaller off licences will likely still have it at the correct price

Supervalu put it up in August when Irish Distillers put up the trade price. Celtic whiskey/L Mulligan/Mitchells soon followed. Dunnes held their 155 until last week. If U had vouchers (10 off 50), it cost an effective 125. Credit where credit is due! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭purple hands

Is this in stock anywhere yet?

• Advertisement

I see a few bars have it, I assume the distillery shop would have it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I think the official launch is next week

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

sceach16 wrote: »
    Midleton Very Rare

Supervalu put it up in August when Irish Distillers put up the trade price. Celtic whiskey/L Mulligan/Mitchells soon followed. Dunnes held their 155 until last week. If U had vouchers (10 off 50), it cost an effective 125. Credit where credit is due! :D
    Afraid not, its 10 off 50 or more, you can't split the bottle.

TheDriver wrote: »

I use three vouchers the rare times I have them and the rarer times I buy it. I can tell you it works !:P

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

TheDriver wrote: »

They accept multiple vouchers per transaction; from experience. Whether its within the rules or not I dunno but I have never been refused.

Spend 100 and you get 2x10 and you're definitely able to use those on a single 100 spend (and get 2x10 again). I get both Dunnes and Tesco giftcards from market research work and used this to great extent last year. Use 100 of cards, get 2x10. Go back within the week, use 100 of cards to get 120, get 2x10. Then use said 2x10 for 2 50 quid transactions in Tesco under the competitor scheme

That + general Christmas price promotions provided the whiskey for my birthday 5 weeks after Christmas :pac:

L1011 wrote: »
    They accept multiple vouchers per transaction; from experience. Whether its within the rules or not I dunno but I have never been refused.

Spend 100 and you get 2x10 and you're definitely able to use those on a single 100 spend (and get 2x10 again). I get both Dunnes and Tesco giftcards from market research work and used this to great extent last year. Use 100 of cards, get 2x10. Go back within the week, use 100 of cards to get 120, get 2x10. Then use said 2x10 for 2 50 quid transactions in Tesco under the competitor scheme

That + general Christmas price promotions provided the whiskey for my birthday 5 weeks after Christmas :pac:

shopandsave-landing-page3.jpg

small print states that multiple vouchers can be used once the minimum spend is met.
    So.. €180 for the first bottle , and you'll get €30 off the next bottle, and €30 off the next bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Did it today. Bottle was €175, used 3 vouchers.

CardinalJ wrote: »
    Did it today. Bottle was €175, used 3 vouchers.

Was this a 2017 (new box)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

sceach16 wrote: »
    Was this a 2017 (new box)?

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

I see on the celtic whiskey webstore that the 2017 bottle is now 225eur.

The 2018 bottle is 180eur.

Is this typical? Is buying a few bottles of Midleton Rare annually a good investment?

• Advertisement

Is this typical? Is buying a few bottles of Midleton Rare annually a good investment?

You will not be able to sell them for the retail asking price - it will take some years for a private sale or a sale via auction / to a reseller to make back the purchase price

Whiskey is quite common as part of a diversified investment portfolio, though. There are fashion trends in what "premium" whiskeys are popular and I suspect Midleton may be somewhere towards the end of its time near the top.

You will not be able to sell them for the retail asking price - it will take some years for a private sale or a sale via auction / to a reseller to make back the purchase price

Whiskey is quite common as part of a diversified investment portfolio, though. There are fashion trends in what "premium" whiskeys are popular and I suspect Midleton may be somewhere towards the end of its time near the top.

Thanks L1011,

It's something I'd maybe be interested in as a long term thing. Buy a few bottles a year, keep them in their boxes stored somewhere, sell down the line in the hopes of a decent profit but even if resold for original sale price it could be a good savings scheme.

Naive?

Thanks L1011,

It's something I'd maybe be interested in as a long term thing. Buy a few bottles a year, keep them in their boxes stored somewhere, sell down the line in the hopes of a decent profit but even if resold for original sale price it could be a good savings scheme.

Naive?

There are lots of MVR collections, it's not as rare as you think.
    With the exception of certain years.

If you're looking to make a quick buck, there are other whiskeys out there that can give a better return, but you'd have to have your ear you the ground.

Example, Dream Cask sold for €500, sold out in hours and quickly shot up to €2k in a few months.

Thanks L1011,

Naive?

Prize bonds are less risky (fire/theft/bottle damage) if you're looking for 0% with a chance of a gain.

And MVR, being year-released, is probably one of the most common bottles for someone to do this with. I do wonder how much of it ever gets drunk!

Prize bonds are less risky (fire/theft/bottle damage) if you're looking for 0% with a chance of a gain.

And MVR, being year-released, is probably one of the most common bottles for someone to do this with. I do wonder how much of it ever gets drunk!

Yes prize bonds are a safe bet..... But... Absolutely zero fun!

Would it be best stick with the standard MVR or go for the 250eur or so variants, eg, Barry Crockett, Dair Ghaelach, Single Pot etc

Personally I'd avoid normal MVR entirely. First releases from new distilleries are probably a better bet - but this is not investment advice etc etc etc.

Advertisement