Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,382 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Thanks everyone! :)

Coming here with a question for any ladies who might have experienced the same.

It looks like I'm having a bad day (week actually). I want chocolate. I want crisps. I want coke. I want jellies. I want meat. I want garlic bread. I want everything that's edible. The only thing that's stopping me is that I don't carry cash on me just in case I end up buying extra food.

Yesterday I was at my boyfriend's house. Not only I stopped in the shop on the way home and bought two giant chocolate eclairs, but I also ate half of a watermelon, was dying to steal some of my boyfriend's garlic bread and chicken. And while I was full, I still wanted more.

Whatever I ate tasted like the best thing ever. I nearly cried with joy when I had the garlic bread. I never had one that was so good - and it was a cheap one from Lidl! I had a bite of an eclair as well and it was divine. Everything is amazing.

I literally just finished lunch and I'm STARVING.

I'm due to get my period in 5 days so I'm wondering if that could be related. I always get peckish around my time of the month, but never like this. This is just ridiculous. I also wonder if that could mean that I'm pregnant - we've been trying for a baby for a while now.

Anybody experienced the same? I've been on a diet since mid-summer and was very good, I did have cravings, but I was able to shift focus on other things. This is the first time on this diet when I feel that I'm going to die if I don't eat something.

Thanks!

I can't speak to the time of the month aspect of things, but in relation to the cravings and stuff, all I can suggest is making sure you have some sweet things maybe as snacks or a once-a-week treat. Something to help satiate the craving, but still allowed for within your calories. My diet started in the summer and given how hot it was, I allowed myself a Magnum on Saturdays and Sundays. It still fit in my calorie limit for the day because I tend to eat less on weekends anyway if there's nothing particular on that weekend, and it helped me not feel like I was restricting myself too much by allowing myself to have an ice cream on a hot day.

I think if you allow yourself the odd treat, hopefully still in your calorie limit, it could help relieve the urge to splurge when you are faced with treats.

Either way, you're doing fantastic. Even after days like you described above, pick yourself up, put it behind you, and keep pushing forward. The cravings for stuff like that will reduce and subside in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I save 100 cals a day to have a treat sized bar of chocolate with my cup of tea every evening. I'd go insane without it. I'd recommend allowing a small amount of calories to have a little of what you love every day. It'll help keep you on the straight and narrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Just Back from 10 days on holiday and up 4lbs this morning. Back on the wagon this morning and hoping to see some of that gone by next week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

Just Back from 10 days on holiday and up 4lbs this morning. Back on the wagon this morning and hoping to see some of that gone by next week :)

Same - had an awful week and I kept eating, up by 5 lbs! We can do it though! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Bassfish

End of a long ass week that despite work stress I stayed on the clean eating wagon. Treating myself to a few bottles of Sol, all logged into MFP and still under my calories for the day :)

• Advertisement

2lb this week, which I'm more than happy with. Had a big family meal last Sunday and a few drinks. Also had a kids birthday party yesterday with more relations who hadn't seen me in a while who commented about how much weight I'd lost, so even though I'm not seeing huge changes in myself, others definitely are.

Have another good week, folks! Keep 'er lit!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Penn wrote: »
    2lb this week, which I'm more than happy with. Had a big family meal last Sunday and a few drinks. Also had a kids birthday party yesterday with more relations who hadn't seen me in a while who commented about how much weight I'd lost, so even though I'm not seeing huge changes in myself, others definitely are.

Have another good week, folks! Keep 'er lit!

The drop in your jeans alone is massive man, not easy to go down in jean size even when you’re losing weight. There’ll be nothing left if you soon

I have no motivation at the moment myself. There’s a new gym opening up near me soon. Think I’ll join that

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

L'prof wrote: »
    I have no motivation at the moment myself. There’s a new gym opening up near me soon. Think I’ll join that

Do a big shop man. Meal prep! Sort out three lunches or three dinners ahead of time, make eating healthy the lazy choice. Just so you're not taking too much on -- weight loss is 80% diet. Running a couple of KM is done in a matter of minutes eating a few biscuits. Just work on eating right and don't mind the gym!

As I mentioned last week, I kept eating and eating all week, couldn't stop myself, felt like I'm going to die if I don't eat anything RIGHT THIS SECOND. On Friday I ordered kebab with chips and a snack box, ate both in one sitting. On Saturday I impulsively ordered large taco chips and two deep friend chicken breasts, again, gone in seconds. Luckily I'm out of money, so now I have no choice but to stick with my box meals. I'm not even hungry anymore, thank god.

This morning I stepped on the scale to check the damage and it turns out I actually lost weight! Not much, just 2.5 lbs, but I'm delighted!

Total weight loss since summer: 38.5 lbs. Hoping to hit 3 stone within the next two weeks. YAY!

Hit 40 lbs this morning! That means that I’ve already lost 10% of the weight I was when I started! :D

• Advertisement

Hit 40 lbs this morning! That means that I’ve already lost 10% of the weight I was when I started! :D

Fantastic, Gwen. Delighted for you!

And to add to the good news this week, I just found out that after 5 months of trying I’m pregnant!

Diet will have to wait now :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

And to add to the good news this week, I just found out that after 5 months of trying I’m pregnant!

Congrats. Good luck

That's absolutely brilliant, Gwen! Congratulations!

3lb this week. Delighted with that as went almost double my calorie limit on one of the days due to a work-related lunch out. This next week should balance out okay hopefully as I've a big night out this weekend, but I'm off work all week and tend to eat less when I'm off so should offset the night out. Might move my weigh-in to Monday though.

I've spent probably €300 this month alone on new clothes, not just for work but also some going out clothes. I can shop & try on clothes in more shops now like Jack and Jones and the like, not just relying on getting stuff online and hoping their XXL is an actual XXL. I've also bought an exercise bike (won't be delivered until next week though). I haven't been getting as much walking in as I had been and my calorie limit is tightening (I revise it down every 10lbs), so the bike I think should get me through the winter.

Have a good week folks! Just don't trick yourself into having too many treats!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Sarah1991

Hi everyone, hope it's ok to join this thread!

I'm just at the start of my weight loss and this time it will stick.

I have a lot of weight to lose and I've tried all the different slimming clubs in the past but always left after a couple of months.

This time I'm determined to do it and having read the past few pages I'm encouraged by the success stories 🙂

Has anyone here ever stopped weighing themselves?

My inches and bodyfat are still going down on an even keel but the scales haven't moved for over a month now. Its very disheartening as much as I try not to let it bother me.

I've increased my training so I think I must be gaining muscle to account for the lack of loss but its hard to tell. Not sure what to do, but if I step on next week with no change again I'll be disgusted :(

SusieBlue wrote: »

My inches and bodyfat are still going down on an even keel but the scales haven't moved for over a month now. Its very disheartening as much as I try not to let it bother me.

I've increased my training so I think I must be gaining muscle to account for the lack of loss but its hard to tell. Not sure what to do, but if I step on next week with no change again I'll be disgusted :(

I stopped for a while but I was too anxious to see the number, so I went back to it after about 10 days.

Do whatever works best for you - I have a friend who threw her scales out and checks her success rate by putting on old jeans :)

If you've increased your workouts and your measurements are decreasing even though your weight isn't, then yeah I'd say chances are you're putting on muscle weight. That can help the weight loss in the long run, as it helps increase your metabolism and burn off fat quicker. But it can be hateful not seeing the scales move as much as you'd like.

I think so long as your bodyfat and measurements are still decreasing, keep it as a sign you're moving in the right direction even if the scales are staying still.

Only 1lb this week, which isn't surprising in the least considering my night out over the weekend. Between food & drink I definitely hit three times my calorie limit for the day, and that's just the food & drink I remember having :D. Slightly offset by the fact I could barely eat anything the next day due to being hungover and still full, but yeah, that night definitely resulted in my first <2lb week. But I'm still considering it a win overall because any loss is a loss, and the previous week's loss of 3lb still averages 2lb per week between the two of them, so still on track.

Now, back on the horse! Hi Ho Silver, AWAY!

• Advertisement

Officially hit the 5 stone mark this morning with a 3lb loss this week. Also means I'm teetering on the edge of being both under 100kg and under 30 BMI, which another week should do.

When I started back in May and laid out my spreadsheet to set my targets and what weight I should be by certain points, my best laid plans had me at 5 stone lost by Xmas, so I'm about a month ahead of schedule. But Xmas as always will be a busy period filled with big meals and lots of drink, so not going to get complacent. As I said in another thread, your overall progress is made in the gaps between the big events like Xmas or weddings or birthdays. Those events will happen, and you should enjoy them when they do. But they won't ruin your diet or progress if you keep working hard in the large gaps before, after and between events.

Keep it going folks! We're in the final stretch of 2018. Make it count!

2lb this week. Have to admit I was a bit lazy this week in terms of dinner due to being busy at work, so relied on a few ready-made meals like the cully and sully fish/chicken pies. Still stayed within calorie limits, but very carb heavy this week. Plus I had a small McDonald's last Sunday when we went out for my niece's birthday.

Going to knock this week out of the park though.

2lb again. Can't complain with that. While I was on a big streak of mostly 3lb losses each week, with calorie allowance getting tighter as I go on, 3lb wasn't going to be sustainable in the long run. Plus I was supposed to have prawn korma for dinner last night but had a friend over so ended up getting a small fish and chips instead. Doubt it made a pound of a difference though in terms of this mornings weigh-in.

I mentioned before about not being able to see much of a change in myself, but lately I am starting to. Not so much in terms of body, but in my face particularly. Plus I'm still having to get rid of more clothes every few weeks because they no longer fit me.

C'mon, where's everyone else's posts? Now's the time to drop a few pound and look awesome for Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Fair play man. Nah, I’ve given up for now. Fattening up for the cold winter ahead :P See ye next year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Penn wrote: »
    2lb again. Can't complain with that. While I was on a big streak of mostly 3lb losses each week, with calorie allowance getting tighter as I go on, 3lb wasn't going to be sustainable in the long run. Plus I was supposed to have prawn korma for dinner last night but had a friend over so ended up getting a small fish and chips instead. Doubt it made a pound of a difference though in terms of this mornings weigh-in.

I mentioned before about not being able to see much of a change in myself, but lately I am starting to. Not so much in terms of body, but in my face particularly. Plus I'm still having to get rid of more clothes every few weeks because they no longer fit me.

C'mon, where's everyone else's posts? Now's the time to drop a few pound and look awesome for Christmas!

I'm with you. Signing in again. One big push before Christmas.

I'm starting with an online coach this week to give my work outs & nutrition a bit more structure, the last few weeks I feel a bit lost and unsure if I'm using my time appropriately and getting the most I can out of my efforts.
    Was going to wait till January but no point coasting along till then. Hope its worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

Worst time of the year for weight loss. I need to loose the best part of 20kg and started back in late october and know between going away this weekend, xmas and going away in mid january Im going to add pounds back on

I'm starting with an online coach this week to give my work outs & nutrition a bit more structure, the last few weeks I feel a bit lost and unsure if I'm using my time appropriately and getting the most I can out of my efforts.
    Was going to wait till January but no point coasting along till then. Hope its worth it!

Good stuff, folks! Everyone puts it off until January, but if you set the wheels in motion now, you'll lose a few pound before Xmas, can enjoy Xmas knowing you put a bit of effort in before it and properly earned it, and you'll have a headstart on everyone else when it comes to January.

neris wrote: »
    Worst time of the year for weight loss. I need to loose the best part of 20kg and started back in late october and know between going away this weekend, xmas and going away in mid january Im going to add pounds back on

You might put some weight back on, but you can lose more than that if you focus on eating right in between those events so your sum total would still be a loss. Four weeks from now until Xmas. Whatever is happening for you this weekend won't outweigh the loss you could make between now and Xmas.

In the next few weeks I've my own birthday, work Xmas dinner and party and likely another night or two out before Xmas day. But those are maybe 4 days out of 4 weeks. The weightloss will happen in all those days outside those events. Then I'm taking Xmas week off the diet (not going to go crazy stuffing my face, but going to eat normal and try maintain at least). Then when it comes to January, it'll be easier to slip back into a proper diet than if I just spent the next few weeks relearning bad habits or getting lazy when it comes to food again.

Events and nights out will happen. But weightloss can still happen in the large gaps between. And considering how we all usually get to see people we might not have seen in a while around Xmas, now's the time to drop a few pound before Xmas and look your best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

So just for anyone reading here:

I used to be pretty overweight growing up until about close to three years ago at this stage, almost by the day, when I decided to change.

I started a ketogenic diet and a **** ton of dead lifts and three years later, I'm in great shape.

Fùck that Jordan Peterson lad. You want a rule for life? Here's one. Embrace the iron.

The iron makes the weak strong and the strong humble.

Anyone can do this.

And one thing that will happen: because Irish people hate people who do better than them, you will get some passive aggressive, bitchy comments coming to you.

Don't let that discourage you.

It's a real life changer, but it starts with food and it starts with good habits.

Advertisement