Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lion King Remake (Jon Favreau)

• 18-02-2017 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

'Lion King' Remake Casts Donald Glover as Simba, James Earl Jones as Mufasa

Director Jon Favreau announced the news on Twitter.
    Donald Glover is going to be king.

The star has been cast in Disney's remake of The Lion King as Simba, with director Jon Favreau announcing the news on Twitter. Favreau also revealed James Earl Jones will reprise his role as Mufasa, the beloved father character he voiced in the 1994 animated original.

Favreau first met Glover at The Hollywood Reporter's conversation on creativity in December, where Favreau told Glover his son is a fan of the star's music, which he performs under the name Childish Gambino. ("By the way, full disclosure: I see your face every day when I wake up my 15-year-old son because on his door is a portrait of you," Favreau told the actor-musician.)

Favreau brought The Jungle Book to life last year, and though The Lion King won’t be live-action, it will look it. Favreau has plans to build upon his work on Jungle Book, which featured a human child actor and brought a jungle and its animals to life using cutting-edge technology and green screen.

Jeff Nathanson, a Steven Spielberg favorite, is writing the take on the animated classic, which is considered one of the pinnacles of Disney’s animated movies. In the original film, Jonathan Taylor Thomas voiced young Simba, while Matthew Broderick voiced the adult version of the character.

In addition to Simba, Glover is taking on another iconic role, playing Lando Calrissian in the young Han Solo Star Wars spinoff, which is currently filming. Jones, well known as a Star Wars veteran, reprised his voice work as Darth Vader in December's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.

https://twitter.com/Jon_Favreau/status/832747544450998274?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/Jon_Favreau/status/832754734557601792?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

A very surprising project.

It just seems like it's only a matter of time before a Toy Story remake is upon us.

I imagine Benedict Cumberbatch's agent is waiting by the phone for the imminent "Scar" call. Or Idris Elba.
    Sasha Baron Cohen for Rafiki, obviously.

Timone & Pumba... Justin Timberlake & Adam Samberg.

Sorry, dunno why I'm trying to guess this.
    Yeah, just find it weird this is happening.
    Jungle Book seems more acceptable to me, probably because it's based on source material. The Lion King original IS the source, and it was perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

If they're casting Earl Jones, then they may as well go the whole hog (pardon the pun) and get Jeremy Irons in to play Scar.
    They could have gone younger and used Idris Elba and Mark Strong if they went for a full revamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

The Lion King original IS the source, and it was perfect.
    Bah, "Kimba, The White Lion" is the source.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,842 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Seth Rogen and Billy Eichner to voice Pumbaa and Timon

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Chiwetel Ejiofor in talks to voice Scar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

Brian Blessed to voice young Simba

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Davy Fitzgerald to voice old Simba

• Registered Users Posts: 84,842 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

jaxxx wrote: »
    To those who didn't know, they're making a live action remake to the 1994 classic. Well I say live action but it's literally all going to be CGI. TLK was one of my favourite films growing up and remains among the top on my favourite films of all time. That being said... I'm worried. Very worried. I was worried about Batman v Superman 2 years before it came out and my worries were largely proven right, perhaps even not enough. I'm even more worried about this. Spoilers for cast list and thoughts on same just in case anyone doesn't want to know.

Cast List:
    Donald Glover as Simba
    J.D. McCrary as young Simba
    Beyoncnowles-Carter as Nala
    Shahadi Wright Joseph as young Nala
    James Earl Jones as Mufasa
    Chiwetel Ejiofor as Scar
    Alfre Woodard as Sarabi
    John Oliver as Zazu
    John Kani as Rafiki
    Seth Rogen as Pumbaa
    Billy Eichner as Timon
    Eric Andre as Azizi
    Florence Kasumba as Shenzi
    Keegan-Michael Key as Kamari

You may notice (those of you fans of the original anyway) something odd near the bottom... or 2 things odd to be exact. "Azizi" and "Kamari". Both of these are hyenas. Now... are these simply name changes for Ed and Banzai or brand new hyenas, replacing Ed and Banzai? I don't know. Either way I'm very worried, and I'm not settled with Beyonce voicing Nala. Just don't know if her voice is soft enough..... I will keep an open mind as I did for BvS, but my gut proved right for that and it's more concerned for this..... It's nice seeing James Earl Jones reprise his role, his voice is iconic. When I heard Rogen was voicing Pumbaa, I immediately thought that that was a good decision.

Thoughts?

I thought they might try and get Irons back like Earl Jones

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I thought they might try and get Irons back like Earl Jones

Yeah for sure, i like Chiwetel Ejiofor but would much preferred Irons reprising :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Ok.

Ok.

This looks good.

I mean.. as a teaser trailer. It's good as a teaser trailer!

*runs off to listen to music he can remember from childhood*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

I have been patiently waiting for a look at this and have to say that trailer has given me child like excitement all over again.

I recently watched the original with my little fella a while back and it is by far the greatest animated movie ever.

Cannot wait to see it in live action.

Oh and James Earl Jones......chilling stuff hearing his voice

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Jon Favreau has a poster up on his twitter:
    466701.jpg

https://twitter.com/Jon_Favreau/status/1065740162519318528

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Hollywood humanisation of animals ... f*ck off.
    The eyes are still off, CGI can't do them ..

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

My reaction to the Aladdin trailer was "What's the point?"

My reaction to this... It looks more promising than most of the live action remakes but if it is a frame by frame remake, what's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah I saw it and thought Favreau had an easy job. Just give the animators the original and tell them to copy it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

El Duda wrote: »
    My reaction to the Aladdin trailer was "What's the point?"

My reaction to this... It looks more promising than most of the live action remakes but if it is a frame by frame remake, what's the point?

Well if the story was drastically changed people would complain either way.

The story is the story so can't exactly be changed that much. It can be adapted slightly but the story as it is is great.

Also the point of these remakes is to give kids now the same experience as we had growing up with the originals

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Well if the story was drastically changed people would complain either way.

The story is the story so can't exactly be changed that much. It can be adapted slightly but the story as it is is great.

Also the point of these remakes is to give kids now the same experience as we had growing up with the originals
    But kids nowadays seeing it for the first time is the same as us going to see it for the first time?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Man, Disney are just determined to do live-action remakes of all their 90s back catalogue eh? I look forward to their Treasure Planet reboot (not 90s, but hush now)

I'm sure it has nothing to do with how those who grew up on those tales are now in that prime, nostalgia wallowing demographic. Nope. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I'm assuming they are gonna cut the musical aspect of it out? Singing and dancing in that form will look daft i suspect. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Arcsurvivor

Looks good so far. At least James Earl Jones is returning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Looks good so far. At least James Earl Jones is returning.

Actually he did sound great

• Registered Users Posts: 14 LGadd14

nix wrote: »
    I'm assuming they are gonna cut the musical aspect of it out? Singing and dancing in that form will look daft i suspect. :pac:

Tim Rice apparently confirmed a few months ago that Circle of Life, I Just Can't Wait to Be King, Hakuna Matata and Can You Feel the Love Tonight? are all going to feature in this version. Be Prepared won't unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

pixelburp wrote: »
    Man, Disney are just determined to do live-action remakes of all their 90s back catalogue eh? I look forward to their Treasure Planet reboot (not 90s, but hush now)

I'm sure it has nothing to do with how those who grew up on those tales are now in that prime, nostalgia wallowing demographic. Nope. :D
    Is this even a live action remake? It's replacing one form of animation with another. Is anything about it live?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

humanji wrote: »
    Is this even a live action remake? It's replacing one form of animation with another. Is anything about it live?

That's a fair point, given that beyond Mogli, nothing in Favreau's Jungle Book was 'real' outside a computer; but the intentional photorealism does make it closer to a live action production than a creatively, aesthetically animated one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Plus, when I watch it drunk, I'll probably not be able to notice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A lot of the ‘live action’ (the term used loosely given how SFX-heavy even the ones with humans are, let alone this CG animation) Disney remakes risk being absolutely wasted opportunities. While we’ve yet to see most of them, indications are that they’ve hopelessly indebted to the animated originals. Sure, that’s Disney being Disney and spending billions to cement their own legacy, but just seems like a waste to ignore the potential for a different take on these classic stories. The remakes thus far give the sense of being commercially sensible but in many respects artistically hollow - but hey, that could sum up a whole lot of Hollywood!

Based on the teaser alone, I feel this is particularly at risk of complete redundancy. I primarily say that because it’s so dull to look at. This photorealistic CG is expensive and technically impressive, but that could be all it is - one can only hope that the expressiveness and vibrancy of the original (and indeed its theatrical version) carries over. Not a whole lot of evidence in the teaser that that’ll be the case with the finished product, and The Jungle Book sadly doesn’t offer a basis for optimism...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I assume the potential for sequels and expanded universes is part of the motive behind these photorealistic remakes. Isn't Favreau already signed on for a sequel to The Jungle Book? There were sequels to their animated originals too, of course, but they were usually low budget, direct-to-video efforts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Another trailer has surfaced: I've cribbed about the renames already, but it looks utterly cold and sterile. The animals don't appear to have any expressiveness or emotion. Just looks like a tech demo:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

pixelburp wrote: »
    Another trailer has surfaced: I've cribbed about the renames already, but it looks utterly cold and sterile. The animals don't appear to have any expressiveness or emotion. Just looks like a tech demo:

It's almost as if life-like animals can't emote the same way humans or cartoon animals can. Haven't watched the trailer yet but I just can't bring myself around to being excited about this.

Advertisement