Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant put key meter in without my knowledge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Could it be that the tenant went into arrears previously and the electricity supplier put them on a pay meter to clear the arrears?
    It sometimes happens that the supplier has a deal with people in arrears that they are put on metered supply and pay for their usage and a small percentage of their arrears every time they top up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Xcellor wrote: »
    I'm not a land lord but if someone I rented a house to decided to make changes like this I would want it undone. i.e. if you decide to paint the house grand provided its painted back to what it was beforehand... Regardless of if it's ugly or not leaving sh*t behind is not on.
    Sure I'd be annoyed if they did that without my permission, but ultimately if the paint was done well, was in good condition, and suited the room then why go to the effort of changing it?

Same with the meter, why go to the effort of arranging to have it removed, taking half a day off work, filling and painting over the holes, if it's not doing any harm? The next tenant might even be happy to have the option of using it.

Now in principle I'm completely against these prepay electricity plans, but not principled enough to go to the bother of removing them in a house I'm not living in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,659 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

In the past, as a Tennant, I've avoided places with prepaid meters for electricity or gas.

McGaggs wrote: »
    In the past, as a Tennant, I've avoided places with prepaid meters for electricity or gas.
    Why so? Was the landlord insisting on using them? That would put me off all right but that's not what's going on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

TheChizler wrote: »
    Why so? Was the landlord insisting on using them? That would put me off all right but that's not what's going on here.

Because they are expensive.

• Advertisement

engiweirdo wrote: »
    So tenant prevented you from being left with a major bill. Prepay meter is simple, new tenant registers with their details and starts with clean slate, no pre-existing debt. Literally did you a favour and all you can think of is punishment(keeping deposit) and how you feel hard done by and have a bunch of cheerleaders to back you up. The Irish landlord is indeed a special kind of low. No doubt you have a sob story about how "accidental" your landlord job is too....

The tenant didn't do anyone a favour. Those prepay meters are more expensive than nearly any other provider, if I was a potential tenant they would put me off a property.

The tenant should have gotten permission before getting it installed and failing that should have had it removed when she left.

Try sticking to facts next time.

Yes but unless the landlord is insisting on using them you don't have to (and that's even debatable whether the ll can force you to use a particular supplier).

Yes but unless the landlord is insisting on using them you don't have to (and that's even debatable whether the ll can force you to use a particular supplier).

Not much debate, the landlord can insist if they want.

Prepay power and the like often charge a fee to remove or deactivate the meter. Who is going to sort that out if the tenant is gone and won't pay it? It takes ages to sort out.

Not much debate, the landlord can insist if they want.

Prepay power and the like often charge a fee to remove or deactivate the meter. Who is going to sort that out if the tenant is gone and won't pay it? It takes ages to sort out.
    Yes but that's irrelevant to this thread as the OP is not insisting on them using the meter, in fact pretty much the opposite.
    It's possible to leave the meter there deactivated for free, why go to the expense (time off work, repainting the wall) and effort of removing it when you can just do nothing and give the next tenant more options?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,659 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

You can tell it was years ago, because I was able to pass up on a rental ;).

I didn't like the extra cost and the hassle of topping up. I remember visiting friends with one in NI and the power going out and they had to run out to buy a voucher.

It was also pointed out to me that the installation costs are to be paid through the top ups and that it's possible they could also be paying off arrears.

A lower cost direct debit just seemed easier.

• Advertisement

Yes but that's irrelevant to this thread as the OP is not insisting on them using the meter, in fact pretty much the opposite.
    It's possible to leave the meter there deactivated for free, why go to the expense (time off work, repainting the wall) and effort of removing it when you can just do nothing and give the next tenant more options?

Oh I agree, I would just leave it myself but I have no idea what it looks like, maybe it's fugly and in a prominent position?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

No they don't. Fee's would have been applicable to the tenant if they broke contract. There is no removal fee and it's usually sorted in one or two phonecalls

There is a fee for gas meter removal but this is a charge from GNI but again, always sorted very quickly

McGaggs wrote: »
    You can tell it was years ago, because I was able to pass up on a rental ;).

I didn't like the extra cost and the hassle of topping up. I remember visiting friends with one in NI and the power going out and they had to run out to buy a voucher.
    Certainly wouldn't happen today!

I've heard of landlords insisting on using them all right. I think I lived in a place with one a few years back, don't remember clearly because we changed over to a regular supplier day one and just ignored it.

Oh I agree, I would just leave it myself but I have no idea what it looks like, maybe it's fugly and in a prominent position?
    Which would be fair enough!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Wouldn't it work out easier for everyone if you just left it there but deactivated? Unless it's very ugly on the wall or something I don't see any real reason to remove it.

Lots of tenants will consider a property to be of a poorer standard or setup for council tenants- if it has a prepay meter installed. When I was renting- I always asked for a sizeable discount if there was a prepay meter- as aside from any other reason- the electricity on them is so damn expensive- its only fair to give a tenant a discount if they are expected to use one of these.........?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

No one has to use them if installed.
    If you move in you simply request a bill account with your provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Contacted electric ireland to be told get onto prepay power to take the account out of tenants name. Gave electric ireland meter.
    Rang prepay power and went though a string of press 1 for press 2 for eventually got trough to someone who said I had to connect electricireland first.
    20minutes later esb in my name. Now gave to ring prepay to get them to remove the meter and give forward address for tenant. Still don't know if there is a charge. 26euros in arrears on prepay machine due to tenant not putting money in account so no power to the house. Two boxes on the wall with wires tacked along the wall.

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    No one has to use them if installed.
    If you move in you simply request a bill account with your provider.

I don't think you can. They work on funds being topped up in a shop on a card.

tvjunki wrote: »
    Contacted electric ireland to be told get onto prepay power to take the account out of tenants name. Gave electric ireland meter.
    Rang prepay power and went though a string of press 1 for press 2 for eventually got trough to someone who said I had to connect electricireland first.
    20minutes later esb in my name. Now gave to ring prepay to get them to remove the meter and give forward address for tenant. Still don't know if there is a charge. 26euros in arrears on prepay machine due to tenant not putting money in account so no power to the house. Two boxes on the wall with wires tacked along the wall.

Electric Ireland got that arse about face, not uncommon. I take it you've signed up with them now anyway, once prepay see the notification from ESB they will give a deactivation code and the meter will be dead on the wall. In all honesty I'd leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭denismc

When we bought our place 2 years ago the house had one of these prepaid meters installed. We just rang the ESB and had it switched back to normal bill pay. The prepaid meter is still there along side the original meter.
    I really don't see why you would physically remove this as it is not very big and sits in the meter box out of sight.
    If you are a landlord I would have thought it would be beneficial to have one of these.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

No one has to use a preepay meter.
    If there is one in house a new tenant does not have to use it.
    They can simply go billpay with whoever they want

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    No one has to use a preepay meter.
    If there is one in house a new tenant does not have to use it.
    They can simply go billpay with whoever they want

Unless the LL chooses to keep bills in his name which is not uncommon in house shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

denismc wrote: »
    When we bought our place 2 years ago the house had one of these prepaid meters installed. We just rang the ESB and had it switched back to normal bill pay. The prepaid meter is still there along side the original meter.
    I really don't see why you would physically remove this as it is not very big and sits in the meter box out of sight.
    If you are a landlord I would have thought it would be beneficial to have one of these.

Bought a house last month. Prepay meter--- they must have changed
    Since as it's ugly and about 2 feet of conduit from Meter box to their box

I'm now 5 weeks waiting for it to be removed

ArtyC wrote: »
    Bought a house last month. Prepay meter--- they must have changed
    Since as it's ugly and about 2 feet of conduit from Meter box to their box

I'm now 5 weeks waiting for it to be removed

It is ugly. There's two boxes one next to the fuse box and another connect to another box. The original meter is night saver so I don't know how they could get it in when esb say it is not possible to use on night saver.
    5weeks that's crazy and you did not put it in in the first place.

It is ugly. There's two boxes one next to the fuse box and another connect to another box. The original meter is night saver so I don't know how they could get it in when esb say it is not possible to use on night saver.
    5weeks that's crazy and you did not put it in in the first place.

It can be used on a nightsaver

Meter type MCC01, MCC02 and MCC03 are all compatible with the meter

denismc wrote: »

Esb is different to prepay. Some esb meters can work with the saving card. The esb meter is still there and now there is the prepay box inside the house connected to the fuse box and another box trailing out of that.
    Tenant pays too much for the use. They have rent to pay and have to pay higher charges for electricity could put some over the edge.

Esb is different to prepay. Some esb meters can work with the saving card. The esb meter is still there and now there is the prepay box inside the house connected to the fuse box and another box trailing out of that.
    Tenant pays too much for the use. They have rent to pay and have to pay higher charges for electricity could put some over the edge.

Thing is though if you're on a bill without Direct Debit with Electric Ireland you pay the full whack rate and they look for a 300quid deposit in rental properties. Somebody availing of prepay is usually not in a position to have a Direct Debit for utilities. It's catch 22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The prepay companies will clear any outstanding balance if proof can be shown, a dated lease is enough. Also the two main players in that market have dedicated account managers for landlords.

As a landlord these meters supply a safety net, the property won't be disconnected and possibly left without power for 10 days (which can happen if there is a debt flag with ESBN). Self disconnection can be sorted quickly and easy.

When they are removed the engineer fills the holes also.

Haha, your having a laugh

I bought a house, one of those things was stuck in it, house was vacant and over 200 quid on the prepaid power thing owed, standing charges

Rang them, told them I was buying the house etc etc, they had previous owners details....more or less told to either pay up or sit without electricity....ended up rang estate agent and they said to pay, get receipt and they would sort it

Rang back up, explained everything to next guy, he said no problem, receipt would be email in 24 hours. 48 hours later still waiting, rang back up, they don’t provide any receipt to people, other guy got it wrong....no refund either.....spent about 2 hours getting bounced around till finally got a manager, read out the address of company and said I was on way out to see him....suddenly the receipt appeared

That’s 2 years ago, still can’t get them to take the ungodly piece of sh*t out of my house....have tried4 times now and they never show up or reply once and then never come back

They are a shower of gangsters!!!! Plain and simple

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The ESB Networks recent card/topup code meters can be converted back to a bog standard meter with a (ridiculously long) code provided by the new provider. Did it only a few months ago in my brother's house. First code was a topup for the exact amount the meter was showing in negative and the second was to bypass. Had to disconnect the keypad as it kept beeping for low credit though.

The Bord Gais Networks Landis+Gyr code meters physically have the ability to do this - read the spec sheet if you want - but I have no idea BG Networks allow it; not had to do it.

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Haha, your having a laugh

I bought a house, one of those things was stuck in it, house was vacant and over 200 quid on the prepaid power thing owed, standing charges

Rang them, told them I was buying the house etc etc, they had previous owners details....more or less told to either pay up or sit without electricity....ended up rang estate agent and they said to pay, get receipt and they would sort it

Rang back up, explained everything to next guy, he said no problem, receipt would be email in 24 hours. 48 hours later still waiting, rang back up, they don’t provide any receipt to people, other guy got it wrong....no refund either.....spent about 2 hours getting bounced around till finally got a manager, read out the address of company and said I was on way out to see him....suddenly the receipt appeared

That’s 2 years ago, still can’t get them to take the ungodly piece of sh*t out of my house....have tried4 times now and they never show up or reply once and then never come back

They are a shower of gangsters!!!! Plain and simple

Nope, no laugh

Advertisement