Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Werewolf: The Game Show

Options
1909192939496»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Rikand, you mentioned Angleshooting in the BR. Where does the name come from?

I ask as its something future mods might need to be more aware of and maybe include a rule for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭MrsFlushdraw

Pter wrote: »

I ask as its something future mods might need to be more aware of and maybe include a rule for.

We use it in poker a lot, not sure if Rikand is meaning from there

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Angleshooting: Using outside game info to gain an advantage.

A simple example would be using the 'Who's Online' part of the forum as a reason to call someone a wolf.

Or going onto COP and checking the 'Who's Online and cross-referencing it with the Boards one would be a big one.

So meta?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

So meta?

Metagaming imo is a form of angleshooting.

Meta really is using people's previous games again as a read etc.

It's a little different as we get used to how people play and differences in their style each game get noticed.
    I'm not a fan of it, but that stuff can't really be helped as a lot of us have played together for a long time now.

• Advertisement

How is threatening to quit angleshooting?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Its the actual quitting for no real reason ive a problem with. Could have ruined the game.

Oh i getcha.

Yeah look that would fall under needing to talk to the game mods, which is rule #1 anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Well it's angleshooting if you say your going to quit cause of someone defending themselves or for whatever other reason like some attacking your or calling you a wolf. In this instance the fact he quit meant it wasn't actually angleshooting but worse, it effectively could have ruined the game.

I'm pretty sure in the past people have insinuated in a meltdown post they were done with the game and didn't have time for this crap etc. It's happened before in but not as blatant as this. I felt sorry for the mods in the above instance, it's very difficult to deal with deep into a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

duffman13 wrote: »
    Well it's angleshooting if you say your going to quit cause of someone defending themselves or for whatever other reason like some attacking your or calling you a wolf. In this instance the fact he quit meant it wasn't actually angleshooting but worse, it effectively could have ruined the game.

I'm pretty sure in the past people have insinuated in a meltdown post they were done with the game and didn't have time for this crap etc. It's happened before in but not as blatant as this. I felt sorry for the mods in the above instance, it's very difficult to deal with deep into a game.

Ive insinuated a meltdown was in progress in the last game, as a methodof getting someone off my back. Katie was all over me so I wanted to throw a wobbler to get her off my back a bit. It was all faux outrage and I immediately messaged the mods to alert them that i was not done with the game and it was a tactic. I feel this is fair game to a point.

Actually quitting when your not getting your way is childish and can easily torpedo a game. Mods work for months to deliver a game to the community for the happiness of everyone. The only time quitting is acceptable is when real life gets in the way.

To quit a game when another player is fairly defending themselves is so petty and it can have huge knock on effects. Its not fair on the players or the mods. When a player is given chance after chance to conform to forum and game rules yet doesnt, its a problem.

When its got to a point when other players wont return to games, the issue has to be addtessed.

Any time Ive broken a rule or beem overly competitive in a game, which to be fair has happened a good bit, I've been fairly discussed any issues with players Ive crossed.

My run in withe Necro in the overwatch game for example. We discussed the issue like adults and worked it out. It didnt happen again and I was remorseful.

In the Westworld game I was way too competitive and didnt see how it effected others. I discussed it with others and saw the error of my ways. Again I was remorseful and learned a lesson. Said issue didnt happen again.

I want to enjoy the games and sometimes I dont see my errors but I genuinely dont want to push others away from the game.

If other players break a rule, I expect the same from them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

I was a sub for this game. I was available to sub and was eager to join.
    Do not say jack subbing out could have ruined the game as i was available and eager to join in but was not asked to, so the mods where happier to modkill the slot than to sub me into the game.

I was having the ****tiest of ****ty days on Tuesday and overlooked your PM that you were available to sub.

It’s only a ****ing game no need to contact The European Court of Werewolf Rights about it.

With regards to subbing. We don't know the impact a second substitution on the same role / spot would have so it's not worth speculating imo. Keith was available so he could have subbed in. I don't think the game was in major danger of being ruined at the stage it happened.

The issue imo is that this was all done on thread and without game mod consultation. It's a breach of rule game #1.

Subbing is at mods discretion, so if they think they don't need or want to sub someone, that's their call (but not the players call).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

sKeith wrote: »
    Do not say jack subbing out could have ruined the game as i was available and eager to join in but was not asked to, so the mods where happier to modkill the slot than to sub me into the game.
    The mods hands were forced. The account was closed before a decision had been made.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Excuse me now but at no point was any game mod informed of Jack's decision to remove himself from the game/board. We weren't given any prior warning of it and had to deal with it as we felt best. The first we heard of it was from someone on the thread mentioning that the account had been closed. The position we took was that at that stage in the game a second sub was just too much and we took the decision to modkill. So I don't really appreciate you undermining our mod decisions. You weren't put in that situation, we were. We made a call and I stand by it.

Had Jack's role been a RV rather than just a contestant it could have completely ruined the game. I didn't see any excessively abusive conduct in the game thread and thought the entire situation was completely unnecessary.

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Excuse me now but at no point was any game mod informed of Jack's decision to remove himself from the game/board. We weren't given any prior warning of it and had to deal with it as we felt best. The first we heard of it was from someone on the thread mentioning that the account had been closed. The position we took was that at that stage in the game a second sub was just too much and we took the decision to modkill. So I don't really appreciate you undermining our mod decisions. You weren't put in that situation, we were. We made a call and I stand by it.

Had Jack's role been a RV rather than just a contestant it could have completely ruined the game. I didn't see any excessively abusive conduct in the game thread and thought the entire situation was completely unnecessary.

Ah, i see, you maybe have yet to read this post then, sorry.
    It was after i read that post myself that i re-pmed my availability to SM.

Ah, i see, you maybe have yet to read this post then, sorry.
    It was after i read that post myself that i re-pmed my availability to SM.

Saying that you're quitting on the thread is NOT the same as directly informing the mods. You may have all the time in the world to read every single post in the game thread but I don't. It was a ****ty thing to do and there was no warning of it beforehand.

Saying that you're quitting on the thread is NOT the same as directly informing the mods. You may have all the time in the world to read every single post in the game thread but I don't. It was a ****ty thing to do and there was no warning of it beforehand.

I definetly don't have the time to read each and every post, especially at the slow speed i read at.

Now, regarding 'Saying that you're quitting on the thread is NOT the same as directly informing the mods', you could have taken it as an in-game lie, but in that case, they should not have been modkilled that next morning.

3. Be active: Please all try to reasonably contribute to the game thread and always remember to get a vote in as a minimum. Failure to do so will result in being Substituted or Mod killed, whichever is more convenient at the time. Substitution does not indicate any alignment or role. All players who are mod killed will be replaced if possible.

Jack had a vote in, so shouldn't of being modkilled until they didn't get a vote in at the next lynch.

sKeith wrote:
    Jack had a vote in, so shouldn't of being modkilled until they didn't get a vote in at the next lynch.

This is rediculous to the point of absurdity. You are trying to rule lawyer for him?

He closed his account. It's not something that can be reversed. Mods are 100% within their rights to confirm someone has left a game when they can plainly see he had left the game.

Either its a ploy and he leaves his account open or it's not a ploy and he wanted out, in which case the rules state he should be talking to the mods off thread about it.

This is rediculous to the point of absurdity. You are trying to rule lawyer for him?

He closed his account. It's not something that can be reversed. Mods are 100% within their rights to confirm someone has left a game when they can plainly see he had left the game.

Either its a ploy and he leaves his account open or it's not a ploy and he wanted out, in which case the rules state he should be talking to the mods off thread about it.

i have never closed an account, i did not know this.

• Advertisement

sKeith wrote:
    i have never closed an account, i did not know this.

If it's gone, it's gone.

Now, regarding 'Saying that you're quitting on the thread is NOT the same as directly informing the mods', you could have taken it as an in-game lie, but in that case, they should not have been modkilled that next morning.

3. Be active: Please all try to reasonably contribute to the game thread and always remember to get a vote in as a minimum. Failure to do so will result in being Substituted or Mod killed, whichever is more convenient at the time. Substitution does not indicate any alignment or role. All players who are mod killed will be replaced if possible.

Again, mods took a decision based on the information that was available to them at the time. We gave him the benefit of the doubt and allowed his vote in that night's lynch to stand. After that we confirmed with the board mods that he had in fact, closed his account, at which point we decided to mod kill him the following morning. How would you have dealt with this situation?

Again, mods took a decision based on the information that was available to them at the time. We gave him the benefit of the doubt and allowed his vote in that night's lynch to stand. After that we confirmed with the board mods that he had in fact, closed his account, at which point we decided to mod kill him the following morning. How would you have dealt with this situation?

If something like this happens in May, you'll find out ;)

If something like this happens in May, you'll find out ;)

Well it won't be me closing my account anyway. I'm too fond of good old Molly.

Advertisement