Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin City and Greater area – Danger points

Options
  • 21-11-2018 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi All,

I’m not sure if this has been done before on this forum but from your own personal experience what is the most dangerous stretch of road you must negotiate on your commute/general cycle in and around the greater Dublin area.

For reference I’ve been cycling in and around Dublin city and the greater area since the 90’s. I’ve lived and cycled on both sides of the city.

The reason I’m asking is I’m comfortable and feel safe to a general degree on pretty much every road in Dublin I use (provided your switched on) but the only place I have a genuine fear is Victoria Quay outside the Guinness Brewery when trying to negotiate the 4 lanes to get to the Phoneix Park/Chapelizod due to intermittent aggressive driver behavior.

For the record a large majority of drivers on this stretch or road are patient and understanding but I’ve had a number of close passes/tailgating incidents generally from “professional drivers” (not Dublin Bus btw).

If there is enough feedback it may be useful to the various cycle advocacy groups in operation for statistical purposes in terms of danger points from cyclists of all levels.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ringsend/Approach to Eastlink. Disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Hi All,

I’m not sure if this has been done before on this forum but from your own personal experience what is the most dangerous stretch of road you must negotiate on your commute/general cycle in and around the greater Dublin area.

For reference I’ve been cycling in and around Dublin city and the greater area since the 90’s. I’ve lived and cycled on both sides of the city.

The reason I’m asking is I’m comfortable and feel safe to a general degree on pretty much every road in Dublin I use (provided your switched on) but the only place I have a genuine fear is Victoria Quay outside the Guinness Brewery when trying to negotiate the 4 lanes to get to the Phoneix Park/Chapelizod due to intermittent aggressive driver behavior.

For the record a large majority of drivers on this stretch or road are patient and understanding but I’ve had a number of close passes/tailgating incidents generally from “professional drivers” (not Dublin Bus btw).

If there is enough feedback it may be useful to the various cycle advocacy groups in operation for statistical purposes in terms of danger points from cyclists of all levels.

Thanks

If you start that navigation on the left hand side of the road and attempt to switch to the right hand side in full traffic, it's done at your own peril.

I rarely switch. Only when traffic is low/clear, otherwise I stick to the left until traffic lights or start on the right and stay there till the end

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ED E wrote: »
    Ringsend/Approach to Eastlink. Disaster.
    I used to go that way. I know bypass itby going into Irish town and turning down in the village. You come out at the eastlink

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Pseudorandom

Trying to make a right turn from Mount St Lwr to go along the canal is regularly the most terrifying part of my cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The section of the R132 southbound between Blake's cross and Turvey Avenue (north Co Dublin) is probably the most dangerous piece of road I use regularly. It's only a few hundred meters but about 15 years ago the hard shoulder was converted into an second lane to make exiting from R127 (Lusk) easier for motorists. I never feel comfortable on it even when I 'take' the left lane. The surface is also poor with numerous ruts and holes and a few shore covers.

To add to the danger, due to it's direction, it's even worse mid morning in winter with a low sun on a wet road as drivers are blinded going over the crest before the dip to Turvey Avenue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ted1 wrote: »
    I used to go that way. I know bypass itby going into Irish town and turning down in the village. You come out at the eastlink
    same here - after it was suggested to me by someone on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

The section of the R132 southbound between Blake's cross and Turvey Avenue (north Co Dublin) is probably the most dangerous piece of road I use regularly. It's only a few hundred meters but about 15 years ago the hard shoulder was converted into an second lane to make exiting from R127 (Lusk) easier for motorists. I never feel comfortable on it even when I 'take' the left lane. The surface is also poor with numerous ruts and holes and a few shore covers.

To add to the danger, due to it's direction, it's even worse mid morning in winter with a low sun on a wet road as drivers are blinded going over the crest before the dip to Turvey Avenue.

It's a horror of a spot

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Be very careful anywhere from Rathgar, Rathmines, Camden St, Aungier St, really dangerous point now is George's St as they are doing building works so have taken over a full lane and the set up is a mess.

Just be careful anywhere to be honest as city is in bits with pot holes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

In bound, the bit I feel most uncomfortable is the whole clusterf*ck around Trees Road on the N11. Well the crossroads with the Dublin Road/ Priory Drive/ N11 up to Trees Road really. I think that it's only because it's generally low speed that there isn't regular incidents and cyclists can normally get ahead of the cars, but cars/ buses/ cyclists/ moto's going every which way. (It's another junction that the "only cyclists go through red lights" crowd should pay a visit to as well).

I've given up taking a right out of Greenfield Park on the way home - too many near misses with people piling out of Nutley Lane, and then punishment passes up to the flyover for not using the shocking cycle lane. I go through UCD now.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭alentejo

I have a few

Ill start with Memorial Bridge south bound (North Stand / IFSC) heading towards south quays and O'Connell Bridge.

Need to position yourself in the middle of 4 lanes of traffic. I know there is a cycle track on the bridge but not sure if it is even marked anymore!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

alentejo wrote: »
    I have a few

Ill start with Memorial Bridge south bound (North Stand / IFSC) heading towards south quays and O'Connell Bridge.

Need to position yourself in the middle of 4 lanes of traffic. I know there is a cycle track on the bridge but not sure if it is even marked anymore!

Cycle track is designed for cyclists to go against traffic so from South side to North side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Hi All,

Thanks

Yes that stretch at Guinness brewery can be bad. I find coming into town and going up the hill after O'Shea's Merchant when the road swings to the left, everyone tries overtaking you and there just is not the space with it being 2 lanes and always traffic in the outside lane.

Few close calls over the last week alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Personally the roundabout at the Assumption Church in Ballyfermot in the mornings is an absolute disaster. You never now what the cars are doing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

AGC wrote: »
    I find coming into town and going up the hill after O'Shea's Merchant when the road swings to the left, everyone tries overtaking you and there just is not the space with it being 2 lanes and always traffic in the outside lane.
    i was at one of the dublin cycling campaign meetings where they were discussing preliminary results from the lberty bell trial, and there were a few council road guys there. this hill was menitoned as a hotspot, one which the guys from the council were none too surprised about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Macy0161 wrote: »
    and then punishment passes up to the flyover for not using the shocking cycle lane. I go through UCD now.

Anyone know if there's a way to report cycle lane issues to the council on road conditions? That section between RTE & UCD is ridiculous. Would think now is the time as councils look to empty the coffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Its mostly uphill that direction as well, which slows you down and makes you feel like more of a sitting duck with cars coming up fast behind you.

Anyone know if there's a way to report cycle lane issues to the council on road conditions? That section between RTE & UCD is ridiculous. Would think now is the time as councils look to empty the coffers.

Can't speak for Dublin but in our locale I've used fixmystreet.ie 5 or 6 times with good results, stuff like street lights being out, rubbish being dumped and crater of a pot hole.

I’m really surprised that the UCD SU and UCD itself don’t push the council to fix the main access points. It’d help them with their parking issues.

I use this daily and always keep to the bus lane. Drives me crazy to see cyclists use it. Gives us a bad name !!

Can't speak for Dublin but in our locale I've used fixmystreet.ie 5 or 6 times with good results, stuff like street lights being out, rubbish being dumped and crater of a pot hole.

I just used it to report the RTE to UCD cycle path

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

I found the N2 between Phibsboro and Finglas was pretty hairy back when I used it. Left hooks and buses pushing you off the road.

Its a short stretch, but the Canal to Harts corner can be a bit tricky if you take the lane and are turning right.

Church st/Constitution hill is a nightmare with either close passing or so much congestion its impossible to filter. I just avoid it now.

It's calmed down a bit now thanks to the changes, but Westmoreland st > O'Connell st is still hectic.

Ranelagh is generally OK, but this year has seen widespread parking in the Northbound cycling lane with no enforcement which makes it difficult to get through now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

That squeeze point on the south quays after Parliament St before Wood Quay: Essex Quay, horrible spot.

The bike lane that hides you behind a bus stop shelter just before dumping you into a corner on the N11 at Foster's Avenue heading North. Terrible design.

N4 is no fun to cycle on that Chapelizod Bypass section. Very narrow bus lane.

There's loads of spots where motorists will feel obliged to turn right across your path as you are coming towards them. Merrion Square/Holles St. and Northumberland Road/Clanwilliam Place are two spots where an unwary cyclist could easily get run over if they were not on the ball.

More to follow...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

The bend in the road outside the cash and carry on Richmond Road is awful for the auld close pass. The road and 'footpath' are not well defined and motorists will tend to cut across the space you are occupying to take a short cut across the footpath. Hair-raising!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

East Wall Road, from the roundabout at the east link up to North Strand. Especially if you are trying to take right onto Alfie Byrne Road to get on to the cycle lane north to Howth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

I always avoid Richmond Road and take Clonliffe instead. Much of it is too narrow for two-way traffic for cars so they generally leave zero room for bikes. About time they made it one-way with a contraflow bike lane.

When I used to regularly commute, Tara Street was my pet hate followed by trying to safely cross the Luas lines at the Abbey St / Beresford Place junction. Now, turning right up Parnell Square by the Rotunda while avoiding the tracks is even trickier.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,619 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Newcomen Bridge

Take a deep breath and ensure my camera is active before I get on that bastid

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Macy0161 wrote: »
    In bound, the bit I feel most uncomfortable is the whole clusterf*ck around Trees Road on the N11. Well the crossroads with the Dublin Road/ Priory Drive/ N11 up to Trees Road really. I think that it's only because it's generally low speed that there isn't regular incidents and cyclists can normally get ahead of the cars, but cars/ buses/ cyclists/ moto's going every which way. (It's another junction that the "only cyclists go through red lights" crowd should pay a visit to as well).

Have had a few incidents there aswell.

For me, going southbound at Kielys in Donnybrook.
    Two narrow lanes going around the corner, cars in the outside lane want to keep as left as possible, meaning cars in the inside lane basically want to run you up onto the footpath.

If i get the redlight just before it, i normally go through it. Ive had a too many close calls tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Just to add when you coming from Balbriggan the Approach to Blakes cross is lethal. Cars turning right heading to lusk always cut out in front of you last minute, then when you have just negotiated that,you have to try and merge with cars travelling up to 100kph coming from Lusk Ahhhhhh. Must the worst junction in the Country. Going Northbound not much fun either, I'm always nervous from Tesco Roundabout until I get well past Blake's Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Have had a few incidents there aswell.

For me, going southbound at Kielys in Donnybrook.
    Two narrow lanes going around the corner, cars in the outside lane want to keep as left as possible, meaning cars in the inside lane basically want to run you up onto the footpath.

If i get the redlight just before it, i normally go through it. Ive had a too many close calls tbh.

That dog-leg is a disaster, there's also two huge metal grates on the ground which I'm also wary of taking too fast in case I slip. I tend to take the full lane now, the bike lane there is a deathtrap.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

That dog-leg is a disaster, there's also two huge metal grates on the ground which I'm also wary of taking too fast in case I slip. I tend to take the full lane now, the bike lane there is a deathtrap.

had forgotten about them!
    Very cold or wet conditions and i just slow right down there and take the full lane too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Mac-Chops

For me it's heading outbound on the quays and turning right after the Four Courts.
    Any right turns off the quays involving crossing a number of lanes in rush hour traffic is testing enough.

Also in the mornings for me, there's an unfortunately timed red light heading Eastbound past Sean O'Casey bridge at the Citibank where I continually find myself in the minority of cyclists that stop.
    Have witnessed plenty of near misses because of this.

(I'm aware that cars and pedestrians skip reds also.)

Advertisement