Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who do women dress for?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I dress to keep warm... period. and for comfort..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

My mother, may God rest her soul, once went from brunette to blonde and back in a year and my dad never once noticed!

I'd say people dress for themselves, imagine if you're like me and a jeans an footy shirt kinda girl and you're courting someone who likes his women in short skirts (for example) - I'd feel like a drag queen myself and not in a good way!

Wear whatever makes you comfortable or happy or glam or whatever the situation is! Having said that I could make a ten grand McQueen frock look like a bin bag so i may not be the right person to offer advice!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Depends. Absolutely sometimes I’ve dressed in ways that I hoped made me look schexy. But I’ve had items of clothing in my wardrobe that literally nobody liked - not my huz, not my friends, not my family. But I liked them so I wore them. I can most definitely say that in those incidences, I was dressing for nobody but myself.

OP, the woman said that women don’t always dress for men. That implies that she thinks they sometimes do. So I don’t see a contradiction if she owns some sexy items.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

VanGogh18 wrote: »
    so you are saying irish women look rougher, but have better personalities,
    i agree with that

No, that’s not what I said at all, it’s not even like anything I said.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I generally dress to please myself.

However I would often refer to other women's sense of style and their possible appreciation of my getup when choosing an outfit.

Purely because any man I've ever been in a relationship with had no idea of what was fashionable/flattering on me.

But that's just my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Depends on the occasion and what I want to achieve or convey. I could be dressing for myself, dressing to stand out from other women or to be noticed by men. However I would also dress for the occasion, for my body type, for comfort or whatever else.

There is a lot you can say by clothing so why not use it to advantage. And that advantage is not limited just to be noticed by men or look better than other women.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Men don't give a ****e about women's nails, expensive haircuts that look exactly the same as before or some expensive handbag.

Women do all of that to show off to other women. It's pathetic.

...Or maybe they do it because they like how it looks?
    As someone who spends €50 a month on acrylics, believe me, I don't do it for the benefit of anyone but myself.

Do you really think women have so little to be worrying about that we go around our day to day lives analysing and judging the nails & haircut of every single woman we pass on the street?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

DBut I’ve had items of clothing in my wardrobe that literally nobody liked - not my huz, not my friends, not my family. But I liked them so I wore them. .

Although let's be honest, if he looks at you before going out and says ''Uuuhhhhh....'', and you go ''What!? What's wrong?!'' and he goes ''Nothing'' and you go ''Is there something wrong with this?'', and he goes ''No, no, it's ...fine, really, it's fine,'' and you go ''For fcuks sake, spit it out, say if you don't like it,'' and he says ''Wellll, hmmmmm, you know,'' and you say ''Out with it!'' and he says ''I prefer the other thing,'' and you say ''Oh yeah, why!?What's wrong with this?!'' and he says, ''Never mind, it's not important,'' and you say ''Well, it was obviously fcuking important enough for you to make a big deal out of it a minute ago,'' and he says ''I didn't!'' and you say, ''You absolutely did! And now I can't go out wearing this because I probably look like a gomaluk!'' and he says, ''Honestly, it's fine, you look good!''

But it's far too late for platitudes now, and you rip off the clothes you were wearing in the hallway and stomp off back to your discarded selection in the bedroom, sweating and cross, and raging.

Next time you appear in the hallway he says, ''Wow! That looks so great!''

But you see the fear in his eyes. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

Zorya wrote: »
    Also - and perhaps strangely - revealing clothes are easier for people who don't have big boobs, it looks elegant, and a lot less alarming :eek: than if the boobs are on the more large side. The ladies have inherited larger boobs in my family - thanks Granny! - and if I wear something even approaching low cut I look like I am either on the game or applying to serve beer at the Octoberfest. My dearest sister in law on the other hand can wear something where the neckline drifts down to her navel and look fabulous with the barest hint of bosom. She says to me, wear it! that she would show it off, but having people address your breasts all evening is absolutely horrible.

Absolutely! My sister and friends all have small chests and look fantastic in super low cut clothing. It can look really elegant on smaller chested women.

Meanwhile I wear a v-neck t-shirt and look like a hooker :pac:

SusieBlue wrote: »
    ...Or maybe they do it because they like how it looks?
    As someone who spends €50 a month on acrylics, believe me, I don't do it for the benefit of anyone but myself.

Do you really think women have so little to be worrying about that we go around our day to day lives analysing and judging the nails & haircut of every single woman we pass on the street?

One of my fellow commuters gets a "themed" manicure each week with gel nails - they look great and are for herself only. I just notice them cos they are brilliant!

Only time she ever did them for someone else was when Limerick won the hurling and they were green and white!

• Advertisement

As for who I dress for - it depends.

Going out with female friends, for them. I don't want to look frumpy in comparison. I also wear something that's comfortable though, for me.

For work, I wear whatever is comfortable, I don't care how I look.

For work events, I dress 100% for the attention of the higher ups. I choose what I'm wearing very carefully and I'm very careful to apply neutral makeup instead of the brighter stuff I'd normally choose. The aim is to look as professional as possible.

Day to day, for me. I wear what I feel comfortable in and what I know suits me because I like knowing I look well.

Absolutely! My sister and friends all have small chests and look fantastic in super low cut clothing. It can look really elegant on smaller chested women.

Meanwhile I wear a v-neck t-shirt and look like a hooker :pac:

Yeah that's one look I can't pull off, the low cut shirt! Part desperate ageing hooker, part Oktoberfest barmaid! Not a good look!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

There are a lot of good reasons to dress well being a man or a woman. People make decisions about each other in the first few seconds. I don't think it means you need to spend hours doing makeup or spend inordinate amounts of money but if you know how to make the most of what you have then even those claiming to be oblivious will be aware.

Yeah that's one look I can't pull off, the low cut shirt! Part desperate ageing hooker, part Oktoberfest barmaid! Not a good look!

I can wear it if I like because depending on the specific outfit, it can suit me. But I rarely do it because tbh I don't want the inevitable leering that comes with it. You could be a size 26 45 year old with warts and you'd still get men staring a bit too long if you have a rack and low cut clothes. So usually I cover it all up :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Shop40

If I wore all black every day of the week, my other half wouldn’t say a word. Also he thinks I have “a ton” of clothes! Which I don’t!
    When I think about it, I’m really dressing for other women (friends, family, colleagues) trying to make myself as attractive as I can to keep up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

I don’t know how some women afford all the grooming etc fair play

I can wear it if I like because depending on the specific outfit, it can suit me. But I rarely do it because tbh I don't want the inevitable leering that comes with it. You could be a size 26 45 year old with warts and you'd still get men staring a bit too long if you have a rack and low cut clothes. So usually I cover it all up :pac:

I'm a size 24 48 year old, and you still get the looks but not from the fit 20 something with stubble that was on the LUAS today!

I got the wierdo!!!

sasta le wrote: »
    I don’t know how some women afford all the grooming etc fair play

I spend more than I care to admit, but I justify it because I rarely drink, I don't smoke, and I don't have kids yet.
    Its like my hobby.
    There's a lot of money to be made in the beauty industry from people like me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I spend more than I care to admit, but I justify it because I rarely drink, I don't smoke, and I don't have kids yet.
    Its like my hobby.

That’s exactly it like. I know plenty of women for whom makeup is literally their hobby, or fashion or whatever else is just their hobby, it has nothing to do with wanting to appear any particular way to other people. It couldn’t because most of the time they’re trying out new looks in the comfort and privacy of their own home when there’s nobody else around to see them :D

Its like my hobby.

I work with a girl with a shoe collection that would make Imelda Marcos green with envy, but it's literally all she spends her money on so good luck to her.

Precious little to make you happy in this world, go for it!

• Advertisement

Its like my hobby.

And sure why not?

I don't spend a fortune on beauty products, but when I do buy makeup, it's always good quality, relatively expensive brands (kat Von d, Anastasia Beverly hills, stila, Estée Lauder).

Why not though? No guilt necessary. If we pay our bills and aren't in debt, we can spend our discretionary income as we choose. I spend a lot less on clothing and makeup than my friends do on booze so it's all good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Women are not a homogeneous mass.

pwurple wrote: »
    Women are not a homogeneous mass.

You've never seen me in my swimsuit! :D

Sorry that's "humungous" - as you were!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I don't go with that at all. Fast fashion is huge polluter and among the industries with the worst employment conditions. I love fashion I love clothes but if I'm buying something new then it better be something well made, that suits me well and I will wear a lot. I have similar attitude to beauty, especially because half of claims are complete con and an extra glass of water will make a lot more difference than a new must have serum. There is nothing I despise more than idea of shopping hauls, it's mindless consumption for people who are too lazy to go for a walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭Bredabe

This is not other women but it is me in terms of outside clothes.
    Appropriate for the event,
    WARM and Comfortable,
    Best shape/colour for me,
    In some circumstances, I factor in the pass remarkable types that are inevitable in my life,
    If I'm going somewhere nice with o/h or somewhere that reflects on him, I make the effort to look girlie. This also draws comments I've found, hence no's 2 and 3 are most used criteria.
    I know from experience my giving out about being cold/uncomfortable/sore feet isnt attractive, so I dont dress that way if I can help it.

99.9% of my underwear is decided on the day according to whats clean, comfortable and works with the outfit.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

mariaalice wrote: »
    Only sexy undies are worn for someone else to view and take off, the rest is about comfort unless its an occasion. I often envy men going to a wedding new shirt a nice tie and they are grand no more thinking about it.

Not even that sometimes.Same shirt and tie can be worn to numerous weddings as long as they are washed.No one will remember what a man wore to a particular wedding :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

I find the comments about men not caring what a woman wears interesting.

Sure a lot of men might tell you they don't care - but when a woman passes by wearing a well put together outfit that makes her look absolutely amazing they'd be giving themselves neck injuries to watch her pass by.

Its like saying I don't have any interest in cooking but still having a huge interest/appreciation for sitting down to eat really great food - its about the process and the end result isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Everything that we do leads back to our basic function as humans. We want to survive to reproduce and protect our young.

Like it or not ladies, you dress well to stand out from the herd to attract would be suitors to reproduce.

The same applies to the gentlemen. It's why you want a well paying job, why you spray your Eu de toilette, it's why you wear your hair in a specific way. It all leads back to reproduction.

Everything that we do leads back to our basic function as humans. We want to survive to reproduce and protect our young.

Like it or not ladies, you dress well to stand out from the herd to attract would be suitors to reproduce.

The same applies to the gentlemen. It's why you want a well paying job, why you spray your Eu de toilette, it's why you wear your hair in a specific way. It all leads back to reproduction.

What about women/men who are married, or who are done having children?
    Are they only well groomed because they're looking for a bit on the side or something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Or gay people.
    Mango Joe wrote: »
    I find the comments about men not caring what a woman wears interesting.

Sure a lot of men might tell you they don't care - but when a woman passes by wearing a well put together outfit that makes her look absolutely amazing they'd be giving themselves neck injuries to watch her pass by.

Its like saying I don't have any interest in cooking but still having a huge interest/appreciation for sitting down to eat really great food - its about the process and the end result isn't it?
    I think what's meant is that men don't give a **** whether the clothes the woman is wearing are in fashion, or whether she has had her nails manicured a certain way. Once she looks good, that's enough to a guy.

Advertisement