Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekender attendence

Options
  • 02-11-2018 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

One thing that seems noticeable this year is the drop in attendance at weekenders.

St Andrews saw numbers well done on last year.

Cork in its new calendar slot was well down on prior years and needed a late take up of circa 20 players from Gonzaga to get to respectable numbers.

Kilkenny, which would traditionally be the second highest attended of any year, behind Bunratty, looks to be well down on normal at this stage, with only 70 confirmed entrants 2 weeks out. I remember Maurice a few years ago referencing that Kilkenny had set a new attendance record and were full (well above 200). Indeed the bottom section in Kilkenny tended to have 80-100 competitors.

Sodacat has already mentioned the endangered 1900-2200 player, but what is causing the decline in general playing numbers at weekenders?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Retd.LoyolaCpt

City of Dublin - close to its record attendance. 18 + 61 + 38 + 53 = 170 vs 42+50+57+12=161 in 2017

Irish - record attendance across most events.

Limerick = 45+19=64 vs 46+26=72 in 2017.

Andrews: 6+42+39= 87 vs 19+45+36=100 in 2017.

Andrews was down for 2 reasons that they won't have to deal with next year. Gonzaga were at Eton (12 go to that + coaches and Daniel isn't there to bring his own lot or encourage them to go as much) and it clashed with the Olympiad. 12 players + the knock-on effect of the next level down players (2000s-2200s) now having to be the top seeds - but not getting terms (free entry) unlike the usual top seeds. They are scheduled to avoid Eton in 2019 and no Olympiad.

Cork were very happy with their numbers considering they took a year off, didn't have a date/venue until late and clashed with the Olympiad. They've got their provisional date in the calendar for next year and look forward to getting back to usual numbers.

Kilkenny (like Gonzaga and the City of Dublin) pick up a lot of entries in the week before rates go up. City of Dublin had 30 entries 10 days from the event and Gonzaga were in similar shape last year and ended up with 250. Unfortunately, with the date move, the event clashes with Gonzaga exams which does move the needle so only the past-pupils will be there without the 20-25 kids. But this was the case last year too and numbers were still around 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Retd.LoyolaCpt

Congestion in the September-October calendar obviously doesn't help either. But that's the cost of expansion in many respects.

COD
    Rapid+blitz/AGM
    Andrews
    Cork
    Millfield (for 50+ juniors)/Eton/Olympiad/ECC/World Youths
    Sona Junior Event
    Limerick
    First two rounds of the leagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Danville

Kilkenny attendance 2018 was 170 players, down about 30-40.

Reasons for this?

I think the following are pertinent:

The clash with Gonzaga School exams

The ongoing success of ICU chairman John Mc Morrow in arranging attractive events in the Dublin area.

The demise of junior chess in Munster perhaps?

Any ideas how we might turn it round?
    Open to all ideas.
    Reduce fees in Challengers section?

Does anyone care?

Is it time for Kilkenny to slip quietly away and let others take up the mantle?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Kilkenny is still one of the biggest and best tournaments in the country; it's hardly worth suggesting it should slip quietly away.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

There's talk of the clashing exams moving to a week later. If that happens, you'll get an extra 20 people next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

I would prefer Kilkenny at it's traditional date i.e the last weekend in November so that I could play there and in the Malta Open. If they continue to clash as they did this year I would opt for Malta whenever feasible. Sunshine, duty free shopping, boat tours etc and a FIDE rated event are a big attraction.
    Reducing Kilkenny to five rounds would make it more attractive too.

There's talk of the clashing exams moving to a week later. If that happens, you'll get an extra 20 people next year.

Kilkenny 2019 is likely to be Nov 22-Nov24
    Might consider holding Klikenny Masters in Malta in order to attract Sodacat.

Byes allowed in round four when they pair off.
    We always have an even number in all rounds of the Masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

Danville wrote: »
    Kilkenny 2019 is likely to be Nov 22-Nov24
    Might consider holding Klikenny Masters in Malta in order to attract Sodacat.
    I've heard worse ideas !
    You will be delighted to hear that if you are moving to Nov 22 I should be available for both Kilkenny and Malta.
    Probably my non participation in Kilkenny this year is one of the main reasons that the numbers dropped.
    Now about my idea of changing to 5 rounds???

Advertisement