Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrified of flying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

CruelCoin wrote: »
    I have a picture somewhere of the actual plane that went missing but i can't find it.

Appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Omackeral wrote: »
    Appropriate.

Wahey!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,019 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Because lets admit it lads, 16 million people a year don't go to Amsterdam to look at Ann-Franks ****ing attic

Took the Germans four years to find the place.

Even though there's signs for it f**king everywhere.

There is no future for Boards as long as it stays on the complete toss that is the Vanilla "platform", we've given those Canadian twats far more chances than they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I SURVIVED! Sadly my phone decided it didn't care for the local networks, but we have reconciled.

I made it largely due to the kindness of a lovely lady from Belfast. I was in the window seat, she was on the aisle, and together we ruined the flight of a young Dutchman who was seated in the middle.

Just man up and get on the plane please.
    You might want to have a ****

He was probably sitting on the bar stool in his local pub when he wrote the OP.

I am female, and I was on a bar stool in the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Why is everyone thinking the OP is a dude? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly sure she's a she.

Glad you survived OP. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

OP did you clap when the plane landed ?

OP did you clap when the plane landed ?

Did I ****. Before we left the gate the power cut out, and we sat there for an hour while they tried to start the plane. The captain came on with an almost offensively Dutch accent to tell us that a little bit in the tail which provides power while on the ground wasn't working, and that the power link to the terminal was also broken.. He said it was nothing to worry about, but I have seen enough Air Crash Investigation to know it's almost always some seemingly inconsequential thing that brings a plane down.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Did I ****. Before we left the gate the power cut out, and we sat there for an hour while they tried to start the plane. The captain came on with an almost offensively Dutch accent to tell us that a little bit in the tail which provides power while on the ground wasn't working, and that the power link to the terminal was also broken.. He said it was nothing to worry about, but I have seen enough Air Crash Investigation to know it's almost always some seemingly inconsequential thing that brings a plane down.

what they call a baptism of fire! Well done..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Cheers to that lady then. Distraction won't just get you through a flight.
    It'll get you through life itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

More reason to clap ? being so relieved and all ???

Also just imagine all the things that can take a car out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

I am female, and I was on a bar stool in the airport.

Do females not have **** then? :confused::eek::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Why is everyone thinking the OP is a dude? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly sure she's a she.

Not sure why, but I pictured a bloke too.

Now all she needs to do is enjoy her time in Amsterdam and try to forget that she has the whole terrifying experience to re-live in a few days time.

I wonder how much the odds have fallen on her next flight ending in disaster? Surely the more often you fly, the greater likelihood of eventually being in a crash?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Everyone on the internet is a man. Even the women.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Not sure why, but I pictured a bloke too.

Now all she needs to do is enjoy her time in Amsterdam and try to forget that she has the whole terrifying experience to re-live in a few days time.

I wonder how much the odds have fallen on her next flight ending in disaster? Surely the more often you fly, the greater likelihood of eventually being in a crash?

"the odds of a plane crash are one for every 1.2 million flights, with odds of dying one in 11 million" - some source i couldn't be arsed posting

• Registered Users Posts: 34,019 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

APU - Auxiliary power unit, a very small jet engine in effect. Used to run air conditioning etc. on the ground and start the main engines. Not usually used in flight.
    Without an APU or ground electrical power, they can use a compressed air truck to start the engines.
    There are 3 generators on board, one on each engine and the APU, 2 of which must be working. So they're allowed fly with no APU but would have to land immediately if one of the engine generators failed as well.
    Even if there was a total electrical failure then they have battery power for essential instruments etc. enough to carry out a landing.

So there's a backup, a backup to the backup, and an emergency procedure if those fail...

There is no future for Boards as long as it stays on the complete toss that is the Vanilla "platform", we've given those Canadian twats far more chances than they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

(S)He's in Amsterdam with the lads, likely getting the leg over while high as a mother****ing kite. (S)He won't be in a fit state to talk to anyone for a while.

Because lets admit it lads, 16 million people a year don't go to Amsterdam to look at Ann-Franks ****ing attic
    OP did you [get a dose of the] clap when the plane landed ?

*Fixed these :D

So, I am in the airport again. I took a figary that I wanted to see a band again after seeing them in Dublin. I am now questioning that decision.

Please excuse me bumping the thread, but I am low on coping mechanisms.

Thoughts, prayers, and smartarse comments for bodice please.

I seem to have left my headphones in the car. Can't deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

I have never been in a plane and am pretty sure I never will. I feel like it's the lack of control that gets me.

I've even dreamed of somehow getting over my fear of it and going on flights and being so satisfied and proud of myself... and then I wake up and I didn't do it. Or one time I dreamed the flight was fine... but then I had to go back again and I think it crashed on the way back or something.

It's a perfectly rational fear. It's actually irksome to me how websites try to portray it as some kind of horribly abnormal and irrational syndrome - it's NOT. I suspect those websites might be written in part by the airline industry (or parroted from something that was).

ok like, I know that there is an extremely low risk of death. However first of all the odds don't really show the whole picture as you usually (but not always) have to be doing something stupid in a car to die. Secondly, we do choose what risks we like to take and what ones we don't like to take all the time. If you have a fear of getting lung cancer you're likely to avoid paint fumes like the plague, even if the risk is incredibly low it's your choice to avoid it. We all balance risks all the time. What about people who buy lottory tickets in the hope they win? Going on an aeroplane journey is like buying a lottory ticket, but if you lose you die.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Very windy today Bodice, which is good as tomorrow I'm flying and it should be calm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 JazzJaquzzi

I seem to have left my headphones in the car. Can't deal.

You can buy replacement ones in an airport shop. Don’t bother with the more expensive ones though, as they all melt at the same rate during an explosion in the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Crashes on commercial airlines in Western countries are extremely rare now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Crashes on commercial airlines in Western countries are extremely rare now

Cold comfort to the few that did die though....

Their mangled faces scorched in agony as they tried in vain for a few desperate seconds to gather their thoughts before they were catapulted against the seat in front of them at 400mph..... lest we forget :(

Enjoy your flight OP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭Allinall

Make sure and sit at the very back of the plane.

I’ve yet to hear of one reversing into a mountain.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Allinall wrote: »
    Make sure and sit at the very back of the plane.

I’ve yet to hear of one reversing into a mountain.

That's because when a plane reverses in flight it makes that "beep beep beep" sound.

So the mountain knows to get out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Greyfox

It's a perfectly rational fear. It's actually irksome to me how websites try to portray it as some kind of horribly abnormal and irrational syndrome - it's NOT. I suspect those websites might be written in part by the airline industry (or parroted from something that was).

I don't think it is a rational fear. You have more chance of dying in the taxi going to the airport than dying in a plane crash. I'm not a fan or Ryanair but out of there millions of flights how many ended in a major plane crash? Zero there's about 1,000 other ways your more likely to die from

Greyfox wrote: »
    I don't think it is a rational fear. You have more chance of dying in the taxi going to the airport than dying in a plane crash. I'm not a fan or Ryanair but out of there millions of flights how many ended in a major plane crash? Zero there's about 1,000 other ways your more likely to die from

Still more like to die in a plane crash than win the Euromillions. Ever buy a ticket?

Anyway, you won't fall from 30000 feet in a car crash.

I have arrived. I am inordinately pleased with myself. I did consider not getting in the plane when it became clear that I had no headphones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Still more like to die in a plane crash than win the Euromillions. Ever buy a ticket?

Anyway, you won't fall from 30000 feet in a car crash.

I have arrived. I am inordinately pleased with myself. I did consider not getting in the plane when it became clear that I had no headphones.

Imagine winning the euromillions and then when you flew out to buy an 'island for Ireland' you were killed in the plane crash :D

Advertisement