Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co Manager/CEO.....is it a job for life...?

• 10-11-2018 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭

Just wondering does anyone know if co managers Keep position until retirement or do they have To go after a certain term...I think I recall someone saying that a number of years ago they put a ten year limit on a co managers tenure.? Michael Walsh locally has been there a good number of years now at a guess about 9/10.....does that mean he could be gone at end of this year....?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

I cant imagine public service job having a time limit per say. Cushy numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,758 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Just wondering does anyone know if co managers Keep position until retirement or do they have To go after a certain term...I think I recall someone saying that a number of years ago they put a ten year limit on a co managers tenure.? Michael Walsh locally has been there a good number of years now at a guess about 9/10.....does that mean he could be gone at end of this year....?
    They normally move around hoping to end up with one of the big ones, ie Dublin, Cork etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

alta stare wrote: »
    I cant imagine public service job having a time limit per say. Cushy numbers.

While this is a public service role, in the Civil Service the Secretaries General (who would be more senior than a County Council CEO) get seven year terms.

They don't have to leave after seven years, as some of them would be way too young for retirement, but they can move to another organisation and take on a role at the same level. The idea being that mobility is a good thing, and fresh ideas come with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭BBM77

In Michael Walsh’s case I hope it is for life.

Generally though, I don’t know how there could be a limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

hardybuck wrote: »
    While this is a public service role, in the Civil Service the Secretaries General (who would be more senior than a County Council CEO) get seven year terms.

They don't have to leave after seven years, as some of them would be way too young for retirement, but they can move to another organisation and take on a role at the same level. The idea being that mobility is a good thing, and fresh ideas come with it.

Make sense i guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭curmudgeonly

Seven years renewable as the OP states

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Seven years renewable as the OP states

Think CEO has to be approved by councillors...it's one of their few powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

BBM77 wrote: »

Generally though, I don’t know how there could be a limit.[/quote

Would the common view be that M. Walsh is one of the better ones we’ve had...?

Not old enough to remember anyone else really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

Most likely multiple iterations of Kenneally puppets. He didnt exactly have a tough target to surpass.

Michael Doody for about 900 years,an accountant balanced the books perfectly always, but absolutely nothing happened for years, he on his own held Waterford back for twenty years.
    Con Murray followed,good guy but had his eye always on a bigger job,.
    Eddie Breen then good guy, did some service but moved to WEX to be closer to home.
    Michael Walsh with his faults is far better for Waterford Inc, he may be ****e at balancing books n, but gets things done

• Advertisement

Michael Doody for about 900 years,an accountant balanced the books perfectly always, but absolutely nothing happened for years, he on his own held Waterford back for twenty years.
    Con Murray followed,good guy but had his eye always on a bigger job,.
    Eddie Breen then good guy, did some service but moved to WEX to be closer to home.
    Michael Walsh with his faults is far better for Waterford Inc, he may be ****e at balancing books n, but gets things done
    Working for one half of the population at least (haves) so 50% winning is an Irish positive.

engiweirdo wrote: »
    Working for one half of the population at least (haves) so 50% winning is an Irish positive.

What do you mean?

What do you mean?

Sitting on hands continuously with regard to housing crisis while finding avenues for funding for regeneration of business/commercial areas by any means possible.

As I say, doing an excellent job by any measure, for one section of the population while completely neglecting a significant portion of other responsibilities.

Sitting on hands continuously with regard to housing crisis while finding avenues for funding for regeneration of business/commercial areas by any means possible.

As I say, doing an excellent job by any measure, for one section of the population while completely neglecting a significant portion of other responsibilities.
    I hear what you are saying,but unless the City is blossoming none of what you speak of will never be done because of lack of resources.
    I would not agree nothing is being done as regards housing,there are a couple of schemes ongoing with s very large tranche of both private and public coming on stream in 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

Doing this....
    finding avenues for funding for regeneration of business/commercial areas by any means possible.
    Means that there will be more money in the Council's bank to deal with this...
    Sitting on hands continuously with regard to housing crisis

And also will create more jobs, which should reduce the amount of people with need housing assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

HelgaWard wrote:
    And also will create more jobs, which should reduce the amount of people with need housing assistance.
    [/QUOTE][/quote]

Will the rate of increase of the wages of the jobs created, match the more than likely increase of the rate of the cost of housing caused by this development, and will the rate of pay of many of these jobs created be enough to save for a deposit to buy a home?

HelgaWard wrote: »
    Doing this....

I am misquoted here

HelgaWard wrote: »
    Doing this....
    finding avenues for funding for regeneration of business/commercial areas by any means possible.
    Sitting on hands continuously with regard to housing crisis

A lot of the jobs created won't actually reduce need for housing assistance, certainly not as a result of the Applemarket- Arundel Square regeneration and even NQ will likely be limited enough in this regard.

Its been an ongoing thing now for years- completely un-used plaza on the quay, viking tri-angle increases tourist spend in Waterford Crystal environment but very little real employment benefit to city.

Basically the NQ HAS to work out or Mr Walshs legacy will be one of polishing the surface while the foundations collapsed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Engiweirdo
    Not another thread ruined by you going on about this nonsense.
    For god sake change the tune.

Engiweirdo
    Not another thread ruined by you going on about this nonsense.
    For god sake change the tune.

Yeah sure thing. I mean imagine discussing the record of the current position holder in a thread specifically about the position. The obscenity. Start a knitting group or something if you only want to hear opinions that agree with your own. Thats not really how discussion forums work.

• Advertisement

Yeah sure thing. I mean imagine discussing the record of the current position holder in a thread specifically about the position. The obscenity. Start a knitting group or something if you only want to hear opinions that agree with your own. Thats not really how discussion forums work.

Or giving out about a lack of social housing on another thread just cause you can't afford to buy a house
    I dont need/want to buy a house. I dont need a social house. Not every opinion held is directed by self interest, indeed I feel that's a major issue with how people act/vote in general.

I just dont feel the same level of effort and energy is devoted toward solving problems effecting the public good/welfare as is clearly being devoted to economic concerns under the present administration. And I include Michael Walsh in that every bit as much as Leo Varadkar.

Or take over another thread giving out about a lack of social housing, just cause you can't afford to buy a house.

Why don't you just get a bloody job, work hard, save, get a deposit and buy a house rather than expecting a free house from the council.

Or take over another thread giving out about a lack of social housing, just cause you can't afford to buy a house.

Why don't you just get a bloody job, work hard, save, get a deposit and buy a house rather than expecting a free house from the council.
    Ah there it is. The pig headed Irish "Why dont you just get a job". Let me guess, you: Mid 50s, walked into job after school, bought a house for the equivalent of about €20 in todays money, thinks the young crowd have it too handy these days.

Am I warm? Cos I think I'm bubbling tbh.

Ah there it is. The pig headed Irish "Why dont you just get a job". Let me guess, you: Mid 50s, walked into job after school, bought a house for the equivalent of about €20 in todays money, thinks the young crowd have it too handy these days.

Am I warm? Cos I think I'm bubbling tbh.

30s actually and still in negative equity but I'm not looking for handouts like some, I work hard and recognise when we have a great county manager such as we have at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Haven't heard anybody say anything bad about Michael Walsh, He seems to be doing great work to drive the City on.

Advertisement