Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rostrevor

Options
  • 12-11-2018 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

Thinking of heading up over next few weeks. Has anyone been? I assume it's worth the trip up? Any advice on how to approach the trails in terms of which to do, any to skip? - I'll have 1, maybe 2 days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭prunudo

steamsey wrote: »
    Thinking of heading up over next few weeks. Has anyone been? I assume it's worth the trip up? Any advice on how to approach the trails in terms of which to do, any to skip? - I'll have 1, maybe 2 days.

I went up with a friend who had been and was raving about it. I'd heard good things so was really looking forward to it. I didn't really look into the trails so unfortunately went on his word and did the long red loop, starts with a big long steep climb followed with more climbing. I'm glad I did it but found it hard to get into it, there was no flow or something to it, as soon as you had a nice downhill section with a bit rhythm you were climbing again, not big climbs just enough to break the momentum.

But, since I've been, I've looked into it more and if I went again I'd do the other trails and even make use of the up lift service to take the bite out of the first climb.
    After the 2hr drive and then straight into the climb killed my legs.

I've seen some ads on facebook lately from Davagh forest and it looks nice, bit further to travel than Rostrevor though.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

There are some really sweet trails that go down from the bins (they start behind the bins). There are three of them if I remember correctly. Other than that, the 2 downhill tracks are really good. You can take the uplift part of the way up if you don't fancy the very very very long climb!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Trailforks list/map of trails for rostrevor: link if that's any help to folks. Not yet been myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Cool - looking forward to the downhill tracks.

Just saw that the uplifts only run on weekends - how bad are the climbs? I don't mind climbing at all but would be disappointed if I spent too much of the day going uphill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

steamsey wrote: »
    Cool - looking forward to the downhill tracks.

Just saw that the uplifts only run on weekends - how bad are the climbs? I don't mind climbing at all but would be disappointed if I spent too much of the day going uphill.

First major climb is about 10-12 mins. Pretty steep up a fireroad. That gets you about half way up.

Then rest of the way up is less steep up through the trails.

That's if you're doing the main red or black loop's.

The orange downhill sections go from sort of half way up. Near the upper car park.

Possibly I really like the red loop.

Davaghs good as well, tarmac climbs to get up then flowing single track back down.

• Advertisement

Cheers. So maybe the uplifts are not essential. sounds like a normal enough climb to trail heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭youllbemine

I wouldn’t say it’s a normal enough climb, the first fire road is cruel and there’s a fairly long drag up the trails after that. if you’re unfit the climb to top of Slievemartin could ruin your day. Having said that it’s well worth doing-what I normally do is a full loop of the Red and then pay for a single uplift (£5) and do either On The Pulse, The Bins or Magic Carpet. Still a bit of a climb from the upper car park but the natural trails are too good to be missed. 2.5 hours on the red add 30 mins for downhill and back at the car. 5*

Well I went up on Saturday and it was great. Did the full day uplift so probably got about 12/13 runs in.

In terms of the downhill trails - On The Pulse and Mega Mission - On The Pulse was good - and after 3 runs was really enjoying it. Did Mega Mission once - had no idea how to approach it and couldn't find any flow. Some pretty high ramps leading up to table tops and was probably out of my league on that trail.

Did one longer spin around the red and bailed off onto the black as the bus driver had said it was pretty gnarly - but it was more XC than anything else but a nice spin still and savage views over the lake.

Met some really nice locals who showed us the bins. Man - one of them, I think it was bin 3 into a trail they called Jim'll Fix It - was really good. Lots of well placed switchbacks, tons of grip then flat out sections. Loved it and did about 4/5 runs around the bins. We found one trail near the bins that had two crazy jumps on a really steep section that clearly no one was doing as the trail was largely unridden - mad stuff and fair play to anyone who can do them.

Did one called the champs which was nice too and heard about magic carpet from locals but couldn't find it.

All in all a savage day's biking and will definitely be heading back up.

I'd say you'd defo need the uplift to get a good day's riding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭prunudo

Nice write up, seems the uplift is the way to go to make the most of it.
    Do they charge per up lift or is it a flat rate for the day or 1/2day?

Morning Uplift: 9.30am - 12.30pm £17.50
    Afternoon Uplift: 1.30pm - 4.00pm £15.00
    Single Uplift: £5 (To be purchased at Rostrevor Mountain Bike Centre)

https://www.eastcoastadventure.com/rostrevor-mountain-bike-centre/mountain-bike-hire-kilbroney-forest-park-red-bull-fox-hunt/

If you book the full day uplift the afternoon price of £15 above drops to £12 ish

Our last run was On The Pulse at 3.50pm and it was getting dangerously dark.

Overall - was pretty easy to find the unofficial trails and other than On the Pulse, they were the highlight of the trip - especially the bins area

Lads were saying that if you stick to Mega Mission and On the Pulse, you can get 20+ plus runs in a day as they are both only about 1.8km long and very close to uplift drop off point

• Advertisement
Advertisement