Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How was your session today?

• 17-10-2018 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm just getting back into archery now after a 10 year break.

In an effort to spring some life back into this forum how about we post how our training is going.

How about everyone post a scoring attempt and we can keep track of how we are improving. Whether its 5, 10 or 20 ends. Just say to yourself im going to score the next X rounds and post them here.

So today after 45 minutes of practicing I decided to score the next 10 ends to give myself a benchmark.

18 meters - Olympic Recurve - 10 ends = 162 (5.4 average per arrow).

Hopefully ill get back to my 8+ average from many years ago.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

nice idea.
    I just signed up for Nimes so really need to focus on shooting much much better. Will update this wednesday next when I shoot at a test comp. I dont have 18 meters to practise at so practise if just for form and constistant shooting at the moment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I haven't shot much competitively for about 5 years. I've been battling Target Panic so shooting is more about being able to shoot comfortably than considering scores. Helping to run a club, helping at Beginners courses and then induction into the club has severely restricted my practice time resulting in loss of bow fitness which has not helped the TP. Consequently practice is more about fitness and mental form than worrying about scores.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I havent scored anything recently.

My last few sessions ive been focusing on my anchor point and release and not paying too much attention to where the arrow is going. Finding it hard to be consistent with my anchor point.

My next session will be tomorrow. Ill score 10 ends and see where im at.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Don't be afraid to experiment with anchor. Your real anchor point is in your back so sort that first and along the way note the facial references. Things may have changed with your anatomy while you were stopped shooting so getting that sorted before tuning/scoring is doing it in the right order. That a look at archery on YouTube and note the variety of anchors. Ideally you need a hard tissue reference in all three axises.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

18 meters - Olympic Recurve - 10 ends = 187 (6.2 average per arrow).

Was doing very well apart from the last two ends where I got a 12 and a 9. Shockingly bad, killed my average. Was tired. The stamina isn't there yet.

• Advertisement

Got my new bow delivered today. Dont need to use club equipment anymore yay. Got it sencond hand on eBay and has almost never been shot.

70" Bow .
    25" SF Forged + Riser
    32lbs Core Ignite limbs.
    8 x Easton XX75 arrows

Looking forward to shooting with it but unfortunately sick at the moment. Booo!!

Your own will help but it takes a while to really tune it to yourelf. Enjoy!

Adam Grant

So spent 3 hours shooting and tuning the new bow today.
    Went from completely missing the boss a few times to a reasonable grouping.

I got tired so stopped. No point in tuning when tired and not shooting with good form.

18 meters - Olympic Recurve - 10 ends = 193 (6.4 average per arrow).

Slightly higher score than last time but shot worse.
    The higher poundage of the bow is tiring. I need to hit the gym to get some strength and stamina.

Do some drawing and holding exercises at home. Start with a few held for a short time and work up. A fortnight would see a big difference.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement

greysides wrote: »
    Do some drawing and holding exercises at home. Start with a few held for a short time and work up. A fortnight would see a big difference.

I'll give that a go. It seems to be my biggest flaw at the moment.

At the start of the session I was grouping in the yellow but after 6+ ends it fell apart.

18 meters - Olympic Recurve - 10 ends = 169 (5.6 average per arrow).

Shocking.

I've been working on stamina and I think it's improving, but developing a serious case of target panic. Find it so hard to just sit on the yellow and decide when to release. I'm reading almost automatically when I'm roughly near the yellow.

Focus less on aiming and score and completely on shot sequence. Practice 'no-shoot' drills, coming to full draw and just seeing the yellow through the sight. Hold for a while then let-down. Increase repetitions and holding time slowly, over days and weeks. DO NOT RELEASE!
    Forget totally about scoring.

Your physical shot sequence needs a parallel mental thought process. One that puts very little emphasis on aiming. That is already programmed into your brain so focus on what isn't. Distract your aiming thoughts into something useful, like back tension.

When you can again hold on the yellow it will be time to think about a clicker as release trigger but you must be able to draw consistently to your drawlength leaving approximately 3mm for expansion through the clicker. You release on the click.

Seek help from a coach or an experienced archer. If necesary a sports physcologist.

Adam Grant

Sounds like a good idea with the drawing and not shooting thing. I might have to put something valuable on the target face to give motivation to hold. Haha.

Basically, if you start, you don't shoot at all until you can hold on the yellow without fuss.

Adam Grant

The key is what you think about.

Adam Grant

Stuck a target up at home at the end of my hallway and practiced drawing and aiming without an arrow for extra encouragement not to release.

Drew and held for 10 seconds on the yellow about 30 times with 30 second break between draws and occasional 5 minute breaks. Didn't have any issues doing it. So it's purely psychological once there is an arrow in the bow and looking at an actual target.

That's why it has to have a psychological solution. The holding builds strength so the brain has no concerns there and the letting down let's it know who is in command.
    Next you will need a shot trigger ie you hold until your shot trigger activates. With recurve that's the click of the clicker as a result of expansion.
    But that's for later. Keep up the holding exercises. When you've done them for twice as long as you think necessary, move on to the next step. Along the way build your Mental Process, the sequence of thoughts that pair with the actions. They must be consistent too.

Adam Grant

my last session sucked. It seems that when I training my shot sequence is going great but once I'm in a club environment It all goes to hell. Need to work on tuning out distractions.

my last session sucked. It seems that when I training my shot sequence is going great but once I'm in a club environment It all goes to hell. Need to work on tuning out distractions.

If you train alone most of the time i can see how being in a club and people watching you might have an impact.

Maybe try going to the club more often until you are comfortable there and get to know the people.

• Advertisement

Ironically its the fact that I'm completely at ease and having a chat and a banter that is throwing off my sequence. If I were to go full introvert and just shoot completely in my own headspace I think it would be fine.

Just something I need to work in, Its these little challanges that make it all so much fun.

Ironically its the fact that I'm completely at ease and having a chat and a banter that is throwing off my sequence. If I were to go full introvert and just shoot completely in my own headspace I think it would be fine.

Just something I need to work in, Its these little challanges that make it all so much fun.

Ya sometimes having a too casual an atmosphere will effect things negatively.

A few weeks ago our club had a group of complete novices in for a lesson and the coach asked me to demonstrate with a few arrows. I was having a horrible session but managed to get the 4 arrows in the 8+ area in a nice group. A bit of pressure works wonders.

Better today.

Spent the whole session shooting at a small square of yellow paper. While still struggling to hold on the yellow fully, it is improving. Have to keep talking to myself in my head saying "don't realease"

Towards the end of my session it was suggested to me that I try shooting at one of the short range targets and see if I had the same problems.

Strangely I had no issues holding on the yellow when the target was only 3 meters away.

Better session today. Able to hold longer on the yellow and more consistent shots.

Stamina also improving. Did a 3 hour session today.

Down side, my sight kinda broke. Not completely but lost the ability to adjust the sight without a screwdriver. Need to see if I can find some parts for it online.

We had a little fun competition in the club last week.

Teams of 3 made up of compound, recurve and bare bow.

10 ends of 3 arrows each in 2 minutes followed by a round robin with 1 arrow each and 20 seconds to shoot.

It's amazing how stressful it is when someone is counting down those 20 seconds.

Was a lot of fun even tho I shot terribly.

Sounds like fun. Time yourself shooting normally. I bet 20 seconds gives you ample time when you're not thinking about it.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    Sounds like fun. Time yourself shooting normally. I bet 20 seconds gives you ample time when you're not thinking about it.

Oh ya 20 seconds is plenty of time but just the countdown was terrible. But that was part of the fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭MrTime

just wondering if those scores are at 120 cm . 80 cm targets or smaller

• Advertisement

MrTime wrote: »
    just wondering if those scores are at 120 cm . 80 cm targets or smaller

40cm

Advertisement