Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters in Aviation Management

Options
  • 11-11-2018 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Considering doing the masters in aviation management in DCU with a view to becoming a pilot afterwards (hopefully via the aer lingus cadet programme).

My concern is that this masters seems to be geared at management in the aviation industry, rather than actually becoming a commercial pilot.

Anyone know if this would this course be a good move?

link to course details: https://www.dcu.ie/courses/Postgraduate/dcubs/MSc-Management-Aviation-Leadership.shtml

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

If you really want to become a pilot, then investigate all the routes to becoming a pilot and not just via the cadet scheme. learning how to be a manager comes later.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Glen Immal

Can you share the cost of this course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 newnamexx

Stovepipe, has knocked around this business for a long time. Ignore his advice at your peril. Yes an aviation management course might help. It won't do any damage but you don't need it to be a pilot. Great if you have future ambitions

It really won't help much with the Aer Lingus scheme. They have specific requirements. If you fit with their requirements. You're golden. If not .,...
    Not getting an Aer Lingus cadetship isn't the end of the world. Other airlines are available even the dreaded Ryanair.

Pilots become managers in airlines when they are usually experienced pilots with some time as Captains under the belts. They fulfil roles which have management functions such as Fleet Captains (on a Type), training captains (line and simulator), Route management, Safety, Flight operations, ground operations, ongoing training of cadets and so on. Some management roles for pilots are part-time, ie, the incumbent is also a full time pilot and might have a day off his flying roster per week to see to his other duties. In some cases, the role is full-time and the pilot flies just enough to stay current and keep his ratings valid. In some cases, pilots who are medically grounded can move sideways to fill a management slot until they are fit to fly again. Apart from pilots being managers, there are dozens of other management roles in airlines, which are, like the pilot manager roles, tied to the discipline, ie maintenance managers are qualified engrs; avionics maintenance managers are qualified avionics engrs. and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Glen Immal

Education institutes often attract fee paying students with these type of courses, that don’t actually qualify the student to work in the industry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Glen Immal wrote: »
    Education institutes often attract fee paying students with these type of courses, that don’t actually qualify the student to work in the industry.

You will graduate essentially with a masters inbusiness (having focused on the aviation sector)
    The question is do you want to be an airline pilot or an airline manager. The latter would be open to you with a bog standard business mgmt degree or masters.
    Having a masters in mgmt doesn’t make you a better cadet candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Just about every one of our management pilots has completed an MBA. Some would have joined as cadets with a bachelor degree prior others with no third level qualification. Some go through the union route (eg: Willy Walsh) and others the training department then skip across into management. I don't know if any have embarked on these "Aviation" type degrees. If you want to be a manager then do a commerce/law or accounting degree. If you want to fly then do the same so that you have something to fall back on if/when you lose your medical or you fail to get a job as a pilot. Once you have your degree then become a pilot if thats still what you want although your timing is quiet possibly off as fuel is increasing which generally means we are due a downturn.

@basill, that's just the bar being raised from merely having a degree (in anything), on top of the CPL/ATPL, to become a manager to having an added Masters or an MBA to become a manager. Most organisations have a point where advancement requires a degree as a minimum; airlines tended to be a bit slow off the mark in that regard as the people who did the most exams (engineers and pilots) tended to have had enough studying to last them a lifetime and more often than not, it was employees who were not pilots or engineers who went for degrees as a leg up. Nowadays, as basill says, it would be rare for a senior pilot not to have a degree, especially if he wants an indoors job. It has also become quite the fashion for line/hangar engineers to go and get degrees, as a full B1 or B2 will get you a dramatic reduction in the length of time it takes to do a degree and it also opens more doors to jobs outside airlines (as most employers haven't a clue what a B1/B2 is, or the level of effort it takes to get it).

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Hi guys,

OP here, Thanks very much for the feedback. I have no interest in the management side of it (currently in final year of business studies & German in TCD) but I really want to be a pilot. The only reason I mentioned the masters in aviation management was because I read that a background in aviation was helpful when applying to the Aer Lingus cadet programme as it shows you have an interest in the aviation sector. The training seems to cost in and around 100k and I don't have access to that money.

I was thinking about saving up maybe 20-30k and then trying to get a loan for the rest of it. The Aer Lingus cadet programme is obviously the dream and that's what I'm focused on at the minute. If anyone has any experience or tips for getting onto the programme it would be great. A few of ye here seem to have good knowledge of the industry so I have a question for ye - I'm 21, in final year of college and I want to be a commercial airline pilot, preferably with Aer Lingus. What are the best steps I should take to ensure I get there ahead of other candidates?

Thank you all very much, I really appreciate the help!

there is no hard and fast way to beat other candidates; be well prepared by having a thorough knowledge of the basic history of the company, what they fly, where they fly, how they operate as part of IAG, what a pilot actually does as his/her day job (you'd be surprised how many candidates haven't a grasp of how a pilot's rostered day works/how many hours a year they fly/how they operate as part of the greater team). Also, get a couple of hours under your belt in a training aircraft, so that when they ask you how an aileron works, you will have first hand experience. Do the basic tech preparation so that you know how a jet engine works/why airliners are pressurised/why they fly so high....this can be found on the Internet so do some sample questions............Aer Lingus pays for all the training, unlike other cadet schemes, which require partial student funding. Educationally, Aer Lingus recruits across a broad spectrum, so you will get Leaving Cert holder alongside Phd holder. Most importantly, you need to show evidence of being a team player/operating in a team environment. Get yourself a medical to prove that you can pass a Class 1. You may have an underlying medical issue that rules you out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

The training seems to cost in and around 100k and I don't have access to that money.

Your training will cost approx €45k to €50k to go from zero hours flown through to CPL / MEIR / MCC certified and ready to apply to airlines - if you go the modular route and are smart about your choices. So in the event you don't win the cadet lottery, it won't be nearly as expensive (but still bloody expensive) as you imagine to fulfil your dream. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Hi guys,

OP here, Thanks very much for the feedback. I have no interest in the management side of it (currently in final year of business studies & German in TCD) but I really want to be a pilot. The only reason I mentioned the masters in aviation management was because I read that a background in aviation was helpful when applying to the Aer Lingus cadet programme as it shows you have an interest in the aviation sector. The training seems to cost in and around 100k and I don't have access to that money.

I was thinking about saving up maybe 20-30k and then trying to get a loan for the rest of it. The Aer Lingus cadet programme is obviously the dream and that's what I'm focused on at the minute. If anyone has any experience or tips for getting onto the programme it would be great. A few of ye here seem to have good knowledge of the industry so I have a question for ye - I'm 21, in final year of college and I want to be a commercial airline pilot, preferably with Aer Lingus. What are the best steps I should take to ensure I get there ahead of other candidates?

Thank you all very much, I really appreciate the help!

The masters course at DCU isn't cheap, if you want to be a pilot you're better off putting that money towards your license. Only do the masters in DCU if you have a genuine interest in management/business studies, you won't be looking at planes and any aviation stuff you do is analysing financial statistics or emissions and that type of stuff - if you've just got a burning desire to fly this may be a painful waste of cash.

It is very good though for those (pilots or otherwise) that want to prop up their cv to rise within their current company or switch to a more senior role in another company. The lecturers are very knowledgeable and have more than enough experience.

Advertisement