Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LBS wont service Bikes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Thomyokk

py wrote: »
    I experienced similar about 15-20 years ago with motorcycle shops. Seems that a lot of the shops were family run business and all knew each other from the racing scene so didn't want to take business from each other. Dunno if it's still the case. Haven't come across it in the cycling world as I either do my own or drop it in to Beecycles.

I grew up in a retail environment

It was pretty much frowned upon everywhere when people brought in items purchased elsewhere for repair

It's prob not the norm now with the widespread availability of bikes and repair shops

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Surprising the LBS wont service it but thats their call at the end of the day.

OP another option is to google mobile bike mechanics in your area. There are a good few lads now doing this, they come in a van and repair the bike at your place (or take it away and return if it is a longer repair).

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If I wanna buy a bike for say gravel riding I want to see a range of options from as many big names as possible, not just Giant say as that's what the LBS stocks. Thus Cycle Superstore or similar. The market can't bare every shop to be a CS so the sales business is gonna centralize to the wiggle/crc group (as they buy everything) and one or two large retailers.

LBSs need to focus on service and not gouging on parts. I'm fortunate to be surrounded by LBSs but my primary one is very well known and charges 40%+ more than normal web price for common Shimano bits. If it we're 10-15% I'd give em more business but being ripped just drives me to get up and work in the cold garage.

Another LBS is plain incompetent and I'm not sure how they're in business still.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

ED E wrote: »

LBSs need to focus on service and not gouging on parts.

LBS's are being gouged by the suppliers so take it up with them. One of mine told me he can sell me anything I want etc etc, but he has to buy Mavic from their official distributer, same for Shimano etc. They charge more than the consumer can generally get them from online.

One of the mobile mechs/lbs/sellers had to stop selling a certain brand as the distributer discovered they didn't have a physical shop. Now he, was selling plenty of them, arguably more than many traditional LBS sell as he went directly to companies, offices etc, plus he had a website but the distributer didn't like how they didn't have a single physical place.

Competing with online is one option. But so long as the distributer model is like it is, then LBS are always going to struggle at that end. In the common market, they shouldn't have to.

Some of the better LBSs might see value in getting together co-op style and buying parts at a much reduced rate, but it only takes one to feck it up then I guess for the rest.

That's not to say that there are not rip offs happening (there are) but it's not nearly as straightforward.

That's tough on the proprietors but really isn't the consumers problem.

Consumer just sees outrageous pricing and puts the part into Google. The savings on one chainring alone can be many many coffees in Wicklow.

PS: Wonder how specialized got away with working from a 40ft in terms of their distribution relationship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I really don’t see why the local LBS gets defended so much by cyclists.
    I’ve never found their customer service any better than what you’d get from an employee from Tesco or Lidl.
    To me, they want your money so it’s no different than any other business.
    I use them when I need them but if I can avoid giving them my money I will.
    I know some clubs are affiliated to them so some build up personal relationships with them but I’ve yet to meet someone working in one that has done me a solid as they say.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I think this was the reason a LBS I used to go to (moved, nothing personal) openly stated they enjoyed CRC etc. as they were charging labour, no arguments on part prices, no middle men, just the labour and that was that. I think I said it before, the number of people bringing in the wrong parts turned many a new customer into a loyal one who just bought from them anyway after their first expensive mistake.

I really don’t see why the local LBS gets defended so much by cyclists.
    I’ve never found their customer service any better than what you’d get from an employee from Tesco or Lidl.
    To me, they want your money so it’s no different than any other business.
    I use them when I need them but if I can avoid giving them my money I will.
    I know some clubs are affiliated to them so some build up personal relationships with them but I’ve yet to meet someone working in one that has done me a solid as they say.

Depends on the LBS to be honest. There are ones in Dublin whose name I'd drag through the mud and stand over it, but there are others who I feel deserve my business as they have earned it. unlike Tesco or LIDL, they went the extra mile when it wasn't required and I feel loyal to them for t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

CramCycle wrote: »
    Depends on the LBS to be honest. There are ones in Dublin whose name I'd drag through the mud and stand over it, but there are others who I feel deserve my business as they have earned it. unlike Tesco or LIDL, they went the extra mile when it wasn't required and I feel loyal to them for t.
    I honestly can’t say I’ve had a bad experience with any bike shop in Dublin but like I said I can’t ever remember anything special.
    Similar to my shopping trips for groceries.

That's tough on the proprietors but really isn't the consumers problem.

Consumer just sees outrageous pricing and puts the part into Google. The savings on one chainring alone can be many many coffees in Wicklow.

PS: Wonder how specialized got away with working from a 40ft in terms of their distribution relationship.

I was more countering your accusation that LBS are gouging customers which is unfair. They're being gouged themselves and quite possibly making less per part sold than places like CRC, Wiggle etc.

• Advertisement

Thomyokk wrote: »
    I grew up in a retail environment

It was pretty much frowned upon everywhere when people brought in items purchased elsewhere for repair

It's prob not the norm now with the widespread availability of bikes and repair shops

I suppose it depends really on what area you work in. I grew up half way across the country, when I came to Dublin I brought my bike, bought half way across the country with me. Can you imagine the ridiculousness if every bike shop said no as I didn't buy it off them. Fine for them if they don't need the business but when a recesion hits, they will either change their tune or feel the consequences.

In regards car, you can understand dealers etc. As they may have restricted access to parts or a contract with the brand, but a run of the mill garage with mechanics would be insane to refuse business that wasn't originally bought from them.

White goods you can understand for the same reason, a repairman may be contracted to Miele or similar, and thats that, same with the shop, but Joe Soap my local electrician or plumber will either do it or apologise that they cannot get that brands parts, anything else and they won't last long.

Many types of retail don't like repairs because it is not what they are set up for, retail typically do one of two things, either talk you into accepting it, or return to the brand for warranty, out of warranty, they send you straight to the brand, even though legally you could argue for them to repair or replace at source, most customers don't understand their rights.

I imagine you will see that it is mainly a show shop and does not undercut their LBSs
    Weepsie wrote: »
    I was more countering your accusation that LBS are gouging customers which is unfair. They're being gouged themselves and quite possibly making less per part sold than places like CRC, Wiggle etc.
    It's crazy. Reminds me of when I worked in a bar and it was cheaper to go to Tesco for a bottle of any spirit than it was through the distributor. One of my locals used to buy their Christmas drinks form Tesco so he could afford to be extra generous to customers.

I imagine you will see that it is mainly a show shop and does not undercut their LBSs

Talking about long before the current premises.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

In regards car, you can understand dealers etc. As they may have restricted access to parts or a contract with the brand, but a run of the mill garage with mechanics would be insane to refuse business that wasn't originally bought from them.
    yep, it's one thing to ask a toyota garage to work on a gearbox in a mercedes, quite another thing to ask an LBS who sell trek (who put shimano running gear on their bikes) to deal with a lapierre with shimano running gear.

Talking about long before the current premises.
    I know nothing about this so can't comment, but don't like specialized so happy to sling mud wherever needed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

happy to sling mud wherever needed
    i didn't know you were a CX rider?

Specialized may have been very happy with the arrangement. This was a completely different brand who just pulled their bikes from a seller, despite very strong sales by all accounts. It might not have been the distributer, but the brand management themselves. Another brand had no problem replacing them immediately

LBSs need to focus on service and not gouging on parts. I'm fortunate to be surrounded by LBSs but my primary one is very well known and charges 40%+ more than normal web price for common Shimano bits. If it we're 10-15% I'd give em more business but being ripped just drives me to get up and work in the cold garage.

The crazy thing about this is they could likely buy the parts from Wiggle and charge you the 10-15% extra and still come out ahead on what they would pay suppliers !!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Not standard practice but understandable if they have enough business

Look after their own buyers first

I hope you don't run a business. IMO, a shop should never turn away work like servicing. The next time they buy a bike, where's the first place they'll go?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

The crazy thing about this is they could likely buy the parts from Wiggle and charge you the 10-15% extra and still come out ahead on what they would pay suppliers !!!!
    would there not be issues with them legally then being second hand and/or warranty issues?

• Advertisement

Brian? wrote: »
    I hope you don't run a business. IMO, a shop should never turn away work like servicing. The next time they buy a bike, where's the first place they'll go?

Ah here, I hope you don't run a business either blah blah blah childish comments

It all depends on the business model and circumstances whether they want the extra maintenance or not, there's no such thing as never in business imo.

would there not be issues with them legally then being second hand and/or warranty issues?

Oh probably, I was thinking more hypothetically.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

There are a few good reason for supporting your LBS, but surely one everyone can agree with is that there are limits to how many maintenance and repair jobs you can do yourself. Wiggle aren't going to install a new headset for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Brian? wrote: »

I assume the bike shop is busy enough that they don't care.

I don't go to the bike shop unless it's something I can't do myself out don't have the time. Normal stuff I do myself. Also any work at the lbs takes forever. So if I drop the bike in the I most likely won't have it back for a week or more.

beauf wrote: »

I don't go to the bike shop unless it's something I can't do myself out don't have the time. Normal stuff I do myself. Also any work at the lbs takes forever. So if I drop the bike in the I most likely won't have it back for a week or more.

They could be busy enough on maintenance from their existing sales base and don't want to expand the business etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

beauf wrote: »

I am largely on the side that the LBS missed an opportunity here. It is much easier hold on to customers than attract new ones so ordinarily they would welcome service work and a chance to build a relationship.

But, there are situations where it might be understandable. (This is in no way aimed directly at you OP but just adding something to the general conversation).

I know of one situation where an individual went to an LBS and got advice on component parts. They then went and ordered them online. They then went and asked the LBS would they fit them to the bike if they brought in the parts and the bike. They asked (pressured) that the bike be ready in 2 days as it was a birthday gift. The shop did it because the attendant was friends with the guy ultimately getting the gift but they were extremely ticked off over it.

I'd say the next person who walked in asking for assistance on a bike they bought elsewhere could have gotten a fairly short answer.

We are all humans, sometimes there is fault on either side of the counter (again not aimed at you OP).

Ah here, I hope you don't run a business either blah blah blah childish comments

It all depends on the business model and circumstances whether they want the extra maintenance or not, there's no such thing as never in business imo.

It was hardly childish. But apologies for any offence caused.

If your business model includes turning away business, then it needs to be changed. Take the work, figure out how to fit it in. You may not make much out of the service but it considering it paying ahead for future business.

they/them/theirs

They could be busy enough on maintenance from their existing sales base and don't want to expand the business etc.

I don’t get this at all. There is a natural reduction in existing customers over time, it can only go down if you don’t engage with new customers. They may buy their next bike from you because you’ve formed a relationship. They may not and it’s cost you nothing.

they/them/theirs

I

I know of one situation where an individual went to an LBS and got advice on component parts. They then went and ordered them online. They then went and asked the LBS would they fit them to the bike if they brought in the parts and the bike. They asked (pressured) that the bike be ready in 2 days as it was a birthday gift. The shop did it because the attendant was friends with the guy ultimately getting the gift but they were extremely ticked off over it.
    Most bike shops would charge for the fitting and labour, so unless they done it for free, then they didn't lose out. The shop could have turned around and said no problem but it might be more than two days, for all we know it might have taken a bit longer for the shop to get in the parts. If it was me, I'd tell them I can't promise anything but would try. If they get panicky, maybe you can get one of the mechanics to stay late but that labour costs would be more and your out the door.

It sounds more like the LBS is irked a supposed friend took advantage and they let them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Most bike shops would charge for the fitting and labour, so unless they done it for free, then they didn't lose out. The shop could have turned around and said no problem but it might be more than two days, for all we know it might have taken a bit longer for the shop to get in the parts. If it was me, I'd tell them I can't promise anything but would try. If they get panicky, maybe you can get one of the mechanics to stay late but that labour costs would be more and your out the door.

It sounds more like the LBS is irked a supposed friend took advantage and they let them.

Well, yes, that is my point........

But if such an event occurred, what version would the customer tell other people? That the shop explained logically the cost and time element or simply that they asked and were told no.
    We all view things subjectively.

Advertisement