Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Higher Diploma in Data-Analytics

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭ Logan Brave Watchtower

Happy to send you the notes for the first few lectures from this year if you like

A fellow colleague from the course. Hello there.

How goes your year end project?
    Seems like an old enough thread but hopefully you guys can help. Ive just been accepted for this course Higher Diploma in Data Analytics in NCI. I have no coding knowledge or background, but I am up for the challenge, any advice on how to get the basics of Python, R or SQL down? Is there any watchable youtube videos, clear blogs or even books you would recommend?

The SQL side of the course is extremely basic. Look for online course that is free that covers "select, update, delete, insert" and joins. These are the mainstays of what the course will cover.

For Python and R; I would focus again on any free course that shows you the basics of receiving input from the command line, reading and writing csv files and then general string manipulation. This will give you a good head start till you reach the more intermediate stuff.

Do not skip straight to the intermediate stuff as you'll only hamstring yourself. Do plenty of exercises that require you to build loops, reading and writing to files. Do this till you're comfortable with the process and can code it out of your head without looking at source material.
    Do the lecturers hand physical notes out in class or is in all electronic?

All electronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 slugger_otoole

A fellow colleague from the course. Hello there.

How goes your year end project?

Struggling along with it as we speak :D

Took some holidays this term so i'm a bit behind, should be finished on time though. I found motivation harder to come by this term than in previous ones!

How about you?

Struggling along with it as we speak :D

Took some holidays this term so i'm a bit behind, should be finished on time though. I found motivation harder to come by this term than in previous ones!

How about you?

Haha. I'm sure your motivation will pick up the closer the date comes to December 7. I feel the same as you too, this year has been somewhat rough especially with that no break between Semester 1 and Semester 2. Thanks Snowmageddon! :mad:

My project is progressing well. The main part is done and the report is moving along well enough.

We get to select our presentation time slots this coming Monday. No idea what to do for the presentation though. Just read the report, Enda! It says everything.

My project is progressing well. The main part is done and the report is moving along well enough.

In that case you're way ahead of me!

We get to select our presentation time slots this coming Monday. No idea what to do for the presentation though. Just read the report, Enda! It says everything.

I think the presentation will be easy enough, and it's worth such a tiny percentage of the project anyway. That's the least of my worries right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Happy to send you the notes for the first few lectures from this year if you like

Just be aware that you do not have permission to share the lecture notes. The college holds the rights to the notes sharing them can be considered piracy. You can be kicked off the course, or have your degree revoked if you are caught sharing the lecturers notes.

• Advertisement

GarIT wrote: »
    Just be aware that you do not have permission to share the lecture notes. The college holds the rights to the notes sharing them can be considered piracy. You can be kicked off the course, or have your degree revoked if you are caught sharing the lecturers notes.

Thanks for the heads up

Seems like an old enough thread but hopefully you guys can help. Ive just been accepted for this course Higher Diploma in Data Analytics in NCI. I have no coding knowledge or background, but I am up for the challenge, any advice on how to get the basics of Python, R or SQL down? Is there any watchable youtube videos, clear blogs or even books you would recommend?
    Do the lecturers hand physical notes out in class or is in all electronic?
    Wish I knew someone who has already done this course so I could read over the first couple of weeks of notes they get.

Remembered about this now.

https://www.udemy.com/the-data-science-course-complete-data-science-bootcamp/

This course from Udemy is remarkably close to what you will learn during the course. Take a look, I'm sure you'll find it useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Black Pearl

Remembered about this now.

https://www.udemy.com/the-data-science-course-complete-data-science-bootcamp/

This course from Udemy is remarkably close to what you will learn during the course. Take a look, I'm sure you'll find it useful.

Thanks so much!

Just wondering if any of you guys applied to the course had to fill out an RPEL form? My god its ridiculously long!

hey , has anyone finished the course in NCI and happen to have any used books for sale?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

hey , has anyone finished the course in NCI and happen to have any used books for sale?

The library has a good stock of the ones you’ll need. I’m heading in to the thesis part of the masters now and never had an issue apart from the statistics book but if you are quick off the mark you’ll get it.
    I ended up buying the statistics book (not sure if you’ll need the same for the higher diploma).
    Do you have a list yet?

Nelbert wrote: »
    The library has a good stock of the ones you’ll need. I’m heading in to the thesis part of the masters now and never had an issue apart from the statistics book but if you are quick off the mark you’ll get it.
    I ended up buying the statistics book (not sure if you’ll need the same for the higher diploma).
    Do you have a list yet?

Ah thanks very much. Yeah its Statistics by James T. McClave. wouldnt mind buying it and I need the R Cookbook too. That is all I think so far. Thank you for the reply :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Ah thanks very much. Yeah its Statistics by James T. McClave. wouldnt mind buying it and I need the R Cookbook too. That is all I think so far. Thank you for the reply :D

Ok, I’ve a different stats book so no use to you there.

I’d highly recommend datacamp.com for learning R.
    If you do the programming, analyst and scientist skill / career tracks you’ll have a huge head start (and it’s learn by doing type of thing).

I found the Advanced Data Mining module we did a hell of a lot easier as a result of this.
    I also did the Harvard professional certificate modules on edX.org
    The first 4 modules are actually delivered via datacamp. A lot of the learning overlaps but you reinforce it really well by solving all the different problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Habata wrote: »
    I'm doing the post grad version of this course and I think it's a joke and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The standard is low, the teaching resources limited, there's useless and superfluous modules. I take it that Springboard is just an easy way to get government cash and tick a few boxes. I feel like I've learned little. Highly unimpressed with the NCI in general.

I got kicked out of a group project a week before it was due because my teammate decided to pay someone to do it for her and don't want me to be in her group so submitted the project alone. Lecturer and college ignored my emails and didn't give a ****. I have written proof of plagerism by someone they awarded a master's to and all they said is "so?"

NCI is a complete joke, money grabbing cnuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭otterj

Those of you who have done the one year course, how tough was it ?
    How do-able is it with a full time job?

also would a i3 4gb ram laptop suffice for this course?

otterj wrote: »
    Those of you who have done the one year course, how tough was it ?
    How do-able is it with a full time job?

also would a i3 4gb ram laptop suffice for this course?

It's reasonably doable but full on. 3 nights a week of f2f lectures is hard. The first semester is the toughest, if you get through that then you'll be fine.

That laptop is fine, the required level of processing power isn't that high

Could somebody post a timetable that they had for this course?

Could somebody post a timetable that they had for this course?

First semester was Mon, weds and Friday 6-10 and every second Saturday for 4 hours. The first semester modules were databases, programming, statistics and business analytics.

What date are the exams in May held?

What date are the exams in May held?

Like every institution, they will be on different days every year. Mine were between May 15th and 25th. Best to hold off booking any holidays until these are confirmed, as the repeat exams aren't on for a very long time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

was thinking of doing this course but having did a few of those intros on datacamp website it's put me off it completely. Incredibly boring

CBear1993 wrote: »
    was thinking of doing this course but having did a few of those intros on datacamp website it's put me off it completely. Incredibly boring

Haha, in that case you really shouldn't do the course then 🙂.

The Datacamp stuff is similar to what you'll be doing in the course, and from my experience in a job afterwards. Definitely can see how you could find it boring

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Cheers! better to have dabbed into it than throwing a pile of money at a course i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Rudblattner

Hey all,
    Quick question regarding the aptitude test.

Do anyone can give some idea of what it consists of? I just really want to get into the course and would love to be able to properly prepare myself.

I've bought the Udemy Bootcamp course and been studying that, as well as some Python and SQL.

Thanks!

There was no aptitude test when I took this course in 2018, maybe that's something new?

The entry criteria when I applied wasn't very stringent, you either had to have previously done a degree (in anything) or alternatively they offer RPL (recognition of prior learning). I think they go out of their way to accept people, however numbers are limited.

They don't assume that you know how to write code. It's a conversion course, so the majority of the class don't have an IT background.

Getting the basics of Python and SQL would be a big help, maybe R and statistics too. But like I said it's been a little while since I finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭The Omen 666

Hey all,
    Quick question regarding the aptitude test.

Do anyone can give some idea of what it consists of? I just really want to get into the course and would love to be able to properly prepare myself.

I've bought the Udemy Bootcamp course and been studying that, as well as some Python and SQL.

Thanks!

was just searching for same info actually

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Manion

Hi,

I was trying to apply for the MSC in data analytics but there does not appear to be a way to apply directly. I thought perhaps the first two semesters overlapped with the High Diploma but the modules appear appear slightly different with the HDip including some career change and springboard modules, though I'm sure these are of value they're not applicable to me. I've reached out to the administration office with no response yet. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bleuhh

Hi all. I will be starting this course next month. Does anyone know if the lectures will now be online or if we will be attending them in person at all?

Thank you

PS would also be nice to hear from anyone else who is due to begin this course! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

bleuhh wrote: »
    Hi all. I will be starting this course next month. Does anyone know if the lectures will now be online or if we will be attending them in person at all?

Thank you

PS would also be nice to hear from anyone else who is due to begin this course! :)

Congrats on getting a place!

I followed this thread when SB launched as I was looking at this course, but am going to be starting on the HDipin Data Analytics in Maynooth instead now.

Best of luck with it all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bleuhh

Congrats on getting a place!

I followed this thread when SB launched as I was looking at this course, but am going to be starting on the HDipin Data Analytics in Maynooth instead now.

Best of luck with it all!

Hey there! Thanks a million, I was delighted to secure the place. Are Maynooth going online now? I was going to apply there too as I did my undergrad there but it's a little bit far out for me and I am not driving!
    Best of luck with yours too!

Advertisement