Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bitmain Antminer L3+

Options
  • 06-11-2018 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭

Bitmain Antminer L3+ seems to be really cheap now $52 on there store. Is there any value left in buying one of these.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

It'll cost you more than it earns.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭banie01

https://www.asicminervalue.com/miners/bitmain/antminer-l3-504mh

Would seem to indicate that it will cost you money to run, a fair whack of it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Tango One

Cheers

I thought as much was more wondering was I missing out on any other possible use.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Tango One wrote: »
    Cheers

I thought as much was more wondering was I missing out on any other possible use.

Problem with ASIC miners is they're not general purpose devices. If you see a second hand GPU based miner going cheap that is potentially far more useful.

You can see why they are selling them off cheap. Quick calculation it will cost around 1k a year to keep running.

I think at 70db it might be a little loud under my desk in work lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

smacl wrote: »
    Problem with ASIC miners is they're not general purpose devices. If you see a second hand GPU based miner going cheap that is potentially far more useful.

With the huge benefit that you can run a GPU based miner in most rooms in your house without them being loud. So these then function as free heaters (even if the profitability is zero)

ASIC miners are too loud to be in the house. Hell they are even too loud to be in the shed at the end of your garden, unless you have a big garden :D

Still some value in using ASIC miners as educational tools. Very low investment to learn something about mining. Or for the classroom. And you could only power one of the chains / boards up (so you mine even less, but also have only a fraction of the electricity costs). I have a few for sale for people interested in this, see my adverts ads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

unkel wrote: »
    With the huge benefit that you can run a GPU based miner in most rooms in your house without them being loud. So these then function as free heaters (even if the profitability is zero)

ASIC miners are too loud to be in the house. Hell they are even too loud to be in the shed at the end of your garden, unless you have a big garden :D

Still some value in using ASIC miners as educational tools. Very low investment to learn something about mining. Or for the classroom. And you could only power one of the chains / boards up (so you mine even less, but also have only a fraction of the electricity costs). I have a few for sale for people interested in this, see my adverts ads
    Educating people about what? How to produce obscene amounts of carbon for magic coins at a net loss.

No wonder you are selling. Finally realised mining is a mugs game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Lol

Educating people about what? How to produce obscene amounts of carbon for magic coins at a net loss.

No wonder you are selling. Finally realised mining is a mugs game?

Mining is obviously another area of cryptocurrency you know / understand very little about, Pintman ;)

I'm mining away. With GPU based rigs making me decent coin (although a lot less than this time last year) and reducing my heating bill by about €300 over the winter

My miners run to a large extent on solar PV

And I haven't mined with the ASIC miners I mentioned. Bought them as a cheap package, was in need of one PSU, sold the other PSU, trying to sell the rest of the miners themselves to break even (and be left with a free PSU)

Is there a good return on investment with gpu mining.

• Advertisement

Depends on what you consider good. Provided you have reasonable electricity rates (always switch to the cheapest supplier every year, use a night rate meter) or even free electricity I would consider it. Also depends on how much you pay for your hardware. But with the current low value of the coins, profitability is not great

It's fairly easy to calculate. A 6 card rig makes about $3 per day. If you got free electricity, your rig pays for itself in just over a year and a half (and you have free heating). If you pay $0.20/kWh, you make a loss

This calculation can change drastically if the coin goes up or down

Linky

If you buy your hardware at low prices, it is a very low risk investment. Should all coins be worthless tomorrow, just dismantle your rig and sell the parts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

I have a few Antminers (for different coins) and one gpu miner. Pros and cons to both. If you get in on the first batch of an Antminer, I would recommend the following strategy. Set it up as soon as you can, slightly overclock it, and then sell it on just before the second batch comes out.

The demand will still be there. As for the later batches, I think they are generally only beneficial to the Antminer farms.

The gpu miner requires much less effort once setup. Find a room for it and just leave it ticking away. My gpu miner has mined just under 5 ETh in one year, so overall a considerable loss at today’s prices. But I’m not looking to make quick gains

Advertisement