Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Running two marathons within a month

• 03-11-2018 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭

I've recently completed DCM and am thinking of doing another marathon abroad on the 25th November.

I've taken this last week off so I presume if I'm to work in a week taper for the 25th then I've about two weeks of training I can fit in. Does this sound do-able?

What do people recommend in terms of those two weeks? I was thinking of fitting in one LSR (~20miles) and a couple of interval / pace runs a week. Basically taking the last two weeks before the taper of the plan I used for DCM and applying it to the next two weeks.

Does this sound reasonable or a recipe for disaster? I trained for 18 weeks for Dublin so think I'm in pretty good shape but haven't run two marathons so closely before.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

The attached is from Advanced Marathoning by P&D. It’s a plan for 4 weeks between marathons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

chabsey wrote: »
    I've recently completed DCM and am thinking of doing another marathon abroad on the 25th November.

I've taken this last week off so I presume if I'm to work in a week taper for the 25th then I've about two weeks of training I can fit in. Does this sound do-able?

What do people recommend in terms of those two weeks? I was thinking of fitting in one LSR (~20miles) and a couple of interval / pace runs a week. Basically taking the last two weeks before the taper of the plan I used for DCM and applying it to the next two weeks.

Does this sound reasonable or a recipe for disaster? I trained for 18 weeks for Dublin so think I'm in pretty good shape but haven't run two marathons so closely before.

Are you running or racing it? I done Köln and DCM three weeks apart but paced DCM 55mins slower than I raced Köln. No issues in doing it I say but if your an inexperienced marathoner take the second one handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭chabsey

OOnegative wrote: »
    Are you running or racing it? I done Köln and DCM three weeks apart but paced DCM 55mins slower than I raced Köln. No issues in doing it I say but if your an inexperienced marathoner take the second one handy.

Knowing me I'll probably push it hard enough, similarly to how I ran DCM. The course is much flatter though so I'm hoping for a quicker time than DCM. I won't be hugely bothered though if I don't race it, depends on weather etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

I did Manchester April 8th and Limerick may 6th.
    The four weeks between,I just did lots of very slow running on the treadmill.Except for 1 week out,12 miles easy on the road.If you do a 20 mile run,I would think you have a good chance of injury.I think (healy 1835)did Berlin and 4 week's later,he pulled of a sub 3 in Limerick.
    I was 6 minutes slower in Limerick than Manchester.
    Have a look at his log.(it's all in the try).He did some quality work,the four weeks between,and got the rewards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Is it the San Sebastián one?

I rabthr two last year , rested week one , and four.

Week 2 and 3 were just 5km, 10km 15km and 5km

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭chabsey

ted1 wrote: »

Was considering San Sebastian but it's difficult to get to so am thinking of Florence. How did you do in the San Sebastian one compared to DCM ? Did you take it easier?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

Was considering San Sebastian but it's difficult to get to so am thinking of Florence. How did you do in the San Sebastian one compared to DCM ? Did you take it easier?

You can fly to Bilbao with Aer lingus and there is a bus from the airport that brings you straight to San Sebastian. Takes about an hour. Looks like you would have to fly Friday to Monday which mightn't suit I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ted1 wrote: »

San Sebastián is very easy to get too!!

Fly to Bilbao and get the bus from outside arrivals. Every hour. (Similar story with birratzz but flights may end in October)

I did 15 minutes faster, we also had a great weekend 15 of us went some did the half, done did the 10 and 2 of us did the full. It’s great the three are on the sane day.

Deffo do it again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

As Kerrylad alluded to, I did indeed make a 4 week turnaround between Rotterdam & Limerick this year. Here's a post from my log re. same.....

So I suppose an update to the log is in order! Once I decided to go again in Limerick I visited these parts sparingly.
    I wouldn't say I was encouraged to run Limerick, but Sean said that if I felt I hadn't emptied the tank in Rotterdam (I definitely didn't) and if I felt mentally up to it (definitely maybe) then i could have a rattle at another marathon but it would have to be within 6 weeks and preferably sooner than that. Shout out to Tbl who reached out that Sunday afternoon in Rotterdam and suggested that maybe all wasn't lost, and if I went about things smartly then I could put this training block to use again.
    So the 4 weeks in between Limerick and Rotterdam looked a little something like this......

Week 1:

All Easy miles and I was back on the Tuesday after Rotterdam.

Week 2:
    Hill Session: 8x500m Braveheart Hill
    11k Easy
    30k LR @4:45/km
    10k Easy

Week 3:
    5mile tempo @4:06/km
    10k Easy
    24k MLR
    5 x 1Mile off 2mins (6:01, 5:57, 5:58, 5:56, 5:45)

Week 4:
    8k Easy
    12k Easy
    2m/2m MP/2m
    5k Easy
    5k Easy
    2m Easy

(* These 4 weeks also had their fair share of take aways, crap food, pints of Guinness, bottles of Tiger beer and so on. These didn't contribute to my performance in Limerick but they definitely topped up my mojo reserves which were in short supply after Rotterdam......)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

healy1835 wrote: »
    As Kerrylad alluded to, I did indeed make a 4 week turnaround between Rotterdam & Limerick this year. Here's a post from my log re. same.....

So I suppose an update to the log is in order! Once I decided to go again in Limerick I visited these parts sparingly.
    I wouldn't say I was encouraged to run Limerick, but Sean said that if I felt I hadn't emptied the tank in Rotterdam (I definitely didn't) and if I felt mentally up to it (definitely maybe) then i could have a rattle at another marathon but it would have to be within 6 weeks and preferably sooner than that. Shout out to Tbl who reached out that Sunday afternoon in Rotterdam and suggested that maybe all wasn't lost, and if I went about things smartly then I could put this training block to use again.
    So the 4 weeks in between Limerick and Rotterdam looked a little something like this......

Week 1:

All Easy miles and I was back on the Tuesday after Rotterdam.

Week 2:
    Hill Session: 8x500m Braveheart Hill
    11k Easy
    30k LR @4:45/km
    10k Easy

Week 3:
    5mile tempo @4:06/km
    10k Easy
    24k MLR
    5 x 1Mile off 2mins (6:01, 5:57, 5:58, 5:56, 5:45)

Week 4:
    8k Easy
    12k Easy
    2m/2m MP/2m
    5k Easy
    5k Easy
    2m Easy

(* These 4 weeks also had their fair share of take aways, crap food, pints of Guinness, bottles of Tiger beer and so on. These didn't contribute to my performance in Limerick but they definitely topped up my mojo reserves which were in short supply after Rotterdam......)
    Did you run a better time in Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Did you run a better time in Limerick?

Yeah, I had detonated at about 30k in Rotterdam, heat + poor hydration before and during the race did for me and I death shuffled home in 3:14, losing 15mins the last 10k or so. Wasn't injured and hadn't dipped into any reserves, so turned it around for 2:59 on another hot day in Limerick :)

Advertisement