Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

10K Running Advice needed

• 04-11-2018 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,966 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Hoping I may get some advice here. Up until end of June running wasn’t for me.

I decided quiet randomly to take on a half marathon. It went well and most importantly I loved the routine of running, having played team sport all my life it was a different buzz.

The last 3 weeks I’ve eased up a lot but trying to get going again and have decided with my work life etc 10k is the optimum distance for me with the time I have.

Where I am struggling right now is figuring out a training plan that works. I plan to train 6 mornings a week @ 6:30am which is what I had been doing since June.

However on 3 of the mornings I do strength training which can be quiet though on the body. (Mon, Wed, Fri). I am trying to figure out a running plan allowing me to keep these classes.

I have read around online and various apps but most of what I found doesn’t allow for weight training to the side in the plan.

My running times on my last runs where
    5k 25.02
    10k 54.02
    1/2 2hr.07

My goal is to just run, enjoy it at as fast a pace I can go but what I can’t work out is what distances pace etc I should target on the Tues/Thurs/Sun each week.

I have been getting out but I find without and actual training plan to follow I am not pushing myself or getting out every time.

Hoping someone here may have some advice or could point me to a good app/website or plan to look at.

Thanks
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,105 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Soups123 wrote: »
    Hi all

Hoping I may get some advice here. Up until end of June running wasn’t for me.

I decided quiet randomly to take on a half marathon. It went well and most importantly I loved the routine of running, having played team sport all my life it was a different buzz.

The last 3 weeks I’ve eased up a lot but trying to get going again and have decided with my work life etc 10k is the optimum distance for me with the time I have.

Where I am struggling right now is figuring out a training plan that works. I plan to train 6 mornings a week @ 6:30am which is what I had been doing since June.

However on 3 of the mornings I do strength training which can be quiet though on the body. (Mon, Wed, Fri). I am trying to figure out a running plan allowing me to keep these classes.

I have read around online and various apps but most of what I found doesn’t allow for weight training to the side in the plan.

My running times on my last runs where
    5k 25.02
    10k 54.02
    1/2 2hr.07

My goal is to just run, enjoy it at as fast a pace I can go but what I can’t work out is what distances pace etc I should target on the Tues/Thurs/Sun each week.

I have been getting out but I find without and actual training plan to follow I am not pushing myself or getting out every time.

Hoping someone here may have some advice or could point me to a good app/website or plan to look at.

Thanks
    Dave

6 mornings a week is overkill. Rest is just as important so a few off days will keep you fresh for your runs etc.

Your 5k pace is solid. You may need to look at dropping one 10k run for a while and use the time to do speed/tempo work to get your 10k pace in line with your 5k pace

Are you able to join your local parkrun. Most parkruns will have good marathon runners who could help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    6 mornings a week is overkill. Rest is just as important so a few off days will keep you fresh for your runs etc.

Not really. If you want to become as good a runner as you can be, 6 runs a week are the absolute minimum. Obviously you still need to be able to recover from it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,105 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Not really. If you want to become as good a runner as you can be, 6 runs a week are the absolute minimum. Obviously you still need to be able to recover from it all.

If your fitting in runs around a full time job you need quality over quantity. Running for the sake of it at times will just burn you out and leads to injury

Based on the times the OP posted it is definitely a case of Quality over quantity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

If your fitting in runs around a full time job you need quality over quantity. Running for the sake of it at times will just burn you out and leads to injury

Based on the times the OP posted it is definitely a case of Quality over quantity.
    A good balance is whats needed in my opinion. If you just focus on quality that can lead to problems too. I'd say 3 easy runs 45-60 minutes very low intensity, 1 speed session, 1 tempo session, 1 long run. Thats 6 runs a week with a day off recovery. Those easy low intensity runs are very important.

Edit: obviously you'd have to build up to 6 days a week over a long period to avoid injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

If your fitting in runs around a full time job

Most of the posters on here are fitting in runs around a full time job :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

This quality v quantity thing is a widely held belief but its wrong. A distance runner should concentrate on volume first. The correct amount of miles is as many as you can run without getting injured. For most runners "quality" running is their peoblem because they do not have the volume foundation to support it. Id estimate 9 out of every 10 runners would improve over every distance if they doubled their volume gradually without any speedwork apart from strides and hill sprints. Distance running is 95% areobic so the training should also be 95% areobic.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Anbocmorrua

Join your local running club. You'll get to meet like-minded people, make new friends and get access to a huge amount of training opportunities and advice. And you'll automatically run faster wearing their vest in your next race.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Anbocmorrua

Join your local running club. You'll get to meet like-minded people, make new friends and get access to a huge amount of training opportunities and advice. And you'll automatically run faster wearing their vest in your next race.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,966 ✭✭✭Soups123

Thank you all for the feedback.

Park run isn’t an option right now but could be after Xmas as we are looking at a house move. I’ll have a look at the local running club here.

Suggestions on 6 day running or adding more rest fine but I suppose my challenge is I commit with friends to 3 strength classes a weeks. Would you suggest I run on these days also or if I want to run at decent pace maybe drop these classes and focus on the runs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Soups123 wrote: »
    Suggestions on 6 day running or adding more rest fine but I suppose my challenge is I commit with friends to 3 strength classes a weeks. Would you suggest I run on these days also or if I want to run at decent pace maybe drop these classes and focus on the runs?

Focussing on running will definitely get you faster, quicker. You could try doing one or two days of class a week. Keep in mind "easy days easy, hard days hard" - you still need to recover from the class and runs, so will need to balance things out across the entire week. 6 days running and 3 classes a week sounds a lot to me, 5 and 2 could work, but do try to have a rest day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,966 ✭✭✭Soups123

Singer wrote: »
    Focussing on running will definitely get you faster, quicker. You could try doing one or two days of class a week. Keep in mind "easy days easy, hard days hard" - you still need to recover from the class and runs, so will need to balance things out across the entire week. 6 days running and 3 classes a week sounds a lot to me, 5 and 2 could work, but do try to have a rest day.

Thank you for taking the time, it’s greatly appreciated!

I was thinking
    Monday Run
    Tuesday Run
    Wednesday Strength 45mins
    Thurs Run
    Friday Strength 45mins
    Saturday Rest
    Sunday 10k

Suppose my question is what sort of runs do I do on the Mon, Tue, Thurs taking into account the Strength training and the overall aim of improving 10k running quality.

Apologies if there isn’t a simple answer to this

Advertisement