Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking chimneys

• 01-11-2018 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Given that Waterford is a smokeless fuel area I'm amazed at the amount of chimneys spewing forth great plumes of foul smelling smoke. How does this happen and is anybody in charge of monitoring it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Air quality in Waterford is affected by issues such as industrial emmissions, domestic and commerical heating, transport and waste activities. Waterford City and County Council has a role in the managing of these emmissions through the enforcement of the following:

Smoky Coal Ban
    Solvents and Decorative Paints
    Petroleum Vapour Regulations
    http://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/departments/environment/air.htm
    Contact the Environment Department
    0761 10 20 20
    contact@waterfordcouncil.ie

Environment Department, 4th Floor, Menapia Building, The Mall, Waterford, X91 PK15
    Opening Hours Monday to Friday, 9:30am to 1:00pm and 2:00pm to 4:00pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

beazee wrote: »

Is the ban not on the sale of smokey coal, rather than on the use of it?

If you had a tonne of coal in your coal bunker you would be expected to burn it and the next purchase would be of cleaner coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

Given that Waterford is a smokeless fuel area I'm amazed at the amount of chimneys spewing forth great plumes of foul smelling smoke. How does this happen and is anybody in charge of monitoring it?

You must leave some boring life.Going around looking at chimneys. Hate to be living next door to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭irishgoat

You must leave some boring life.Going around looking at chimneys. Hate to be living next door to you.

I agree fully. Boards is known to be 98% weirdo's so not surprising to see a post like the OP's to be honest, just disappointing to read them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Smokeless fuel is a stupid name but obviously some people are so daft as to take the name literally. Smokeless fuels can create the same amount of smoke as "smokey" fuels. The difference is that smokeless fuels contain far less harmful chemicals in the smoke. Turf is for example a smokeless fuel but just try burning it without making any smoke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gillman1998

I don't leave any life, boring or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gillman1998

irishgoat wrote: »
    I agree fully. Boards is known to be 98% weirdo's so not surprising to see a post like the OP's to be honest, just disappointing to read them.

There's nothing weird about not wanting the air polluted.

There's nothing weird about not wanting the air polluted.

Stop would ye. Your probably a supporter of the green party, I thought they were extinct by now, they should be at least.

There are real problems that need to be tackled not smoke coming from a chimney. People need to heat their houses regardless on their budget no matter what the poxy horrible government say.

Your entitled to your opinion and that's fine but I 1000% strongly disagree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Stop would ye. Your probably a supporter of the green party, I thought they were extinct by now, they should be at least.

There are real problems that need to be tackled not smoke coming from a chimney. People need to heat their houses regardless on their budget no matter what the poxy horrible government say.

Your entitled to your opinion and that's fine but I 1000% strongly disagree with you.

living up to your handle ,i see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

He definitely hit a nerve with you anyway ha. Your cracking up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

my3cents wrote: »
    Smokeless fuel is a stupid name but obviously some people are so daft as to take the name literally. Smokeless fuels can create the same amount of smoke as "smokey" fuels. The difference is that smokeless fuels contain far less harmful chemicals in the smoke. Turf is for example a smokeless fuel but just try burning it without making any smoke.

exactly....
    smokeless still smokes a lot .. just takes longer to kill u

He definitely hit a nerve with you anyway ha. Your cracking up.

Not really. I just find all this pollution and conserve electricity all nonsense. Ban light bulbs, lower emissions and don't leave your tv on stand by. Eh but look at all the city's lit up like christmas.

A real problem would be having an asshole neighbour with loud music or tormenting you in some way. But smoke coming from a chimney ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The information on this page might be useful to you ....... be sure to check the map linked to at the bottom of the page.

http://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/departments/environment/related/smoky-coal.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

I looked at that map and the 'Waterford Smoky Coal Ban Specified Area' is encroaching alarmingly into Co. Kilkenny. Wait till the Kilkenny People see this evidence of a Waterford smokeless fuel Trojan Horse land-grab lebensraum annexation.
    Kilkenny says Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Advertisement